Perry Cafeteria Renovation...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Sounds like it is going back to more the way it was when I was in school. I hate the current buffet-style setup in there.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
What are we doing? It's a pretty building. Why didn't we expand on that type of architecture?

View attachment 620876
I'm trying to like the rendering, but it looks odd as drawn. Maybe the end result will be better. Also, I haven't seen that side of Perry in so long, I honestly can't recall what it looked like, other than non-descript...

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
"Modernization" a buzz word for money grab from Aramark. Nowhere in the article does it mention the word "affordable".
The whole concept of a student cafeteria is to provide the students with decent food choices at affordable prices. And there is nothing wrong with a buffet style. They could do without the "all you can eat" option, we didn't have that back in the day and we survived. If you want fast food go to the Union. The worst thing they ever did was shut down the grill in the Union. Good food, good prices.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
What are we doing? It's a pretty building. Why didn't we expand on that type of architecture?

View attachment 620876
Another validation of my decision to stop giving

Reactions: InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
"Modernization" a buzz word for money grab from Aramark. Nowhere in the article does it mention the word "affordable".
The whole concept of a student cafeteria is to provide the students with decent food choices at affordable prices. And there is nothing wrong with a buffet style. They could do without the "all you can eat" option, we didn't have that back in the day and we survived. If you want fast food go to the Union. The worst thing they ever did was shut down the grill in the Union. Good food, good prices.
Aramark….

Come On Wow GIF by BrownSugarApp

Reactions: dawgman42

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
My son said it is only open for lunch? He says the Fresh Market or whatever its called it awful.

So sad. Perry used to be the a differentiator. We are willing to dedicate so much money to the student experience (fancy dorms), but won't spend a little more on the cafeteria.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Arnept

Nov 26, 2023
My son said it is only open for lunch? He says the Fresh Market or whatever its called it awful.

So sad. Perry used to be the a differentiator. We are willing to dedicate so much money to the student experience (fancy dorms), but won't spend a little more on the cafeteria.
Perry will not be open at all this year. They'll stage a bunch of food trucks in the Perry plaza area. I disagree with the need to renovated Perry, but for anybody worried about the look changing, the east side of the building shouldn't be having any sort of physical change.

I agree. Fresh is garbage and I feel bad for the incoming freshmen with their crazy expensive meal plan with only Fresh to eat at.

Reactions: eckie1

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yes. Perry was only open for lunch. Only "fresh" and the Union is open for supper.

The construction is only planned for the north end. Which isn't part of the original building. That north side is an eye sore and is upgrades are needed badly.

The east side architecture of Perry will remain.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It has changed a lot already, but the last time I was in there was 1996. I expect the entire school to have a lot of changes but all for the better.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Rosalind’s mom Searcy was our cook at our fraternity house. Ms Searcy could put some pounds on you. Rosalind was very nice, her whole demeanor making omelets was an act.
One morning I was eating breakfast at Perry and Ron Polk and Skip Bertman came in and sit at the table next to me. I couldn’t overhear their conversation, but you could tell they were good friends.

I don’t understand why MSU turned food services and concessions over to Aramark. I would think there would be potential to make a good bit of $$$ if MSU ran it internally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anon1704414204

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Rosalind’s mom Searcy was our cook at our fraternity house. Ms Searcy could put some pounds on you. Rosalind was very nice, her whole demeanor making omelets was an act.
One morning I was eating breakfast at Perry and Ron Polk and Skip Bertman came in and sit at the table next to me. I couldn’t overhear their conversation, but you could tell they were good friends.

I don’t understand why MSU turned food services and concessions over to Aramark. I would think there would be potential to make a good bit of $$$ if MSU ran it internally.
STATE has no bidness contracting out food services IMO due to our AG Prowess. As a nutrition nerd I'm always reading up on types of food that promote increased mental and physical health. I realize it would be expensive but having self produced world class food would get the attention of many around the country. I think it would be a great investment that would payoff big time in lots of ways including athletics.

Also, is there a valid reason why it has to be closed an entire academic year not reopening till Aug '25? Is this the most "Not Gonna Be Done In Time" STATE thing ever?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
STATE has no bidness contracting out food services IMO due to our AG Prowess. As a nutrition nerd I'm always reading up on types of food that promote increased mental and physical health. I realize it would be expensive but having self produced world class food would get the attention of many around the country. I think it would be a great investment that would payoff big time in lots of ways including athletics.

Also, is there a valid reason why it has to be closed sn entire academic year not reopening till Aug '25? Is this the most "Not Gonna Be Done In Time" STATE thing ever?
Maybe we are gonna start growing our stuff in that greenhouse they are building.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Maybe we are gonna start growing our stuff in that greenhouse they are building.
Hope so. I mean if tsun can grow weed, why can't STATE grow maters, greens, asparagus, kale and other stuff alien to UT coaches?

And that reminds me of another question regarding the addition of The Nutless Bullocks. Will we hafta start saying "UTw" and "UTe"?

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

View attachment 620876
Because it would be incredibly expensive to recreate the gothic architecture of the main building. Steel and glass is cheaper than brick and custom wood windows and doors.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

Also, is there a valid reason why it has to be closed an entire academic year not reopening till Aug '25? Is this the most "Not Gonna Be Done In Time" STATE thing ever?
A self sustaining cafeteria takes quite a bit of resources. Not saying it isn’t doable but on that scale it would take a lot of work.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
They could do without the "all you can eat" option, we didn't have that back in the day and we survived. If you want fast food go to the Union. The worst thing they ever did was shut down the grill in the Union. Good food, good prices.

Actually, All You Can Eat is maybe the best aspect of it for the students.

All You Can Eat has become increasingly common because:

“Prior to the pandemic, a staggering 30 percent of all college students experienced food insecurity at some point in their college careers. According to the most recent Hope Survey from fall 2020, 38 percent of students in two-year colleges and 29 percent of students at four-year colleges reported experiencing food insecurity in the previous 30 days. The report also highlighted significant racial and ethnic disparities: 75 percent of Indigenous, 70 percent Black, and 70 percent of American Indian or Alaska Native students experienced food insecurity, housing insecurity or homelessness, compared to 54 percent of White students.”

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Maroon Eagle cited:

https://www.healthaffairs.org/content/forefront/food-insecurity-college-campuses-invisible-epidemic

Be careful with what you find on the internet. A list of funders for Health Affairs list the following major organizations. Information courtesy of Microsoft Copilot. There could be a level of liberal bias in their data. Fact bias seems to be pervasive in our society today on both sides of the aisle.

• Arnold Ventures: This organization focuses on various policy areas, including criminal justice reform, health care, and education. While it may not explicitly identify as liberal, its emphasis on evidence-based solutions aligns with liberal principles.
  • Cambia Health Foundation: As a health-focused foundation, Cambia’s work may not directly relate to political ideology. However, its commitment to improving health care access and equity could be seen as consistent with liberal values.
  • Colorado Health Foundation: Similar to Cambia, this foundation’s primary focus is health and well-being. Its efforts to address health disparities and promote health equity align with liberal goals.
  • Con Alma Health Foundation: Con Alma’s mission is to improve health in New Mexico. While not explicitly political, its focus on health equity and community well-being reflects liberal ideals.
  • Conrad N. Hilton Foundation: This foundation supports various causes, including global health, education, and homelessness. While not strictly liberal, its emphasis on humanitarian efforts and social impact aligns with some liberal values.
  • Episcopal Health Foundation: As a faith-based organization, the Episcopal Health Foundation may not fit neatly into political categories. However, its commitment to health and well-being resonates with liberal concerns.
  • Kaiser Permanente: As a health care provider, Kaiser Permanente’s primary focus is on health services. While not explicitly political, its commitment to accessible health care aligns with liberal goals.
  • Perigee Fund: This foundation focuses on gender equality and reproductive justice. Its work aligns with liberal principles related to individual rights and equality.
  • Public Health Accreditation Board: This organization accredits public health departments. Its role is administrative rather than ideological, so it doesn’t directly align with liberal or conservative thinking.
  • Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: This foundation works on health and health care issues. While not explicitly liberal, its focus on health equity and social determinants of health reflects some liberal concerns.
  • The California Endowment, The California Healthcare Foundation, and The California Wellness Foundation: These California-based foundations primarily focus on health and well-being. Their work aligns with liberal goals related to health equity and social justice.
  • The Commonwealth Fund: This foundation focuses on health care research and policy. Its work often aligns with liberal efforts to improve health care access and quality.
  • W.K. Kellogg Foundation: While not explicitly political, this foundation emphasizes racial equity, community well-being, and education. These priorities resonate with liberal values.
Just saying......

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Nov 22, 2023
Hope so. I mean if tsun can grow weed, why can't STATE grow maters, greens, asparagus, kale and other stuff alien to UT coaches?

And that reminds me of another question regarding the addition of The Nutless Bullocks. Will we hafta start saying "UTw" and "UTe"?
Whichever one I'm addressing in front of their fans I refer to as little UT and the other as the Real UT. When I want to make an actual distinction, I use burnt orange and DOC orange as my descriptors.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Actually, All You Can Eat is maybe the best aspect of it for the students.

All You Can Eat has become increasingly common because:

“Prior to the pandemic, a staggering 30 percent of all college students experienced food insecurity at some point in their college careers. According to the most recent Hope Survey from fall 2020, 38 percent of students in two-year colleges and 29 percent of students at four-year colleges reported experiencing food insecurity in the previous 30 days. The report also highlighted significant racial and ethnic disparities: 75 percent of Indigenous, 70 percent Black, and 70 percent of American Indian or Alaska Native students experienced food insecurity, housing insecurity or homelessness, compared to 54 percent of White students.”

When you prioritize vapes, alcohol, and fast food this is the outcome.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
When you prioritize vapes, alcohol, and fast food this is the outcome.
Eh. It’s more than that.

The college where I was employed before I retired from the state had a lot of low income first generation students.

We’ve seen and know about all the posts here about the price of food increasing.

As much of a struggle that middle class folk have had, the working poor are having more difficulties.

So. All you can eat cafeteria food is the answer: at least for students.

Back to your answer: vapes and alcohol is really more of a middle class thing.

I’ll give you fast food though since it’s supposed to be cheaper.

Supposed to. And we complain about their price increases.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Maroon Eagle cited:

https://www.healthaffairs.org/content/forefront/food-insecurity-college-campuses-invisible-epidemic

Be careful with what you find on the internet. A list of funders for Health Affairs list the following major organizations.

Yeah, I know the source but the findings track with my experiences. See the executive summary of my response to peewee:

The college where I was employed before I retired from the state had a lot of low income first generation students.

We’ve seen and know about all the posts here about the price of food increasing.

As much of a struggle that middle class folk have had, the working poor are having more difficulties.

So. All you can eat cafeteria food is the answer: at least for students.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login