Pinehurst doing it's thing again

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Everyone needs to play #2 at Bel Air in Tupelo at least once if you want to really experience a turtle back green. That was one sadistic bastard who built that green.
Or every green at West Point Country Club.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Any of yall ever play in Charlie Donald's MSU tournament at Mosswood CC in Port Gibson ? Course was a goat ranch but the tournament was great. Good Times

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Man Rory is a *****. Hate to see it. Handed an open away. Bryson with an amazing long bunker shot to get the tap in to win.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Rory with an absolute collapse. Yet another runner up finish in a major. He just doesn’t seem to have what it takes between the ears. Hell of a bunker shot by Bryson to save par and win it on the 18th.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Rory with an absolute collapse. Yet another runner up finish in a major. He just doesn’t seem to have what it takes between the ears. Hell of a bunker shot by Bryson to save par and win it on the 18th.
That was a hell of a bunker shot.
And he deserves to win.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Rory might as well give it up. Already has tons of scar tissue and now this.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Rory is an incredible golfer, but mentally he is just flaky.
Feel like he's spent the later half of his career trying to be a perfectionist instead of being a killer competitively. Being technically perfect doesn't get you a big win. Being a mental juggernaut does. Grow some balls and join ranks of Tiger, Jack, Arnie, Gary etc. Talent is there the instincts are not. Hate to see the talent not see its full potential.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Woman troubles. Remember when Tiger went through it?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The tournament was decided yesterday. DeChambeau was throwing darts yesterday; it was unreal.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I never cared for courses where one guy's approach leaves a 10 footer and the other guy's rolls off just cuz it was a yard or so different. Both damn good shots but one guy gets a deserved go at birdie and the other gets 17'd. I like to see good shots rewarded and bad ones penalized. Too much luck involved most times at the U.S. Open.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So............. Who is playing in the Bulldog Initiative scramble in a late July?

$1,200 per person.......but you get a custom fitted Titleist wedge. Not sure the value on that wedge. I understand last year they gave away Scotty Cameron putters.....$400 value. Nice!

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I did a hat flip and started rooting for Rory at the end just because of the PGA v LIV thing.......but man.....what an exciting finish. DeChambeau is a good dude. I wish he was playing exclusively in the PGA but...playing the majors is entertaining enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawg1976

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I never cared for courses where one guy's approach leaves a 10 footer and the other guy's rolls off just cuz it was a yard or so different. Both damn good shots but one guy gets a deserved go at birdie and the other gets 17'd. I like to see good shots rewarded and bad ones penalized. Too much luck involved most times at the U.S. Open.
I understand your reasoning, but just landing on the green doesn't mean it is a good shot. They know coming in where on the green they should hit the ball. On most golf courses when a pin is tucked close to a bunker there is a yard difference between a great result and a bad result. It is very obvious visually. At Pinehurst it is just not as visually obvious.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I understand your reasoning, but just landing on the green doesn't mean it is a good shot. They know coming in where on the green they should hit the ball. On most golf courses when a pin is tucked close to a bunker there is a yard difference between a great result and a bad result. It is very obvious visually. At Pinehurst it is just not as visually obvious.
Yep, but a yard?... Don't care much for those small but deep bunkers in the middle of fairways on the other side of the pond either.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Yep, but a yard?... Don't care much for those small but deep bunkers in the middle of fairways on the other side of the pond either.
It's an inch at some point. You always hear that statement in all sports "It's a game of inches". Yes it is weird that landing your shot well onto a green can be bad. When they play the links courses for the Open Championship there are times when you can't land on the green. You must land short of the green and roll onto the green. Pinehurst #2 was designed as a links course.

Is the margin of error very small? Yes it is. And for major championships it is intentional to also bring in handling adversity. I agree that I don't enjoy that every week, but for these few tournaments, it is ok.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
We're going to be there next week on #2 and I think #8 for a tournament. Watching this weekend makes me nervous, hopefully they'll slow things down a little bit.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Everyone needs to play #2 at Bel Air in Tupelo at least once if you want to really experience a turtle back green. That was one sadistic bastard who built that green.
Sunkist in Biloxi, pretty much every green. Also one in Vicksburg too, state championship was there a few years ago.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
It's an inch at some point. You always hear that statement in all sports "It's a game of inches". Yes it is weird that landing your shot well onto a green can be bad. When they play the links courses for the Open Championship there are times when you can't land on the green. You must land short of the green and roll onto the green. Pinehurst #2 was designed as a links course.

Is the margin of error very small? Yes it is. And for major championships it is intentional to also bring in handling adversity. I agree that I don't enjoy that every week, but for these few tournaments, it is ok.
So you have two basically identical damn good approach shots and one gets a shot at birdie while the other rolls 20 feet off the green. That sounds more like an amusement game of chance than a test of true golf skill.

I'm not advocating "any spot on the green" put the player in decent position; just a design that emphasizes good shots over luck.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Anyone else get a chuckle over the contrast of the 2 amateurs slugging it out down the stretch? Holy cow, more proof body type isn't a factor in golf.

When did the US Open become the redneck major? Between "in the hole", the guy wearing an orange tank top, brown cargos shorts and flip flops walking along the ropes and the USA chants thought I was watching the WM.

Fair to say most here have come around on DeChambeau if you weren't already? Always thought he was a flaky weird 17 but have kinda warmed up to him now. Happy to see Finau finish strong, something about him I've always liked. Honestly felt sorry for Rory.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
So you have two basically identical damn good approach shots and one gets a shot at birdie while the other rolls 20 feet off the green. That sounds more like an amusement game of chance than a test of true golf skill.

I'm not advocating "any spot on the green" put the player in decent position; just a design that emphasizes good shots over luck.
They are not identical if they are a yard apart. Now if you showed me two shots that land in the same exact place and there is a completely different result, then your point is valid.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
They are not identical if they are a yard apart. Now if you showed me two shots that land in the same exact place and there is a completely different result, then your point is valid.
I said "basically" identical. Two shots 175 Yds out that are separated by a yard or a little more are considered basically the same shot and one shouldn't end up 30 yards further from the hole than the other. But that's just MY opinion which is obviously not shared by all.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
but they weren’t basically identical to them. Maybe to regular guys like us the seem identical, but there was a difference
2 approaches from 175 Yds out separated by a Yd are basically identical IMO. One ending up 30 Yds further from the hole is extreme punishment for an obvious good shot

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login