Portal Tracker - 12/21 9:25 AM Update

Sep 11, 2019
Update (in bold) 12/21 at 9:25 AM. If I'm missing anything, I'm sure someone will remind me.
  • Incoming (current school)
    • Blake Shapen QB - Baylor
    • Ethan Miner OL - North Texas
    • Kendrick Bingley-Jones DL - North Carolina
    • Makaylan Pounders OL - Memphis
    • Kelly Akharaiyi WR - UTEP
    • Tre Wright DB - Memphis
    • Justin Ball TE - Vanderbilt
    • Cam Ball TE - Buffalo
    • Sulaiman Kpaka DL - Purdue
    • Corey Ellington S - MS State
    • Marlon Martinez OL - LSU
  • Outgoing (new school)
    • Will Rogers QB - Washington
    • Ryan Goede TE - Georgia Tech
    • Simeon Price RB - ??
    • Jacoby Ballazar WR - ??
    • Will James S - Southern Miss
    • Nakai Poole WR - ??
    • Steven Losoya OL - Vanderbilt
    • Zavion Thomas WR - LSU
    • DeCarlos Nicholson DB - Southern Cal
    • Woody Marks RB - Southern Cal
    • DeCamerion Richardson CB - Ole Miss
    • Jarcarius Clayton DL - ??
    • Jamari Brown CB - ??
  • Targets (current school)
    • Greg Gaines DB (Iowa St.)
    • Daequan Wright TE (Va. Tech)
    • DJ Uiagalelei QB (Oregon St.)
    • Chris McClellan DL (Florida)
    • Devon Marshall CB (Villanova)
    • Cameron Smith CB (Memphis)
    • Dante Dowdell RB (Oregon)
    • Marques McLaurin DB (West Virginia)

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We had several guys enter the portal before the season ended. Simeon Price, Will James, Jacoby Bellazar, Nakai Poole. Price is the only one that ever did anything here.

Reactions: Burt Macklin, FBI

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
What happened with Price? He did well his freshman year but disappeared this year. Surely he wasn’t worse than the other two backups that Barby trotted out. Seth Davis didn’t do jack.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
What happened with Price? He did well his freshman year but disappeared this year. Surely he wasn’t worse than the other two backups that Barby trotted out. Seth Davis didn’t do jack.
I assume Price didn't gel with this coaching staff. Think he quit right after Arnett was fired. I thought he always looked promising but was buried behind Woody and DJ, then rarely stepped on the field this year.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Not noticed??? He caught a freaking pass last week! Best TE we've had in 4 years. **
Marisa Tomei Movie GIF

• Haha
Reactions: ckDOG and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
What about Keyvone Lee too? Averaged 4.9 yards per carry for Penn St. his FR and SO years, got hurt last year, and then gets only 12 carries for 75 yards (6.3 ypc) this year? I get that Woody was the starter, but I don't think we used the rest of our RBs effectively at all.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
What about Keyvone Lee too? Averaged 4.9 yards per carry for Penn St. his FR and SO years, got hurt last year, and then gets only 12 carries for 75 yards (6.3 ypc) this year? I get that Woody was the starter, but I don't think we used the rest of our RBs effectively at all.

This has been a sore point for me as well. I do not mean to disrespect Woody, but I'd honestly see the rest getting carries. Lee and Price are proven talents that were wasted this year.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Does his offense use TE’s? Too lazy to look it up myself. Curious what happens with Spivey. Does he get to play next year or is out of eligibility. If he still gets to play, does he transfer again? Not that he’s a game changing type player.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
What about Spivey the TE from TCU. Is he going to get to play this next season or is he screwed?

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This has been a sore point for me as well. I do not mean to disrespect Woody, but I'd honestly see the rest getting carries. Lee and Price are proven talents that were wasted this year.
Add this to the fact that Woody got hurt repeatedly throughout his career, so it would have reduced wear and tear on him. It seems so obvious to give the ball more to the other backs, but just one of a few examples of us not having an effective plan on offense this year.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Woody was not Bo Jackson or Tony Dorsett like this past coaching staff treated him. When he was healthy he was very good. When he got hurt and they kept taping springs to his legs, the other running backs should have been used.

patdog

May 28, 2007
just one of a few examples of us not having an effective plan on offense this year.
This was the most disappointing thing to me. I've always been able to tell what our plan was offensively. Sometimes it was good, sometimes bad, sometimes mixed, but I always knew in general what we were trying to do. I could never tell this year that there was any kind of coherent plan for what we were trying to do this year. It was like he was calling plays and making substitutions at random and hoping for the best.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Me too but yesterday it was reported he was in the portal. I guess he has a COVID year to play.
I think he only came to State because his wife transferred to play on the volleyball team. I think she's done playing, so it makes sense he's gone too.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This was the most disappointing thing to me. I've always been able to tell what our plan was offensively. Sometimes it was good, sometimes bad, sometimes mixed, but I always knew in general what we were trying to do. I could never tell this year that there was any kind of coherent plan for what we were trying to do this year. It was like he was calling plays and making substitutions at random and hoping for the best.
Exhibit A1, we bomb SoCar all night long to great success, and never throw it down the field again all season. Someone explain that to me.

The answer can't be "South Carolina has ****** DBs". We played worse defensive backfields later in the season and hardly saw any throws to Tulu past the line of scrimmage. I just need to stop talking about it, it confuses me all over again.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yep, I completely get the love for Marks when healthy, but “when healthy” is the key phrase there. It amazes me towards the end of the year when our coaches wanted a guy with a bum ankle, bum hamstring, and who knows what all else in the game rather than one of our other options

bigbub50

Jan 3, 2020
Don’t forget about the TE who thinks he is wr that was ineligible this year. Transferred from ASU to prime and then to us. Is he still on the squad?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Exhibit A1, we bomb SoCar all night long to great success, and never throw it down the field again all season. Someone explain that to me.

The answer can't be "South Carolina has ****** DBs". We played worse defensive backfields later in the season and hardly saw any throws to Tulu past the line of scrimmage. I just need to stop talking about it, it confuses me all over again.
That's why I said Will called that game. He said " get ready Tulu, we throwin it." That was NOT Barbay's offense. We never saw that but one game. ONE game. It was pretty effective. 30 points. I bet Arnept shut that down.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Averaged 6 yards per rush on his 59 carries. Looked like a good back in his very limited touches.
He is going to be good. When he ran into the holes he had his head down, not up looking around. That will come with experience. Seem like most of our running backs that we recruit out of high school do that. It might be getting use to getting hit really hard.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Not noticed??? He caught a freaking pass last week! Best TE we've had in 4 years. **

Not quite a "C. J. Sirmones (RIP)" moment, but was good to see him finally grab one (and drop another). We all know Mike Leach didn't use tight ends in his offense, who knew Barbay didn't either.****

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Does his offense use TE’s? Too lazy to look it up myself. Curious what happens with Spivey. Does he get to play next year or is out of eligibility. If he still gets to play, does he transfer again? Not that he’s a game changing type player.
I watched some of OU-UT last year, and Lebby would start some series with a TE next to the wide outs for the first play, so it looked like 10 personnel but was actually 11, then he’d run hurry up with the tight end on the line for the next several plays, presumably taking advantage of some kind of matchup mistake at times and not giving the D a chance to substitute

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
So comparing this to Christmas dinner, we’re going after a honey baked ham for qb and shopping at dollar general for the fixins

• Targets (current school)
    • Kelly Akharaiyi WR (UTEP)
    • Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson OT (SDSU)
    • Cade Bennett OL (SDSU)
    • Ethan Miner OL (North Texas)
    • Dillon Gabriel QB (Oklahoma)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login