Programs compared

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
All things being equal, Ole Miss will always be perceived as the better program. Why? It boils down to two things:
1.) Middle-aged sports writers enjoy covering games in Oxford because they like looking at the pretty co-eds walking around the Grove.
2.) After/before the game, middle-aged sports writers can go to the Square, have a nice meal and a couple of drinks...and look at the pretty co-ed walking around...

The media treats them like they're the better program and it colors everything else.
Is it really that much nicer in Oxfart than Vegas?

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I'm not really talking about the battles, I'm talking about the guys they lock up early who we literally have no shot at. Donte Moncrief is a good example.
Moncrief isn't a good example. They didn't have to lock him up. They have more of a lock-down on Rayleigh schools than they do in Oxford.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
All things being equal, Ole Miss will always be perceived as the better program. Why? It boils down to two things:
1.) Middle-aged sports writers enjoy covering games in Oxford because they like looking at the pretty co-eds walking around the Grove.
2.) After/before the game, middle-aged sports writers can go to the Square, have a nice meal and a couple of drinks...and look at the pretty co-ed walking around...

The media treats them like they're the better program and it colors everything else.
Your #1 is something that has never ever made sense to me. There are good looking girls on every single college campus. How in the hell did OM become known for having "top notch co-eds"? Does OM have some pretty girls there? Sure. But no more so than State, or LSU, or Auburn, or literally any other SEC school.

If you want to see a bunch of blondes, all majoring in professional husband hunting, with 7 layers of makeup and wearing a club/bar outfit to an 11AM football game, by all means go have fun ogling in Oxford. But the view is equally good if not better anywhere else in the SEC.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I know it’s stupid to argue with certain Ole Miss fans, but I heard one recently say that State won the Egg Bowl because it is our Super Bowl and then finished with, “and that’s why Ole Miss is a far superior program to State.”

First of all, losing a contest and then saying, “Well, my opponent cares about this contest more than me.” is weak. Secondly, how can any rational person think their football program is far superior? I know the only answer is fans aren’t rational, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something:

Egg BowlSEC wins
last 10 yearsTied 5-5State +2
last 20 yearsTied 10-10Even
last 30 yearsState 16-14State +1

I can’t help but provide facts when they repeat their shared delusion.

Neither program is far superior. In fact, it is remarkable how even the programs are over a 30-year period.
If i were an Ole Miss fan, which I'm not, and I wanted to make an argument for them, which I don't, I would try to frame the argument around the peaks of each program. Something like......

"While State has been to 13 straight bowl games, they've only been to one New Year's Six game in the time, which they lost. Meanwhile, in the last 10 years Ole Miss has been to three New Year's Six bowls including two Sugars, one of which they won. It takes a superior program to compete in and win at the NY6 level."

The truth is that State has been more the more consistent and stable program. Ole Miss has had higher peaks and lower valleys. As is the case with most things in sports, an individual's preference in those two choices is probably determined by the colors they wear.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Your #1 is something that has never ever made sense to me. There are good looking girls on every single college campus. How in the hell did OM become known for having "top notch co-eds"? Does OM have some pretty girls there? Sure. But no more so than State, or LSU, or Auburn, or literally any other SEC school.

If you want to see a bunch of blondes, all majoring in professional husband hunting, with 7 layers of makeup and wearing a club/bar outfit to an 11AM football game, by all means go have fun ogling in Oxford. But the view is equally good if not better anywhere else in the SEC.
Agreed and I live very close to TCU's Campus and IMO you'd be hard pressed to find better talent. I'd be willing to bet they're smarter and friendlier than tsun's too.

Reactions: drummerdawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
If i were an Ole Miss fan, which I'm not, and I wanted to make an argument for them, which I don't, I would try to frame the argument around the peaks of each program. Something like......

"While State has been to 13 straight bowl games, they've only been to one New Year's Six game in the time, which they lost. Meanwhile, in the last 10 years Ole Miss has been to three New Year's Six bowls including two Sugars, one of which they won. It takes a superior program to compete in and win at the NY6 level."

The truth is that State has been more the more consistent and stable program. Ole Miss has had higher peaks and lower valleys. As is the case with most things in sports, an individual's preference in those two choices is probably determined by the colors they wear.
Non CFP bowl games are consolation prizes. I wouldn’t use a consolation prize to say that one program is far superior to the other when they have basically the same record. However, if one program goes to significantly more SECCGs and/or CFPs, I’d say that program is clearly better.

I personally would prefer higher highs and lower lows if those higher highs include championships. But the last time one of these programs played for a championship was 1998.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

Actually, they can do the same thing in the Cotton District and the Junction. The real difference I believe is their journalism school. They have pumped out journalists that have infiltrated sports media at a rate similar to the democrats into the main stream media.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
How in the hell did OM become known for having "top notch co-eds"? Does OM have some pretty girls there? Sure. But no more so than State, or LSU, or Auburn, or literally any other SEC school.
It is all a matter of perception, taste, and experience. And as someone who had the good fortune to spend time on college campuses (and as a relentless unapologetic hound dog, back in the my day) let's say:
Among SEC schools the better looking co-eds and the quantity of better looking co-eds were at these three schools: UT, UK, OM - in that order. You were constantly running into fine young women.
State was in the next tier, probably below FL, but still better than UGA and Bama. But again, all a matter of taste and experience.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

They do dress sluttier at Ole Miss than at State. Or at least they used to. Doesn't really explain how they would get a reputation over say, LSU, who has more talent and their talent doesn't exactly dress conservatively. I guess short and low cut sun dresses are a slightly "classier" version of slutty if want to feel less creepy about ogling college aged girls?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Actually, they can do the same thing in the Cotton District and the Junction. The real difference I believe is their journalism school. They have pumped out journalists that have infiltrated sports media at a rate similar to the democrats into the main stream media.
We know that, but the college football media who get all giggly about getting to cover a game in Oxford don't seem to. Maybe it's the fact the Grove is twice the size as the Junction, and is pretty ridiculous.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
That's the point exactly.

As far as flips, I agree with you. Most flips don't matter. I never said anything about flips in my previous posts.
I didn’t say you did.

i was simply asking a question bc your post triggered a thought.

But goat gonna goat.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Sorry. I have to revisit this thread but with baseball. Ole Miss fans claimed we won because last weekend was our Super Bowl and just another weekend for them. This is also their response when the series record since 2016 is mentioned.

In addition to 20-6 head-to-head since 2016, the facts:
SEC winsSEC regular season titlesSEC West titlesSEC Tournament titlesSuper RegionalsCWS appearancesCWS titles
State107120531
Ole Miss101011311

So when an Ole Miss fan says we only care about beating them, respond, “During the domination in the series: more SEC wins, an SEC title, more Super Regionals, more trips to Omaha.”

And as far as records in Omaha, both teams have all-time winning percentages between 43-48%.

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
I know it’s stupid to argue with certain Ole Miss fans, but I heard one recently say that State won the Egg Bowl because it is our Super Bowl and then finished with, “and that’s why Ole Miss is a far superior program to State.”

First of all, losing a contest and then saying, “Well, my opponent cares about this contest more than me.” is weak. Secondly, how can any rational person think their football program is far superior? I know the only answer is fans aren’t rational, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something:

Egg BowlSEC wins
last 10 yearsTied 5-5State +2
last 20 yearsTied 10-10Even
last 30 yearsState 16-14State +1

I can’t help but provide facts when they repeat their shared delusion.

Neither program is far superior. In fact, it is remarkable how even the programs are over a 30-year period.
I have a non-related, yet connected question. What about when a non sec team plays an sec team with 20-25 opt outs in a bowl game? Beats them and then claims supremacy based on bowl game result. I don’t care so much about non-Msu teams nor is it the opponents problem when sec teams have 25 opts outs.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I remember when Jackie would play Arkansas. He said you could only get “up” for 2 or 3 games a year, and they were definitely NOT one of them. But for about 10 years or so, our more talented teams lost to Hootie Dale’s band of inspired misfits way more often than not. Hootie won a ton of games he had no business winning against a lot of opponents, and virtually all of them were because they treated each game like their Super Bowl.

If that idiot is telling you the Rebs don’t care about the egg bowl…. Lawwwwd.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Sorry. I have to revisit this thread but with baseball. Ole Miss fans claimed we won because last weekend was our Super Bowl and just another weekend for them. This is also their response when the series record since 2016 is mentioned.

In addition to 20-6 head-to-head since 2016, the facts:
SEC winsSEC regular season titlesSEC West titlesSEC Tournament titlesSuper RegionalsCWS appearancesCWS titles
State107120531
Ole Miss101011311

So when an Ole Miss fan says we only care about beating them, respond, “During the domination in the series: more SEC wins, an SEC title, more Super Regionals, more trips to Omaha.”

And as far as records in Omaha, both teams have all-time winning percentages between 43-48%.

VegasRebs is a fat useless troll and the overwhelming majority of his tweets are about Mississippi State.

His day is literally made when a State fan interacts with him.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Ole Miss is all up in the media business with their journalism program and they've got reps in Hollywood. They've been good at getting their program on TV with "The Season" on ESPN. They do a better marketing job than we do and it is as simple as that concerning the media.

Most of their fans are living off Johnny Vaught's glory years from 1954 to 1961. They won the SEC and even got ranked #1 by one of the dozen NC media outlets back then. For that reason their fans look down on State and think they are one of the elite programs in the nation.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
Or you could stop playing into their hands and not engage them on nonsense like this.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Yep, which is one of the main reasons I quit cheering against them. They are what they are, they aren't going anywhere, but neither are we. To me, they are just another team. And funny enough, it might even help MSU when they are good, in a weird way.

And Good Lord, when they won the baseball natty the year after us, I really gave up. It's been a good experience, to let go of the eggbowl.com nonsense.
I'd pull for Chi-Coms, N.Korea, Iran and Russia in sports over tsun.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login