Phil Longo......

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He, Braden Locke and Wiscy have Ohio State coming up Saturday night, and it's about the only decent game in the night slot. Not sure if the whole Air Raid deal is just a dead issue at MSU, but could he be a coaching candidate after next year? Assuming we do keep Arnett another year, which is about assured now if Ole Miss doesn't totally embarrass us.

Locke won't be able to come back, but Longo with Parson could be Johnny Football type stuff. That's assuming Parson is the savior everyone expects him to be.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
He, Braden Locke and Wiscy have Ohio State coming up Saturday night, and it's about the only decent game in the night slot. Not sure if the whole Air Raid deal is just a dead issue at MSU, but could he be a coaching candidate after next year? Assuming we do keep Arnett another year, which is about assured now if Ole Miss doesn't totally embarrass us.

Locke won't be able to come back, but Longo with Parson could be Johnny Football type stuff. That's assuming Parson is the savior everyone expects him to be.
I like Longo's AR system. I watched Locke play in his first start and the offense did well under a RS Freshman. He won the game for them by dropping a pass in the perfect spot and then a TD on a GREAT play design.

I do not know that Longo would want a HC job. Seems to me that as well as he has done, he would have had offers and would have taken one of them.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

Longo loves to run the ball which is why his pass g game is effective:

To Longo’s point, the Tar Heels led the ACC with 197.5 rushing yards per game and ranked second in the conference with 102 rushing scores over the last four seasons. They rushed for 172.5 yards per game in 2019 (47th in the nation), 236.3 in 2020 (11th), 205.2 in 2021 (23rd) and 143.3 in 2022 (73rd). North Carolina rushed more than it passed in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

To Longo’s point, the Tar Heels led the ACC with 197.5 rushing yards per game and ranked second in the conference with 102 rushing scores over the last four seasons. They rushed for 172.5 yards per game in 2019 (47th in the nation), 236.3 in 2020 (11th), 205.2 in 2021 (23rd) and 143.3 in 2022 (73rd). North Carolina rushed more than it passed in 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Sounds like exactly what our fanbase wants.

I still say that the passing of the Air Raid opens up the run, rather than the other way around. Whether you choose to run it or not is up to you.

Running to set up the pass is hard to do, from what I've seen in the past. You better have some elite WRs that can get open.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Longo is a good OC and runs a good balanced system. Not sure about head coach. He is a top dollar tier OC so I doubt he would leave a big program for OC job.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Is this the same Longo that Univ of Northern MS fired a few years ago as offensive coordinator?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

UNC offense under Longo – 2019-2022

Passing Yards 1st 3rd 14,781
Passing TDs 1st 4th 131
Passer Rating 1st 4th 161.6
Rushing Yards 1st 4th 10,074
Total Offense 1st 5th 487.4
Scoring 3rd 9th 36.1

In 2021, The QBs ran it 196 times. His stops at Ole Miss was balanced too between passing and running but more passing attempts. But his version of the AR is a good one.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Where he averaged over 500 yards of offense per game.

I simply asked Goat if it is the same guy. But since you brought it up I looked it up, they were 11-13 overall and 4-12 with him as the OC. Also see that as a HC his record is 7-14. I don't care how damn many yards they gained, the W is what you play for

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I simply asked Goat if it is the same guy. But since you brought it up I looked it up, they were 11-13 overall and 4-12 with him as the OC. Also see that as a HC his record is 7-14. I don't care how damn many yards they gained, the W is what you play for
He wasn't the DC.

Scoring is what he was responsible for and scoring he did.

2017- The defense was ranked 115th while the offense was ranked 18th.
2018- The defense was ranked 121st while the offense improved to 9th over all.

Yes yes... DAMN that 9th ranked offense because the DEFENSE sucks! So WINS COUNT!***** LOL!

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
The won loss record has nothing to do with the OC if the team is averaging 500 yards a game. longo was one of the top OCs in the country coming out of UNC. Hed be about 10000 times better than what we have now.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
The won loss record has nothing to do with the OC if the team is averaging 500 yards a game. longo was one of the top OCs in the country coming out of UNC. Hed be about 10000 times better than what we have now.
Yep and created the 18th ranked offense in year one and bettered the scoring offense. Year 2 ranked 9th.

Yep I would take him in a heart beat over what we have

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If that is your opinion, then you're an idiot. Can't help you.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Yep and created the 18th ranked offense in year one and bettered the scoring offense. Year 2 ranked 9th.

Yep I would take him in a heart beat over what we have
Locke is a stud. I was reading the Wisconsin board, they think he is going to be a 4 year starter for them. swagger and ice water in his veins. he was probably going to be a bit better than Graham Harrell for Leach. his younger brother is just as good and is going to give them another four years.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Are you going to apply that same logic when evaluating Arnett? After all….he’s not the OC….
Arnett is the HC! He is the one that hired the DC and the OC (after he started filling the staff). Yep.. as a HC, it's all on you. And while he is not that OC he has directed the OC in game.

He stated today "The way the flow of that game was going and the way the defense was playing, you're going to be a little more conservative."

So yes.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Locke is a stud. I was reading the Wisconsin board, they think he is going to be a 4 year starter for them. swagger and ice water in his veins. he was probably going to be a bit better than Graham Harrell for Leach. his younger brother is just as good and is going to give them another four years.
And he left because he wanted to play in an AR system.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Arnett is the HC! He is the one that hired the DC and the OC (after he started filling the staff). Yep.. as a HC, it's all on you. And while he is not that OC he has directed the OC in game.

He stated today "The way the flow of that game was going and the way the defense was playing, you're going to be a little more conservative."

So yes.
I deleted OP, poor reading comprehension on my part. Thought you were saying something else. Apologies.

Reactions: Ibdancin

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It really is a damn shame how it happened here. There were a lot of reports out of our practice that Locke was very good.

I swear man, the way the Mike Leach era ended really just has me questioning all things MSU football. The dead ones are real.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Well he was very smart to avoid this train wreck. Arnett would probably have him running draws up the middle on third down.
LOL!

You know, there is a system that allows great passing and great run game that attracts QBs and WRs and RBs... It's called the AR.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
It really is a damn shame how it happened here. There were a lot of reports out of our practice that Locke was very good.

I swear man, the way the Mike Leach era ended really just has me questioning all things MSU football. The dead ones are real.

It's almost like after the baseball natty....the Good Lord told me to turn loose of college sports fandom.
Locke holds a bunch of records for Texas in I think 6a, it was sort of obvious the guy had the pedigree. He’s showing plus accuracy and touch and a surprising strong arm, more so than Mordecai the Starter According to Wisconsin. smart, film junky.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Locke holds a bunch of records for Texas in I think 6a, it was sort of obvious the guy had the pedigree. He’s showing plus accuracy and touch and a surprising strong arm, more so than Mordecai the Starter According to Wisconsin. smart, film junky.
So did Sawyer Robertson, but after practice here, everybody was saying that Locke was going to be the #2 guy this year and had easily passed him. Which is hilarious because everybody thought Robertson was the savior. It never works out like we think. I won't even anoint Chris Parson until I see it from him.

But it was clear that Leach and Co. definitely knew what they were doing.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
So did Sawyer Robertson, but after practice here, everybody was saying that Locke was going to be the #2 guy this year and had easily passed him. Which is hilarious because everybody thought Robertson was the savior. It never works out like we think. I won't even anoint Chris Parson until I see it from him.

I don’t know if Sawyer eventually develops, but Locke is really good. One difference is Sawyer played in smaller class ball and Locke dominated in large class Texas football. Locke has the brain and personality you want In a qb. never gets rattled, always confident and poise.

Locke is quite a bit better than Will right now as a freshman IMO.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t know if Sawyer eventually develops, but Locke is really good. One difference is Sawyer played in smaller class ball and Locke dominated in large class Texas football. Locke has the brain and personality you want In a qb. never gets rattled, always confident and poise.

Locke is quite a bit better than Will right now as a freshman IMO.
That's another reason that I'm close to giving up. I've been clamoring for a 'system' coach forever, and we finally get one (the father of all offensive 'systems') and he dies unexpectedly. It's obvious he knows QBs, and they all miss on a few, so I give a pass for Robertson. While Rogers isn't a world beater, the fact that Leach ID'ed him and got that much out of him was simply amazing. And obviously Locke was going to be good.

And at first I didn't like the treatment of Garrett Shrader. But I think it's obvious now, after 3 years of starting at Cuse, that he's not an NFL caliber QB but is a very good athlete. And that's fine, Shrader made the right move, even if he knew he's not a pro QB, it's always good to get showcased, and maybe he gets a shot at the NFL as a WR or TE, like many others do. He wasn't going to get showcased even as a WR in the Air Raid.

I deleted my post about fandom above though, because I'm still convinced we can compete and will continue to compete in basketball/baseball :ROFLMAO:. But football, with the mass amounts of money needed, and the dysfunction and differing opinion regarding what we need to do.....eh, I'm just not sure I care much anymore.

Reactions: blitz2Win

patdog

May 28, 2007

Meanwhile since they’ve left Robertson qb rating is under 100 with 1 TD & 5 interceptions. And Locke is barely above 100 with 51% completion percentage. It’s almost as if Leach knew what the hell he was doing starting Will.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Locke has one start and put up 18 points in the fourth quarter to win the game for Wisconsin As a freshman.

Reactions: Ibdancin

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He wasn't the DC.

Scoring is what he was responsible for and scoring he did.

2017- The defense was ranked 115th while the offense was ranked 18th.
2018- The defense was ranked 121st while the offense improved to 9th over all.

Yes yes... DAMN that 9th ranked offense because the DEFENSE sucks! So WINS COUNT!***** LOL!
and they fired him at the same time that they fired the defensive coordinator, interesting..........

Edited to say my bad, apparently he wasn't necessarily fired, articles say he left

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
and they fired him at the same time that they fired the defensive coordinator, interesting..........
Doesn't sound like they fired him to me, coming straight from the biased beat: https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2018/12/11/reports-phil-longo-leaving-ole-miss-for-unc/

Of course, a day later, the hit piece comes outs: https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2018/12/12/phil-longos-departure-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-ole-miss/.

Sounds a lot like the idiotic faction of our own fanbase.

And considering Mack Brown hired him to lead his initial teams at UNC, and he set records there as well, then got another job at Wisconsin........I say again, you're an idiot. Your viewpoint here is just so far beyond ridiculous.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Doesn't sound like they fired him to me, coming straight from the biased beat: https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2018/12/11/reports-phil-longo-leaving-ole-miss-for-unc/

Of course, a day later, the hit piece comes outs: https://www.oxfordeagle.com/2018/12/12/phil-longos-departure-a-blessing-in-disguise-for-ole-miss/.

Sounds a lot like the idiotic faction of our own fanbase.

And considering Mack Brown hired him to lead his initial teams at UNC, and he set records there as well, then got another job at Wisconsin........I say again, you're an idiot. Your viewpoint here is just so far beyond ridiculous.
Goat, calling someone else an idiot.........

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Sounds like exactly what our fanbase wants.

I still say that the passing of the Air Raid opens up the run, rather than the other way around. Whether you choose to run it or not is up to you.

Running to set up the pass is hard to do, from what I've seen in the past. You better have some elite WRs that can get open.
Running to set up the pass is the entire basis of the OM offense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login