Portal Tracker - 12/21 9:25 AM Update

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
I wish that list had stats for all the players. Other than QB I don't know if the player played at all or is seeking playing time. I say go all in on a QB. Everything else is hit or miss in the portal. We had a couple transfer DBs that made an impact, which we missed this year and obviously missed on in the portal with K. Rogers and Raydar or whatever his nickname is. My point being other than QB do you really even know what you're getting anyway?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I wish that list had stats for all the players. Other than QB I don't know if the player played at all or is seeking playing time. I say go all in on a QB. Everything else is hit or miss in the portal. We had a couple transfer DBs that made an impact, which we missed this year and obviously missed on in the portal with K. Rogers and Raydar or whatever his nickname is. My point being other than QB do you really even know what you're getting anyway?
This why developing a really good portal evaluation staff ( it'll cost some money but it will pay off) is going to be vitally important to smaller programs like us who can't match funds with the big boys.

Reactions: Anon1669338224

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
So comparing this to Christmas dinner, we’re going after a honey baked ham for qb and shopping at dollar general for the fixins

• Targets (current school)
    • Kelly Akharaiyi WR (UTEP)
    • Brandon Crenshaw-Dickson OT (SDSU)
    • Cade Bennett OL (SDSU)
    • Ethan Miner OL (North Texas)
    • Dillon Gabriel QB (Oklahoma)
We had Hormel Canned ham with Dirt Cheap fixings this season

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I think he only came to State because his wife transferred to play on the volleyball team. I think she's done playing, so it makes sense he's gone too.
Won’t he have to sit a year if he transfers again?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
This why developing a really good portal evaluation staff ( it'll cost some money but it will pay off) is going to be vitally important to smaller programs like us who can't match funds with the big boys.
Yes, yes, yes, we have to play money ball. Still recruit HS, but expect that player to leave in a year or two if good.

The days of the "development coach," in big time CFB are over.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Considering the play of our TEs over the last few years his play has been phenomenal in comparison. That could be part of the reason

Reactions: Anon1697564126

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Is VandaGriff to MSU getting legs? I saw a video last night that had him projected to us. It seems like there are rumors heating up of Gabriel to the Big10 with UCLA/USC/Oregon as potential spots.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
rumors heating up of Gabriel to the Big10 with UCLA/USC/Oregon as potential spots.
It is my understanding he has one year left. If were Oregon/USC and going to have to spend several million dollars on a QB, I'd try my best to find someone with two or three years left. Maybe they are looking to bring in a 5 star HS QB and using Gabriel as a bridge?

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Update (in bold) 12/5 at 12:00 PM. If I'm missing anything, I'm sure someone will remind me.
  • Incoming (current school)
    • ???
  • Outgoing (new school)
    • Will Rogers QB - ??
    • Ryan Goede TE - ??
    • Simeon Price RB - ??
    • Jacoby Ballazar WR - ??
    • Will James S - ??
    • Nakai Poole WR - ??
    • Steven Losoya OL - ??
    • Cade Bennett OL (SDSU)
    • Javante Mackey LB (Ark. St.)
    • Will Sheppard WR (Vandy)
    • Sam Brumfield LB (MTSU)
    • Justin Joly TE (UConn)
    • Ja’Mori Maclin WR (North Texas)
    • Brock Vandagriff QB (UGA)
    • Carso Bruno OL (La Tech)
    • Robert Lewis WR (Ga. St.)
    • Greg Gaines DB (Iowa St.)
Jermond McCory-Oregon St just in

Reactions: Burt Macklin, FBI

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Should I be concerned that we only have one defensive player who is contemplating the outward-bound portal?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Should I be concerned that we only have one defensive player who is contemplating the outward-bound portal?
Pretty sure we have enough people leaving that we can realistically take as many defensive players that can help us that we can get without needing to make room.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Do you mean, you wish some would leave to open up spots for newcomers? Or concerned that no one wants any of our defensive players?

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
This portal BS is getting old fast.

We already lose a good bit of players to graduation/out of eligibility, now we have a number almost equal to one side of the ball, that is left, in the portal to transfer??

for fricks sake.. every year is going to be a new damn team.

I’m just about over this. The next two years is going to suck even IF we have hired a competent staff. If we messed up this hire… MSU football is F***ed. Yes.. absolutely more than before.

NawlBennyDawg

Jan 23, 2023
Update (in bold) 12/7 at 2:08 PM. If I'm missing anything, I'm sure someone will remind me.
    • ???
  • Outgoing (new school)
    • Will Rogers QB - ??
    • Ryan Goede TE - ??
    • Simeon Price RB - ??
    • Will James S - ??
    • Nakai Poole WR - ??
    • Steven Losoya OL - ??
    • Zavion Thomas WR - ??
    • Cade Bennett OL (SDSU)
    • Javante Mackey LB (Ark. St.)
    • Will Sheppard WR (Vandy)
    • Sam Brumfield LB (MTSU)
    • Justin Joly TE (UConn)
    • Ja’Mori Maclin WR (North Texas)
    • Carson Bruno OL (La Tech)
    • Robert Lewis WR (Ga. St.)
    • Greg Gaines DB (Iowa St.)
    • Jermod McCoy DB (Oregon St.)
    • Cyrus Allen WR (La. Tech)
    • Daequan Wright TE (Va. Tech)
    • Sulaiman Kpaka DL (Purdue)
    • Caullin Lacy WR (USA)
    • Samuel Okunlola DE (Pitt)
    • DJ Uiagalelei QB (Oregon St.)
Go ahead and add Corey Ellington and DeCarlos Nicholson, two of our starting DBs have entered the portal.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Go ahead and add Corey Ellington and DeCarlos Nicholson, two of our starting DBs have entered the portal.
Those two make no sense. Starters, but not really good enough to go out and command money.

And if they are simply trying to get money by getting in the portal, then 17 em, let em go. MSU can't be playing that game.

Reactions: Fishsqeezer

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021

We already lose a good bit of players to graduation/out of eligibility, now we have a number almost equal to one side of the ball, that is left, in the portal to transfer??

I’m just about over this. The next two years is going to suck even IF we have hired a competent staff. If we messed up this hire… MSU football is F***ed. Yes.. absolutely more than before.

IMG_7149.jpegJust kidding. I totally agree.✊

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Remember a couple years ago when there were some saying that all this NIL/Portal concern was a lot of overreaction? Only a few players here and there would be getting $500 for being on a billboard, the portal might actually help schools like State, and nothing would change in terms of who was getting the top recruits?

Yeah, those people were idiots

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Remember a couple years ago when there were some saying that all this NIL/Portal concern was a lot of overreaction? Only a few players here and there would be getting $500 for being on a billboard, the portal might actually help schools like State, and nothing would change in terms of who was getting the top recruits?

To be fair, I think those people were arguing that we already were essentially taking leftovers after the big spenders bought the recruits they wanted. Still seemed obviously wrong even at the time, but I will say I have been surprised at just how bad it is also, so I was not pessimistic/cynical enough. I thought what was really going to hammer us was all the average sports schools with well off alumni all the sudden getting the "leftovers" that we were living off of because they were willing to spend. I knew the transfers and NIL would be an issue at times, but I have been surprised by how quickly it has devolved into complete free agency, with players more or less negotiating tentative deals before even entering the portal. I was not expecting big money to be offered to unproven players that showed even a little bit of promise. I guess I should have known that that would be seen as a better use of money than recruiting high school students.

I think MSU's only chance is if the NCAA will make a rule that once you enter the portal, that counts as a transfer whether you transfer or not. Then schools could at least take the position we're not renegotiating for our own players until they enter the portal. You come and show promise and want to cash in, good for you, but you only get to renegotiate the deal once without having to sit out. So if you want to do it after your freshman year, fine, but you may not get as much money as if you wait until you show out as a freshman.

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
This was the most disappointing thing to me. I've always been able to tell what our plan was offensively. Sometimes it was good, sometimes bad, sometimes mixed, but I always knew in general what we were trying to do. I could never tell this year that there was any kind of coherent plan for what we were trying to do this year. It was like he was calling plays and making substitutions at random and hoping for the best.
I loved it when penalties got us behind the chains and we would run play action 3rd & 15+

patdog

May 28, 2007
I loved it when penalties got us behind the chains and we would run play action 3rd & 15+
Don't forget the 3rd and 15 draw play. When we ran a few of those and converted in the SE Louisiana game, I thought, that's smart showing something in this game where it doesn't matter to give the real teams we play something else to look at. Little did I know, no, that was really an integral part of this offense.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
If Goede goes somewhere and catches 50 passes next season, Ima gonna be pissed!
Considering the fact that he can't catch....I'd say odds are prettily heavily in favor of you not being pissed. Oh, and he can't block either. Kind of a bad combination for a TE.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
I guess I missed the change. What happened to the NCAA limit of 25 signees during any cycle and 7 or 8 transfers per year? Maybe I just dreamed those limits existed but if not? Anybody care to inform me?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Matt Wyatt was one of the main folks saying that.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I guess I missed the change. What happened to the NCAA limit of 25 signees during any cycle and 7 or 8 transfers per year? Maybe I just dreamed those limits existed but if not? Anybody care to inform me?
All of that is over. The only limit now is the 85 total scholarships.

Technically, there is nothing to stop teams from signing 85 new players every year as long as the 85 they have on the roster hit the portal that year.

Now, that being said, the SEC could impose its own yearly restrictions. The SEC at one time actually had stricter limits than the NCAA.

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
All of that is over. The only limit now is the 85 total scholarships.

Technically, there is nothing to stop teams from signing 85 new players every year as long as the 85 they have on the roster hit the portal that year.

Now, that being said, the SEC could impose its own yearly restrictions. The SEC at one time actually had stricter limits than the NCAA.
Thank you for the info

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Update (in bold) 12/14 at 8:21 AM. If I'm missing anything, I'm sure someone will remind me.
    • Blake Shapen QB - Baylor
    • Ethan Miner OL - North Texas
  • Outgoing (new school)
    • Will Rogers QB - Washington?
    • Ryan Goede TE - ??
    • Simeon Price RB - ??
    • Will James S - ??
    • Nakai Poole WR - ??
    • Steven Losoya OL - Vanderbilt
    • Zavion Thomas WR - ??