Please check out my new novel, The Unlikely Candidate

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Greetings, Sixpackers. I know that selling/self-promotion on the board is frowned upon, but Dawgstudent was kind enough to grant me permission to let you know about my new novel, The Unlikely Candidate.

It's available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle versions here.
View attachment 17265
The book follows a fictional former governor of Mississippi who's bored with retirement and decides to run for president on a whim. I use the presidential campaign as a framework for advancing conservative policy arguments. One of my main goals for the novel is to get beyond soundbites and explain the why behind conservative political positions. Yes, Republicans want lower taxes, but why? Yes, Republicans want to do more to limit illegal immigration, but why? I tried to provide the reader with a page-turning plot that educates as it entertains. Based on the Amazon reviews and other feedback I've received, that goal has been achieved.

A second goal was to provide a defense of Christianity by showing that reasonable, rational people who believe in science can also embrace Christianity without contradiction. My unlikely candidate is a believer who gets mocked for his faith. He provides a calm, rationale dose of Christian apologetics in response.

Finally, the book contains a healthy dose of criticism of the modern media because, well, they deserve it.

I hope you'll get a copy and let me know what you think either here or in the Amazon reviews (unless you hate it, in which case I invite you to skip the feedback step).

Hail State!

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Is this Kirk Fordice fan fiction? And does it include an encounter with Bert Case? If so...

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
I didn't have any regrets about leaving anything out of the book until I read this post. A Fordice/Case steel cage match would have been epic.

My guy is more of a calm, reasonable type who points and laughs at the media rather than snarling at them.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Welp, there's your sequel. Glad to help.

Good luck w/ the book.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Anybody that points and laughs at the media is someone I can directly relate to. Buying a copy now.

lanceharbor7

Feb 24, 2008
Great read from a Bulldog Author!

Greetings, Sixpackers. I know that selling/self-promotion on the board is frowned upon, but Dawgstudent was kind enough to grant me permission to let you know about my new novel, The Unlikely Candidate.

View attachment 17265
The book follows a fictional former governor of Mississippi who's bored with retirement and decides to run for president on a whim. I use the presidential campaign as a framework for advancing conservative policy arguments. One of my main goals for the novel is to get beyond soundbites and explain the why behind conservative political positions. Yes, Republicans want lower taxes, but why? Yes, Republicans want to do more to limit illegal immigration, but why? I tried to provide the reader with a page-turning plot that educates as it entertains. Based on the Amazon reviews and other feedback I've received, that goal has been achieved.

A second goal was to provide a defense of Christianity by showing that reasonable, rational people who believe in science can also embrace Christianity without contradiction. My unlikely candidate is a believer who gets mocked for his faith. He provides a calm, rationale dose of Christian apologetics in response.

Finally, the book contains a healthy dose of criticism of the modern media because, well, they deserve it.

I hope you'll get a copy and let me know what you think either here or in the Amazon reviews (unless you hate it, in which case I invite you to skip the feedback step).

Hail State!

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Is your lead character’s name May Rabus?

ETA: Nevermind. Posted before reading the whole paragraph.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

View attachment 17265

Hail State!

Conservative, pro-christianity, and critical of our garbage media. Don't know if you can write worth a **** but it appears you definitely know your audience, or at least your sixpack audience.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I'll buy it and read. Wish I could get my wife & 2 daughters to read it, but they are so brain-washed by SF Bay Area liberal politics they literally refuse to expose themselves to anything that might cause them to realize they are being lied to.

BiscuitEater

Aug 29, 2009

View attachment 17265

Hail State!

Congrats on the 'first' book. You should have a "Virtual" Book Signing Party here on SPS. Answer questions. Sign Books. Would definitely pay to have one personalized to .. Biscuit Eater.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Congrats on the book. Just waiting to see if my last $20.00 should be spent on your book or IMissPlatinum's first full length feature film.... Ball is in your court Platinum.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Congrats on the book. Just waiting to see if my last $20.00 should be spent on your book or IMissPlatinum's first full length feature film.... Ball is in your court Platinum.

Damn dog, investment strategy THAT bad?*

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Conservative, pro-christianity, and critical of our garbage media. Don't know if you can write worth a **** but it appears you definitely know your audience, or at least your sixpack audience.

This is a good place to mention that the first few chapters are available for free on Amazon. Click on “Look Inside” at the link in my original post. The sample should be enough to get a feel for my writing ability or lack thereof.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Congrats on the 'first' book. You should have a "Virtual" Book Signing Party here on SPS. Answer questions. Sign Books. Would definitely pay to have one personalized to .. Biscuit Eater.

Thanks for the kind words. A virtual book signing would be a blast for me, at least until I realized that I was the only one on the Zoom call. I've signed a few books so far for folks who have asked, but I haven't had the privilege of making one out to Biscuit Eater. Hope I get the chance to one day.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
will there be a hardback?

Not likely. I published it through Amazon and they offer only paperback and Kindle options. Now, if SPS works its magic and the book gets picked up by a major publisher, hardbacks for everybody.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Thanks, ckDOG. Like many here, I was and remain a huge Jack Cristil fan.

I had a childhood dream of hearing Jack refer to me as a "six-tall youngster hailing from Jackson, breaking the huddle with the Bulldogs four yards away from the land of milk and honey and two times out remaining." Unfortunately, there wasn't much demand for 150-pound QBs that would finish third in a two-person race with a pregnant woman.

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Crazy questions. Who did your cover? How did you approach Amazon? Is the book self-published?

Sorry for being Nosy, but inquiring minds want to know.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Crazy questions. Who did your cover? How did you approach Amazon? Is the book self-published?

Sorry for being Nosy, but inquiring minds want to know.

Kristen Ingebretson was my cover designer. She did a fantastic job. She did several different designs and ended up combining what I liked about each of them to get to the final product. Kristen also designed the cover for one of my favorite books, "Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy" by Eric Metaxas.

The book is self-published through Kindle Direct Publishing, which is owned by Amazon. Happy to give you more details on the process if you want; just shoot me a private message.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
I'll buy it and read. Wish I could get my wife & 2 daughters to read it, but they are so brain-washed by SF Bay Area liberal politics they literally refuse to expose themselves to anything that might cause them to realize they are being lied to.

Thank you sir! Good luck with the wife and daughters. One selling point for your wife might be the husband/wife angle of the book. The unlikely candidate and his wife have several frank conversations that have been a big hit with many readers, particularly women. The wife is the unsung hero of the book.

Aug 3, 2019
Have a book signing party at the first Sixpack tailgate. If you don't know where that is, look for the blue tent.

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
Have a book signing party at the first Sixpack tailgate. If you don't know where that is, look for the blue tent.

My fear is that it would look strangely similar to the one-man pep rally from Sixpack lore. Maybe I could pay some college kids to stand in line so that I don't end up being that pathetic looking guy sitting alone at a table full of books with no one else in a twenty-yard radius.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I'll probably give it a shot since it's available for Kindle. I'm a Kindle convert over the past couple of years - easier on the old eyes.

You have 19 5-star reviews. Are they legitimate (meaning non-family and friends)?

Last edited:

HeCannotGo

Feb 23, 2011
I'll probably give it a shot since it's available for Kindle. I'm a Kindle convert over the past couple of years - easier on the old eyes.

You have 19 5-star reviews. Are they legitimate (meaning non-family and friends)?

I've been very pleased and humbled by the reviews. There are 19 ratings, and 13 of those included written reviews. I don't know who the six are that rated it without a written review.

Of the 13 written reviews, three are close friends. These are guys that reviewed early drafts at my request and gave me feedback. The other ten I would categorize as friends and friends of friends (although some are under pseudonyms or a relative's Amazon account, so I have no idea who they are). As far as I know, none of these ten are close enough to me to feel obligated to review the book at all, much less overstate anything in a review.

Keep in mind that it's been mostly a "friends and family" launch until now. I've put the word out via email, Facebook and Linked In, and so the vast majority of the folks who have read the book so far know me personally. I'm working on changing that by reaching a broader audience.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Thanks. I don't know you, but I'll buy and read it. It sounds interesting. I'm sure it's hard to initially develop a readership on Amazon, especially for a new author, then hopefully it'll take off. I can tell just from your posts that you know how to write a complete sentence in English, and you're careful enough to do it even on a sports message board. :)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login