Perry Cafeteria Renovation...

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Bunch of old grumps on this thread. GET OFF MY LAWN!
New York Yankees Thumbs Down GIF by MLB

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Maroon Eagle cited:

https://www.healthaffairs.org/content/forefront/food-insecurity-college-campuses-invisible-epidemic

Be careful with what you find on the internet. A list of funders for Health Affairs list the following major organizations. Information courtesy of Microsoft Copilot. There could be a level of liberal bias in their data. Fact bias seems to be pervasive in our society today on both sides of the aisle.
  • Arnold Ventures: This organization focuses on various policy areas, including criminal justice reform, health care, and education. While it may not explicitly identify as liberal, its emphasis on evidence-based solutions aligns with liberal principles.
  • Cambia Health Foundation: As a health-focused foundation, Cambia’s work may not directly relate to political ideology. However, its commitment to improving health care access and equity could be seen as consistent with liberal values.
  • Colorado Health Foundation: Similar to Cambia, this foundation’s primary focus is health and well-being. Its efforts to address health disparities and promote health equity align with liberal goals.
  • Con Alma Health Foundation: Con Alma’s mission is to improve health in New Mexico. While not explicitly political, its focus on health equity and community well-being reflects liberal ideals.
  • Conrad N. Hilton Foundation: This foundation supports various causes, including global health, education, and homelessness. While not strictly liberal, its emphasis on humanitarian efforts and social impact aligns with some liberal values.
  • Episcopal Health Foundation: As a faith-based organization, the Episcopal Health Foundation may not fit neatly into political categories. However, its commitment to health and well-being resonates with liberal concerns.
  • Kaiser Permanente: As a health care provider, Kaiser Permanente’s primary focus is on health services. While not explicitly political, its commitment to accessible health care aligns with liberal goals.
  • Perigee Fund: This foundation focuses on gender equality and reproductive justice. Its work aligns with liberal principles related to individual rights and equality.
  • Public Health Accreditation Board: This organization accredits public health departments. Its role is administrative rather than ideological, so it doesn’t directly align with liberal or conservative thinking.
  • Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: This foundation works on health and health care issues. While not explicitly liberal, its focus on health equity and social determinants of health reflects some liberal concerns.
  • The California Endowment, The California Healthcare Foundation, and The California Wellness Foundation: These California-based foundations primarily focus on health and well-being. Their work aligns with liberal goals related to health equity and social justice.
  • The Commonwealth Fund: This foundation focuses on health care research and policy. Its work often aligns with liberal efforts to improve health care access and quality.
  • W.K. Kellogg Foundation: While not explicitly political, this foundation emphasizes racial equity, community well-being, and education. These priorities resonate with liberal values.
Just saying......
Kinda like BP promoting sustainable energy?**********

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
A self sustaining cafeteria takes quite a bit of resources. Not saying it isn’t doable but on that scale it would take a lot of work.
Yeah, for sure. My point is, we invest in other things that are supposed to improve student life, why not this? It's unique. You can lose money on the cafeteria and look at it as an investment.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Kinda like BP promoting sustainable energy?**********

Well… ExxonMobil bought Denbury — which is heavily involved in my hometown — last year…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah, for sure. My point is, we invest in other things that are supposed to improve student life, why not this? It's unique. You can lose money on the cafeteria and look at it as an investment.
That’s exactly how it used to be perceived.

But then the politicians and accountants started pushing for privatization.

Reactions: MarkDallas

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I know… I thought a lot like y’all at first. It’s important to college students though.

A lot of universities also have food pantries.

Here are a couple paragraphs from CBS news earlier this year:

“And the problem of student food insecurity isn't unique to UC Davis. There are now close to 800 food pantries on college campuses across the country, according to the nonprofit Trellis Company. A decade ago, there were just 80.”

“Cashin said the pantry helps lift a "huge" load off her shoulders and that if it weren't available, "it would absolutely affect my academic performance. It would definitely affect mental health."

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
The omelets were still the bomb in the early 2000s. Made happily by the griddle nazi.

I ate at Perry every chance I got. It was great.
I loved that lady and her scowl. The only time I ever saw her smile was when I brought my newborn son up there for breakfast with my wife. Every day before and after I swear to God she would only be happy if I got hit by a truck. She made a hell of an omelette though.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
They could do without the "all you can eat" option,

I worked at mazzios when the manager got the word that we could add "buffet" and she thought it was fantastic to have it at midnight on Friday and Saturday....it took one day to find out how dumb her handle was on the concept. One guy came in...with 5 "I'm not gonna eat" friends....5 to six pizzas later, the manager had to visit them and others.

I really don't see how some places can do the buffet I'd you aren't charging an entry fee.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I know… I thought a lot like y’all at first. It’s important to college students though.

A lot of universities also have food pantries.

Here are a couple paragraphs from CBS news earlier this year:

“And the problem of student food insecurity isn't unique to UC Davis. There are now close to 800 food pantries on college campuses across the country, according to the nonprofit Trellis Company. A decade ago, there were just 80.”

“Cashin said the pantry helps lift a "huge" load off her shoulders and that if it weren't available, "it would absolutely affect my academic performance. It would definitely affect mental health."

MSU has had a university food pantry for couple years now and there are several cabinets around Starkville that the public can contribute to also

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login