Pinehurst doing it's thing again

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
2 approaches from 175 Yds out separated by a Yd are basically identical IMO. One ending up 30 Yds further from the hole is extreme punishment for an obvious good shot
Tell me you don't know anything about golf without telling me ...

If you land a yard to the right of a green in a bunker, is that the same shot as if you land a yard just outside the bunker? Those players have books with the course contours mapped to the inch. They know if they're a yard this way or that which is a better shot on a green. You seem to be wanting flat greens or something.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
2 approaches from 175 Yds out separated by a Yd are basically identical IMO. One ending up 30 Yds further from the hole is extreme punishment for an obvious good shot
I don’t think two basically identical baseball swings should be treated so differently. One can be a home run and the other can be 3” different and be strike 3. Seems like an extreme punishment for basically the same swing.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Tell me you don't know anything about golf without telling me ...

If you land a yard to the right of a green in a bunker, is that the same shot as if you land a yard just outside the bunker? Those players have books with the course contours mapped to the inch. They know if they're a yard this way or that which is a better shot on a green. You seem to be wanting flat greens or something.
How many times do golfers try to intentionally land a shot 3 feet from a bunker? If a PGA golfer hits (10) 175 Yd approach shots, how many will land within 3 feet of the hole? Does he get pissed off if one lands 4 feet away and fans groan?

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I don’t think two basically identical baseball swings should be treated so differently. One can be a home run and the other can be 3” different and be strike 3. Seems like an extreme punishment for basically the same swing.
Stupid comparison on multiple fronts.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I said "basically" identical. Two shots 175 Yds out that are separated by a yard or a little more are considered basically the same shot and one shouldn't end up 30 yards further from the hole than the other. But that's just MY opinion which is obviously not shared by all.
I could show you shots at the Masters, The Players and Open Championship that were basically identical and one goes into Ray's Creek or water on the island green and the other ends up by the hole by landing on one side or the other of a ridge. Happens all the time

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I could show you shots at the Masters, The Players and Open Championship that were basically identical and one goes into Ray's Creek or water on the island green and the other ends up by the hole by landing on one side or the other of a ridge. Happens all the time
Agreed. There's a lot of it and to be honest, some of my favorite par 3 holes to watch is that island green at The Players, that famous one at Augusta when the pin is at the back left low corner and that windy one at Pebble Beach where they hafta use an unusually long club from a short distance.

I just don't like seeing so many holes where the other stuff happens too much we were previously discussing that seems to be on a lotta holes at the U.S. Open.

Reactions: Bulldog Bruce

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
These are the best in the world. Apex, spin, carry, curve, all usually impacted by the strike. If you play professional competitive golf and need to carry it 141 you better do it, 144 won’t cut it, and neither will 139. The margins are just way tighter in majors…and pinehurst is worse than most.

Reactions: goindhoo

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Feel like he's spent the later half of his career trying to be a perfectionist instead of being a killer competitively. Being technically perfect doesn't get you a big win. Being a mental juggernaut does. Grow some balls and join ranks of Tiger, Jack, Arnie, Gary etc. Talent is there the instincts are not. Hate to see the talent not see its full potential.
Being Perfect on the course never works out for the player. When Tiger got super into perfecting his game, he struggled. Sometimes you just need to go out there and be a baller, regardless of how perfect your swing is. 375 in the rough with a perfect swing is not as good as 372 in the fairway on a normal hit.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
It's an inch at some point. You always hear that statement in all sports "It's a game of inches". Yes it is weird that landing your shot well onto a green can be bad. When they play the links courses for the Open Championship there are times when you can't land on the green. You must land short of the green and roll onto the green. Pinehurst #2 was designed as a links course.

Is the margin of error very small? Yes it is. And for major championships it is intentional to also bring in handling adversity. I agree that I don't enjoy that every week, but for these few tournaments, it is ok.
Yeah, these guys know precisely what to do on every green. The ones that get it done, win.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login