dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
doing this as a separate thread.

@ Auburn
Kentucky
@ Texas A&M
USM
Ole Miss

As I said before, I could see 4-1 or 1-4. The SEC is so bad.

Reactions: knock him out john

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
One of Auburn or Kentucky, then USM. Then just depends on how bad Ole Miss wins to determine Arnett’s fate. Bleh…
I personally think Arnett is gone even if he makes a bowl game. If he ends up winning 8 or 9 games, I be wrong. Less than that he is gone. I just think he was a bridge hire until the New AD came on board and hired his own.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

@ Auburn
Kentucky
@ Texas A&M
USM
Ole Miss

Gotta go with 1- USM.

I think every coach we face from here on, except for USM, is better coached.

patdog

May 28, 2007
One of Auburn or Kentucky, then USM. Then just depends on how bad Ole Miss wins to determine Arnett’s fate. Bleh…
Agree except Arnetts fate has been long since decided and got cemented on Saturday.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
I personally think Arnett is gone even if he makes a bowl game. If he ends up winning 8 or 9 games, I be wrong. Less than that he is gone. I just think he was a bridge hire until the New AD came on board and hired his own.
Its past time we get rid of coaches after a year on the job just because the entire fan base isn't happy. State wont ever compete, if we keep changing head coaches...

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I'm saying we beat Auburn, USM, then one of Kentucky & TAMU. UMiss names the score in the Egg Bowl.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree except Arnetts fate has been long since decided and got cemented on Saturday.
Wait.....you saying you think we're going to fire him? Because I'd bet my house there's no way that happens, at this point.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I'm saying 2-3. We'll beat USM and then it's a toss up what happens with Auburn and UK. A&M and OM are L's.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I actually said 3-2. I think we beat Kentucky and USM at home and steal one of the other three games.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
It's possible Texas A&M is going to quit on Jimbo this year. Every game left on the schedule is winnable if we make incremental improvements.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
He’s not safe at 6-6. Lots to be desired in the way he’s running the program and lots to be desired on what the future holds. Has to win 7 to be 100% safe into next year. Anyone saying a7-3 win or a 6-6 finish’s and he’s most certainly back doesn’t understand how this program is being run

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I would be impressed with Selmon if he actually fired Arnett after going to 7-5/6-6. I doubt he does though. Hell, is it even his decision?

However, if Ole Miss finishes 10-2 w/ a NYD bowl and an Egg Bowl win, I think there will be A LOT of pressure on Keenum to make a move.

It really sucks because a Leach/Arnett led team could be 6-1 (5-2, minimum) right now and would have a realistic shot at 10-2.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He’s not safe at 6-6. Lots to be desired in the way he’s running the program and lots to be desired on what the future holds. Has to win 7 to be 100% safe into next year. Anyone saying a7-3 win or a 6-6 finish’s and he’s most certainly back doesn’t understand how this program is being run
Sadly, I think we understand all too well how this program is being run.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I just don't think there's anyway we will fire him if he wins 6 games. I wouldn't fire him and I think we look like a poorly coached team. I don't think we'll fire him if he goes 5-7 although I would want to at 5-7.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’m saying the opposite. 0% chance he is fired now. Maybe a 10% chance before Saturday, but 0% now.
I think if we lose to USM and get blown out by Ole Miss he'll get fired. I agree with you I don't think that will happen and getting to five probably guarantees he stays. But if we look like crap in every game and barely beat USM? I think getting fired even with 5 wins is at least on the table then; presumably would depend on whether people with the money to pay the buyout would be gung ho about firing him.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

@ Auburn
Kentucky
@ Texas A&M
USM
Ole Miss

I went with 2-3. I don't feel good about any game remaining except for USM, and I'm pretty close to 50/50 between 1-4 and 2-3, but I think Auburn and Kentucky are bad enough that we have a good chance of grabbing one of them even if we won't be favored in either. I don't think A&M and Ole Miss are out of upset range although they are close.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I would be impressed with Selmon if he actually fired Arnett after going to 7-5/6-6. I doubt he does though. Hell, is it even his decision?

However, if Ole Miss finishes 10-2 w/ a NYD bowl and an Egg Bowl win, I think there will be A LOT of pressure on Keenum to make a move.

It really sucks because a Leach/Arnett led team could be 6-1 (5-2, minimum) right now and would have a realistic shot at 10-2.
I’m not sure Arnett is still here if leach is alive.

Reactions: Duke Humphrey

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I just don't think there's anyway we will fire him if he wins 6 games. I wouldn't fire him and I think we look like a poorly coached team. I don't think we'll fire him if he goes 5-7 although I would want to at 5-7.
I am just guessing, and we really don't know Selmon yet.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think if we lose to USM and get blown out by Ole Miss he'll get fired. I agree with you I don't think that will happen and getting to five probably guarantees he stays. But if we look like crap in every game and barely beat USM? I think getting fired even with 5 wins is at least on the table then; presumably would depend on whether people with the money to pay the buyout would be gung ho about firing him.
If we lose to USM, all gets are off. But we’ll win that game by 20 points if we play like crap. We’ll win by 40 if we play well. They’re that bad.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I just think Keenum thought his back was against the wall. No AD and the HC just died a few weeks before signing day. I think he made a decision to save or to have a signing class, but at least he was smart enough not give a ridiculous contract that the next AD could not get out of if he wanted to move on. I personally wish he would have just hired an AD and hope for the best in the signing class and go to the portal to make up for it. Selmon probably has some connections and probably could have gotten a really good coach. But here we are I know a lot of you disagree, but I really feel if Selmon wants to move on he will. I don't think there will be any pressure from anyone not to.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I’m saying the opposite. 0% chance he is fired now. Maybe a 10% chance before Saturday, but 0% now.

if we go 1-4 with blow out losses and squeak by a horrendous USM team, he will be fired. I don’t think that will happen, but we’d be insane to retain him if it does.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Its past time we get rid of coaches after a year on the job just because the entire fan base isn't happy. State wont ever compete, if we keep changing head coaches...
If anything, we have held on to coaches for too long. We have settled for mediocrity when it is obvious a move needs to be made. Keeping Arnett at this point, is only delaying the inevitable. If there are 5+ coaches in the conference that would take over your current coach there is no way to expect to compete going forward. With Texas and OK coming in, the path gets harder, and we can't afford to keep kicking the can down the road.

It really comes down to whether or not we want to actually compete, or if we are content with just making a bowl (non NY6 bowl). Anything outside of a NY6 bowl is essentially insignificant and does not move the needle when it comes to recruits. As it stands right now, Arnett is not the guy. I agree that at 6 wins he is 100% safe for next year, but his ceiling remains lower than more than half of the conference (KY, AU, FL, OM, SC, not to mention the blue bloods that we have to face). With the speed/climate of cfb changing so quickly, we are only going to get further behind if we do not commit to competing right now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If anything, we have held on to coaches for too long. We have settled for mediocrity when it is obvious a move needs to be made. Keeping Arnett at this point, is only delaying the inevitable. If there are 5+ coaches in the conference that would take over your current coach there is no way to expect to compete going forward. With Texas and OK coming in, the path gets harder, and we can't afford to keep kicking the can down the road.

It really comes down to whether or not we want to actually compete, or if we are content with just making a bowl (non NY6 bowl). Anything outside of a NY6 bowl is essentially insignificant and does not move the needle when it comes to recruits. As it stands right now, Arnett is not the guy. I agree that at 6 wins he is 100% safe for next year, but his ceiling remains lower than more than half of the conference (KY, AU, FL, OM, SC, not to mention the blue bloods that we have to face). With the speed/climate of cfb changing so quickly, we are only going to get further behind if we do not commit to competing right now.
If your standard for Mississippi State football coaches is NY6 bowls, you will bd eternally disappointed. Seriously, you should find another team to support. Because it’s never going to happen with any consistency here.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

@ Auburn
Kentucky
@ Texas A&M
USM
Ole Miss

You are right the SEC is crap so

Does Not Matter Jessica Chastain GIF by Saturday Night Live

Abandon all hope, Ye who cheer for Moran and Whit!

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Don't think MSU will throw away 9 million for a bridge hire.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Beat UK & USM

6-6

Birmingham Bowl
I'd be good with this after all we've been through. Keep the bowl streak alive and we haven't been to the Big Ham town in quite awhile. B'ham and Memphis are the closest venues for our fans to travel to.....and not terribly expensive.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login