Prayers for University of Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We could stop all this, but instead we choose to do send meaningless prayers and allow it to increase in frequency year after year.
It doesnt matter why it happened- bullying, an argument over a girl, a debt, a failed craigslist purchase- the end is the same- we do nothing as a society and consider all these violent and tragic deaths to be an acceptable loss.

The shooting at the Charlottesville campus is one of nearly 600 mass shootings in the US this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive, which like CNN tallies cases in which at least four people are shot, excluding the shooter.

At least 68 shootings have unfolded this year on US school grounds, including 15 on college campuses, CNN finds, with at least one person shot in each case, not including the shooter.

Lock this. If someone thinks prayers will do good then they can pray in silence.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
We could stop all this, but instead we choose to do send meaningless prayers and allow it to increase in frequency year after year.
It doesnt matter why it happened- bullying, an argument over a girl, a debt, a failed craigslist purchase- the end is the same- we do nothing as a society and consider all these violent and tragic deaths to be an acceptable loss.

Lock this. If someone thinks prayers will do good then they can pray in silence.
Prayers are meaningless? If that’s true, then nothing can help us. The human race is doomed to blow each other up.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

You’re just being rude for the sake of being rude with this post. You know there are several on here that are Christians and hold prayer as something sacred. No need for your rant putting down something people build their life around.

You would never say what you just said about gay people or transgender people, I know from your previous post. You seem like the type of guy not to offend people. So why is ok for you to offend a room full of Christians?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What about the guy that ran over all those people at the Christmas parade last year, we going to outlaw Ford SUV's which he used to run them all down?

"Provisional data from CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics indicate that there were an estimated 100,306 drug overdose deaths in the United States during 12-month period ending in April 2021" Lets get rid of all of those pain killers, NOWS!

Timothy McVeigh used Ammonium Nitrate, an ag fertilizer to kill 168. Let's outlaw that too.

Knives, get rid of knives and stabbings will stop.

Open your eyes people, its the idiots using the cars, knives, guns, fertilizer and pill pushers themselves. I don't remember any active shootings where the gun was going around shooting things by itself. Now, lock it up.......................................

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is something lost people say.

It's also something said by people who are driven away from evangelical churches by ignorant churchgoers.

You better be thankful that you weren't an undiagnosed Aspergers like me in the times before Autism Awareness who was continuously insulted because you have a slightly different & more logical thought process.

@Mr. Cook once told me that the Jesuits would likely be my best pathway.

But churchgoers have scarred me. I've long considered myself unwelcome.

And now getting back to the topic...

If you think prayer works, go for it but be aware that others prefer different routes.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008

I’ll be praying for you.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

you are correct…. There should be a harsh and automatic sentencing enhancement with any crime committed with a firearm. This includes assault, burglary, robbery, rape, and murder. Zero bail for crimes committed in conjunction with a firearm. Also.. if any theft includes stealing a firearm. The enhancement applies. You have to make an example.

this is what you were talking about. Right?

And according to the AMA, 107,000 deaths were attributed to drug overdoses from Dec 2020 to Dec 2021. 107 THOUSAND. That is one city of Clearwater, Florida disappearing every single year. Yet there is near silence on that. Hell… we are letting fentanyl walk right in.

now… why is there next to zero concern about that? Why do we not have to do anything about that??

Last edited:

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Fine, I will bite before the lock. In a sense, I understand liberals' frustrations because they want something to be done more than "thoughts and prayers" to prevent gun violence. After all, as Christians, we are called to not only pray, but do good works. The problem is that many liberals will not take into account the wickedness of man, and the real solution is to pray and actively change people's hearts by witnessing to them about Jesus and how He might save them from their wickedness.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

And neither does your ranting about it on a Mississippi State message board.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Prayers are meaningless? If that’s true, then nothing can help us. The human race is doomed to blow each other up.
Prayer is absolutely meaningful for the prayer.
Me praying for someone 1500mi away?...thats meaningless. Its a meaningless catchphrase which is overused on message boards and during avoidable tragedies. It is the height of inaction and accepts a result which was avoidable.

As for us being doomed to blow each other up, we have been doing that for millennia, and often times with religion as the justification. I dont want to get into that discussion as true faith should be respected. In order to do that though, it needs to not be brought up.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Fine, I will bite before the lock. In a sense, I understand liberals' frustrations because they want something to be done more than "thoughts and prayers" to prevent gun violence. After all, as Christians, we are called to not only pray, but do good works. The problem is that many liberals will not take into account the wickedness of man, and the real solution is to pray and actively change people's hearts by witnessing to them about Jesus and how He might save them from their wickedness.

We can do both- we can try to change people's hearts AND we can significantly reduce mass shootings. Its a false argument to claim only one can be done at a time.

Also, I am now reminded of this-

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
We can do both- we can try to change people's hearts AND we can significantly reduce mass shootings. Its a false argument to claim only one can be done at a time.

Cities like Chicago try to put all types of gun laws into place, not really working because they fail to take into account the wickedness of the human heart.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
It's also something said by people who are driven away from evangelical churches by ignorant churchgoers.

You better be thankful that you weren't an undiagnosed Aspergers like me in the times before Autism Awareness who was continuously insulted because you have a slightly different & more logical thought process.

If you think prayer works, go for it but be aware that others prefer different routes.
Personally, I believe that prayers for those that lost loved ones is necessary.

I also understand your plight with "religous people". Jesus dealt with them during his time on earth as well and said when it was all done, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven".

If we don't start addressing the mental illness in America this stuff will continue. A mentally deranged person will turn anything into a weapon and use it against the people they hate. I know guns are the most commonly used weapon but outlawing them will not fix this issue.

I've taught several Asperger students over the last 11 years and found them to be excellent students. The start is always a little rocky but once I've gained their trust they excel in my classes. I'm always excited to get a new student that has Aspergers.

Sep 15, 2009

If you were scarred by church goers, you were going to the wrong churches. That has nothing to do with God. I too had an experience where our "pastor" was busted for having an affair with a church goers wife. I was young and it really did a number on me from a spiritual standpoint. But as I've gotten older, I have realized if I put my trust in man to lead me, I will be let down again and again. That pastor was no different than me or anybody. He made mistakes just like we all do. Some of our mistakes are not put in the spotlight though. At the end of the day God is in control and He never promised bad things wouldn't happen. That is just not possible after sin came into the world with Adam and Eve. So Christians even though they are saved still have to live in a sin filled world. It's a battle everyday on earth but one day that will change when we leave this earth and live on eternally forever with God in heaven. Just out of curiosity, what are the "different routes"

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Way to take your shot

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
1. Entering your opinion and then saying "now, lock it up" is selfish echo chamber douchery and is why decent debate no longer exists.
2. It shocks me none in the least that glfr is either atheist or agnostic
3. Please keep thread open. Like true free speech, it makes it easier to spot the ********.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Let me guess, your genius solution is to get rid of guns.

But oh wait, only assault rifles.

But oh wait....this guy likely used a pistol.

Just say it. You don't like guns, and you'll use any incident to further that agenda.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Personally, I believe that prayers for those that lost loved ones is necessary.

I also understand your plight with "religous people". Jesus dealt with them during his time on earth as well and said when it was all done, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven".

If we don't start addressing the mental illness in America this stuff will continue. A mentally deranged person will turn anything into a weapon and use it against the people they hate. I know guns are the most commonly used weapon but outlawing them will not fix this issue.

I've taught several Asperger students over the last 11 years and found them to be excellent students. The start is always a little rocky but once I've gained their trust they excel in my classes. I'm always excited to get a new student that has Aspergers.
Well said. Mental illness is a bigger issue to me than gun control. There is a mental health epidemic in America and it seems to have been put on the back burner while everyone screams about guns.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
You’re just being rude for the sake of being rude with this post. You know there are several on here that are Christians and hold prayer as something sacred. No need for your rant putting down something people build their life around.

You would never say what you just said about gay people or transgender people, I know from your previous post. You seem like the type of guy not to offend people. So why is ok for you to offend a room full of Christians?

Prayer is powerful for the individual. Prayer is absolutely something which people should do.
At the societal level though, prayer is the equivalent of sitting on the sideline and action will get results.

While I am not intending to offend anyone, I am not concerned about hurting the feelings of people sitting on the sidelines doing nothing to reduce violence and passively accepting mass killings. At some point, people will be offended for progress to take place.
As for gay or transgender people, if they think prayer is going to help reduce mass shootings or anything else, I will be equally critical of that thinking.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What about the guy that ran over all those people at the Christmas parade last year, we going to outlaw Ford SUV's which he used to run them all down?

"Provisional data from CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics indicate that there were an estimated 100,306 drug overdose deaths in the United States during 12-month period ending in April 2021" Lets get rid of all of those pain killers, NOWS!

Timothy McVeigh used Ammonium Nitrate, an ag fertilizer to kill 168. Let's outlaw that too.

Knives, get rid of knives and stabbings will stop.

Open your eyes people, its the idiots using the cars, knives, guns, fertilizer and pill pushers themselves. I don't remember any active shootings where the gun was going around shooting things by itself. Now, lock it up.......................................

whatabout whatabout whatabout!

We are talking about mass shootings here. We arent talking about bombings or stabbings or drug overdoses. Stay on track.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
The Correct answer when innocent people are killed is to act like only your opinion is correct and everyone else is wrong. Then We all yell at each other like everyone else is an idiot and only my way Is correct. In doing so you completely ignore the actual tragedy of the situation and nothing is accomplished, It’s the way America works now. And I mean this about both sides.

Lock it up.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
And neither does your ranting about it on a Mississippi State message board.

I really didnt figure this thread would stay open since its way OT and highly contentious.
But if it does stay open, it could be beneficial because talking on a message board with others could absolutely be more beneficial than prayer. As Preacher said- minds need to be changed. Well maybe someone will read this and change their mind. It certainly has a better chance to change someone's mind than me 'sending prayers'.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

We are talking about mass shootings here. We arent talking about bombings or stabbings or drug overdoses. Stay on track.
It's a fair statement because 1000's more people die every year than they do in mass shootings. Where is this outcry to ban the causes of those deaths? Cancer deaths from smoking, Cardiovascular deaths from unhealthy foods. OD from Fentanyl pouring across the southern border. DUI deaths, Texting while driving deaths. Abortion...and on and on and on. But the far left just has the moral outrage against firearms. If you're outrage is truly over saving lives then it stands to reason you would be just as willing to ban all these other causes that kill more people than mass shootings. The fact that the left is not makes one question their true motives.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
Look at 45 and his cult following…trust me liberals know wickedness but most conservatives tend to ignore and deflect

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If you were scarred by church goers, you were going to the wrong churches. That has nothing to do with God. I too had an experience where our "pastor" was busted for having an affair with a church goers wife. I was young and it really did a number on me from a spiritual standpoint. But as I've gotten older, I have realized if I put my trust in man to lead me, I will be let down again and again. That pastor was no different than me or anybody. He made mistakes just like we all do. Some of our mistakes are not put in the spotlight though. At the end of the day God is in control and He never promised bad things wouldn't happen. That is just not possible after sin came into the world with Adam and Eve. So Christians even though they are saved still have to live in a sin filled world. It's a battle everyday on earth but one day that will change when we leave this earth and live on eternally forever with God in heaven. Just out of curiosity, what are the "different routes"

LOL. Saying that I was going to the wrong churches is - from my perspective - a cop out typically said to me.

My apologies if I appear to be more a bit blunt here (it's natural though- I do have Aspergers) but you're not the first or last person who'll say that.

Having attended multiple churches, I know I am unwelcome because I am different than many other people.

And the Southern Baptist Convention - in the form of its media division LifeWay - agrees with me.

Few churches and churchgoers are (edited to take out not - it was inadvertently added on my part) friendly towards people like me who are on the spectrum (link if you're interested).

Answering your question regarding the different routes.

Chiefly, the answer to that would be varieties of more direct action.

@Ranchdawg mentioned addressing mental illness. That would be priority number 1 on my list.

I'd also advocate for required psychological evaluations for folks wanting gun ownership/licenses in order to keep guns out of the hands of mentally ill people.

Of course, it goes without saying that it won't be perfect but there's a chance it could be workable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranchdawg

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
It’s hitting a new low when a thread about another campus shooting is turned into a political discussion in the second post.

Some people have no boundaries when they are determined to troll. And that is really sad.

Reactions: BossDawg78

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Law enforcement has been profiling these people for years. When I lived in Florida we had an active shooter at a K Mart. Law enforcement was told to take him alive and as a result he shot 3 more people before they captured him. They wanted to study him to understand for the future why people did this. If he was a football player he was a high profile individual and I'm sure some around him knew he was struggling with mental issues. Golfer is right about one thing: People are standing on the sidelines doing nothing. He should have been reported and investigated to understand what was going on in his head before this happened. I, too, am tired of all the "studying" of people with no results.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
The Correct answer when innocent people are killed is to act like only your opinion is correct and everyone else is wrong. Then We all yell at each other like everyone else is an idiot and only my way Is correct. In doing so you completely ignore the actual tragedy of the situation and nothing is accomplished, It’s the way America works now. And I mean this about both sides.

Lock it up.
That doesn't have to happen all the time. Mstateglfr and I see things very differently, but I don't think we have started yelling at each other yet.

Reactions: mstateglfr

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

Of course. Because the other topics are inconvenient. Stay focused on the outrage du jour. Don’t stray and make the single topic outrage look idiotic.

I mean… we handed out taxpayer funded drug kits last year. We obviously cannot in the least be critical of that. I mean…. Aiding addicts in their deadly habit… who can say that’s bad!?

And I outlined a plan to curb gun violence. And the NRA, who is considered to be the boogyman, would be on board with it. Why is that a non starter? It punishes gun crimes. Why is it a non starter?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
1. Entering your opinion and then saying "now, lock it up" is selfish echo chamber douchery and is why decent debate no longer exists.
2. It shocks me none in the least that glfr is either atheist or agnostic
3. Please keep thread open. Like true free speech, it makes it easier to spot the ********.
I would love for the thread to be open and posted that already. This is an issue that could largely be fixed, yet one group continually stands in the way and offers up thoughts and prayers as an answer to mass killing.
The inaction and effort to redirect conversation away is disheartening to say the least.

As for me saying 'lock it up', its not so I could have the last word- its because people on here dont want to be offended and face the reality that their acceptance on this issue conflicts with who they claim to be. Its best to just lock it so people can be happy and think their view is best when in reality its continually allowing mass shootings.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well said. Mental illness is a bigger issue to me than gun control. There is a mental health epidemic in America and it seems to have been put on the back burner while everyone screams about guns.

The nationwide de-funding of mental health infrastructure is an issue that will have to be dealt with soon enough.

No idea if this incident is applicable to your comments, but in general yes I fully agree with you- it needs to be further addressed.
I do not think mental health is a backburner issue though- it has been front and center for years. Some people just choose to not actually try to do anything about it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Prayer is powerful for the individual. Prayer is absolutely something which people should do.
At the societal level though, prayer is the equivalent of sitting on the sideline and action will get results.

While I am not intending to offend anyone, I am not concerned about hurting the feelings of people sitting on the sidelines doing nothing to reduce violence and passively accepting mass killings. At some point, people will be offended for progress to take place.
As for gay or transgender people, if they think prayer is going to help reduce mass shootings or anything else, I will be equally critical of that thinking.
So what have you done to reduce violence? What would you say you have done to get off the sidelines?

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Here is my question and I know me and glfer have had our disagreements recently, but you accuse people who are offering prayer in this tragedy of doing nothing correct? How are you accomplishing anything by ranting on a message board? Aside from making yourself feel better of course. Why not spend the last hour you have on here volunteering time at a gun control action group or calling your senator or congressman to make sure they understand your opinion. I mean just yelling into a message board about about your ideas is accomplishing something? Most, if not all , of the people on here know your opinions so what is being accomplished?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login