Pico

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Damn it. Hope we see him again in 2025. Best of luck to him in the recovery.
This is what sucks the most about that injury and recovery. Most times it's 1.5 years before they are normal again. Football players tear ACLs and come back quicker.

I know they have that new tape technique that's technically not TJ, but only a few guys qualify for it.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
This is what sucks the most about that injury and recovery. Most times it's 1.5 years before they are normal again. Football players tear ACLs and come back quicker.

I know they have that new tape technique that's technically not TJ, but only a few guys qualify for it.
And ACL and a UCL have completely different surgery trauma and completely different recovery tracks. ACL surgeries are recovered from much faster, period. Not just football players.

TJ is not a 1.5 year recovery, unless they develop thoracic outlet syndrome. Most times you're soft tossing by six months and ramping up to full speed by a year.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
TJ is not a 1.5 year recovery, unless they develop thoracic outlet syndrome. Most times you're soft tossing by six months and ramping up to full speed by a year.

I’m not sure about that. Auger / Simmons sure aren’t full speed after a year. I don’t believe Sims is back to full speed yet. Ginn didn’t really start throwing bullpens again until about 14-16 months after surgery. There’s also certainly a re-acclimation period to build back stamina and precision even after you are “full speed” from a medical perspective.

I do think the rehab is longer for college athletes than professional ones, too. They can’t spend all day every day in therapy with class workload and still doing other team activities beyond games / practices. And I think they are also more careful since they are trying to be drafted to make sure they don’t have a setback.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Any idea why they waited so long to do it? He hasn't thrown this year at all, could have been using this whole season to heal

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Any idea why they waited so long to do it? He hasn't thrown this year at all, could have been using this whole season to heal

This is a great question. It has obviously been bothering him since way before the season started (at latest). And perhaps longer than that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is a great question. It has obviously been bothering him since way before the season started (at latest). And perhaps longer than that.
Most people don't want to believe it's actually happening. It's a tough decision, where there are many variables, especially when it's soreness rather than a pop/total tear.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Most people don't want to believe it's actually happening. It's a tough decision, where there are many variables, especially when it's soreness rather than a pop/total tear.

But if that soreness lasts longer than just a week or two, why not just go ahead and get the MRI? It certainly seems this drug out a lot longer than it should have.

And the real shame might be that there’s a good chance he won’t get to throw in live competition before the 2024 draft, and thus will lose his leverage year and get stuck with a crappy signing bonus in the 2025 draft, unless some team just goes out on a huge limb for him.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

And even the pitchers that do qualify for it often opt for the full blown TJ anyway, because that suture method is more of a band-aid than permanent fix….and greatly increases chances of a 2nd surgery to do actual TJ. And going in twice makes the odds of career ending outcome much higher.

That patchwork surgery is more geared towards QB’s, non-pitchers, or other athletes that don’t put the same or any stress on the elbow as a baseball pitcher.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
I’m not sure about that. Auger / Simmons sure aren’t full speed after a year. I don’t believe Sims is back to full speed yet. Ginn didn’t really start throwing bullpens again until about 14-16 months after surgery. There’s also certainly a re-acclimation period to build back stamina and precision even after you are “full speed” from a medical perspective.

I do think the rehab is longer for college athletes than professional ones, too. They can’t spend all day every day in therapy with class workload and still doing other team activities beyond games / practices. And I think they are also more careful since they are trying to be drafted to make sure they don’t have a setback.
Sims is full bore. Ive seen a couple of his bullpen sessions posted from the Diamondback pages in Scottsdale. Pico has a long way to go no doubt.

Reactions: Perd Hapley

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I get to look forward to a full knee replacement this summer. Joy joy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login