Places to eat a decent dinner in Brookhaven?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Or surrounding areas? Will have kids so can’t be too upscale. Like a catfish or steakhouse anywhere?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Betty’s or Magnolia Blues downtown. Bowie’s BBQ would probably be cool for the kids since it has a log cabin feel.

There is a “The Fish Fry” as well.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Or surrounding areas? Will have kids so can’t be too upscale. Like a catfish or steakhouse anywhere?

There is a surprisingly good restaurant scene in Brook. Downtown by the tracks are several options and they are all good, we usually do The Crouton or Georgia Blue. If you want to get your feedbag on, Poppas is the best buffet you find (and reasonably priced for what you get).

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
Serio's Pizza (old Freds) for lunch, they do by-the-slice until about 2. If they're out, order a whole pie, you will enjoy. They are adjacent to Mag Blues so you can't go wrong.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Serio’s pizza downtown is good…

It’s right next to the Magnolia Blues BBQ place others have mentioned. It’s right off the downtown tracks, with a few historical markers, etc.

Take the kids for a drive down Jackson street to see all the antebellum homes, if you have time!

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
As others have said, Brookhaven has a surprisingly good restaurant scene for a town its size. I’ll echo the Magnolia Blues recommendation, as they had live music the last time I was there so kids won’t be a problem. Georgia Blue and 1905 are good as well. Serio’s in its new incarnation is good as well (pronounced CEE-ROS if you’re a local). The Crouton is also good. For a watering hole, Recess 101 if it’s still open, otherwise stick with Magnolia Blues.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
No doubt. The food scene in Brookhaven has come a long way since I was a kid. A night out on the town meant going to get a buffet at Western Sizzlin’

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
I used to spend summers with my grandparents in Brookhaven, so I have a soft spot for the town. Now let’s talk breakfast. Are you a Janie’s Pastries guy or a Dude’s Biscuits guy? Can’t really go wrong with either one, although Ms. Bea’s was my go-to option.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I used to spend summers with my grandparents in Brookhaven, so I have a soft spot for the town. Now let’s talk breakfast. Are you a Janie’s Pastries guy or a Dude’s Biscuits guy? Can’t really go wrong with either one, although Ms. Bea’s was my go-to option.

Both are great but if you forced me to pick one I’d go Dude’s biscuits.

I used to hunt on some land just north of Brookhaven and loved grabbing Dude’s after a morning hunt.

To Goat’s question, there is a fish house in Brookhaven called “The Fish Fry”. It’s been 10 years since I’ve eaten there but it used to be great.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
Lived in Brookhaven most of my life, as many of the posters could claim it seems. My suggestion would be the Fish Fry or Bowies. Everything else is overrated. Georgia Blue is Sysco and Magnolia Blues is way overrated and over priced. Maybe have enough drinks and you will not notice it.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Never once had a bad meal at the Krystal right off 55 on the way to New Orleans.

Feb 11, 2013
Lived in Brookhaven most of my life, as many of the posters could claim it seems. My suggestion would be the Fish Fry or Bowies. Everything else is overrated. Georgia Blue is Sysco and Magnolia Blues is way overrated and over priced. Maybe have enough drinks and you will not notice it.

There is no way you still live here saying that dumb ****

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Show me a restaurant that doesn't buy from Sysco and I'll show you a restaurant that can't buy on credit from Sysco.

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
There is no way you still live here saying that dumb ****

Actually no, like most of the good from the place I got out. That being said I still maintain a business there so I am down there two to three times a week. I am sorry if my opinion offends you, it is just that my opinion. If you like overrated and over priced food then by all means do you. There is just better options that are not all that far away for what is being charged by the places in Brookhaven. Sorry if that is not a popular opinion.

Last edited:

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Yes. At gunpoint. On camera. Finally caught all the dudes. DA decided not to press charges. Copiah County justice system is almost as bad as Jackson Hinds.
The owner is my brother in law and a county supervisor.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login