PSA: At Home COVID tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I know several of you were looking for tests recently for work, school, travel, etc.

The federal site is up now for no cost to order tests. You can get one kit of 4 tests per house.

COVIDtests.gov

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
The at home tests are good to have if you test positive. If you test negative, you still might want to go to the doctor.

My daughter tested negative last week but tested positive at the doctor's office with a PCR test.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The at home tests are good to have if you test positive. If you test negative, you still might want to go to the doctor.

My daughter tested negative last week but tested positive at the doctor's office with a PCR test.
^^^^This^^^^ the Government is touting 80-90% accuracy but depending on the test you get it may be closer to 60%. I would be really concerned about false negatives.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
So if you feel sick and test positive, you more than likely have Covid. If you feel sick and test negative, you still might want to go to the doctor.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Sounds almost like that home colorectal cancer test kit, they say at the end of the ad "false positives and negatives are possible with this products". With those I wonder why the hell should I even buy the kit instead of getting a colonoscopy if I can't trust the results?

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Sounds almost like that home colorectal cancer test kit, they say at the end of the ad "false positives and negatives are possible with this products". With those I wonder why the hell should I even buy the kit instead of getting a colonoscopy if I can't trust the results?

All tests give false positives and negatives, and doctors rarely know the difference.

Example: for a test with a 99% accuracy (for both positives and negatives), for a disease with a 1% incidence in the population, if your patient tests positive what is the chance they have the disease? 50%. Only 10% of docs get this question right. The more rare the disease, the more likely a false positive (as the disease incidence approaches the error rate).

Saw an article about this recently regarding a surge in early pregnancy genetic testing. Since these tests test for highly rare diseases, even accurate tests throw out way more false positives than true positives.

For your question, such tests should be used as a screening tool only, and probably only if you are only marginally at risk (otherwise skip straight to the better test). Useful to know if you should follow up with a more invasive or expensive test. So long as the false negative rate is low.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
All tests give false positives and negatives, and doctors rarely know the difference.

Example: for a test with a 99% accuracy (for both positives and negatives), for a disease with a 1% incidence in the population, if your patient tests positive what is the chance they have the disease? 50%. Only 10% of docs get this question right. The more rare the disease, the more likely a false positive (as the disease incidence approaches the error rate).

Saw an article about this recently regarding a surge in early pregnancy genetic testing. Since these tests test for highly rare diseases, even accurate tests throw out way more false positives than true positives.

For your question, such tests should be used as a screening tool only, and probably only if you are only marginally at risk (otherwise skip straight to the better test). Useful to know if you should follow up with a more invasive or expensive test. So long as the false negative rate is low.

To quibble, I think that is 50% assuming the tests are given to a random sample, and not to persons showing symptoms or other indications showing they are more likely than the general population to have the disease. I think (hope) that's why doctors miss that question so much, is that they generally think about tests that are administered after having a reason to think the particular test needs to be administered.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Nahhh, if you test negative, go around as many people as possible and tell them don't worry, it's just a cold, not Covid, because you tested negative. At least I think that's what you're supposed to do from observing other people.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008

Yes, in your scenario a positive test would give you a 50% chance of being positive, while a negative test would give you a 98% chance of being negative.

If you tested 100 people and you assume the group matches statistical averages, then only 1 of those people would be positive. But 1 other person would return a false positive. So you would have 2 positive tests but only 1 positive person, meaning a 50% chance of infection in both people.

The other 98 people test negative, and I guess there is a 1% chance one of them is actually positive? Not sure of the math on that one.

So, If you test positive, go to the doctor for more tests. If you test negative but have symptoms, go see a doctor. If you test negative and have no symptoms, you are probably okay.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
With ±60% accuracy, it's almost like they WANT people to continue testing "positive".

#LOCKITUP

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017

I've had the same thing happen to me. Two rapid test were negative but my PCR test came back positive a few min ago.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
To quibble, I think that is 50% assuming the tests are given to a random sample, and not to persons showing symptoms or other indications showing they are more likely than the general population to have the disease. I think (hope) that's why doctors miss that question so much, is that they generally think about tests that are administered after having a reason to think the particular test needs to be administered.

Fair point. Though docs miss the question on the math alone, unfortunately. And the disease I learned about this testing effect from was Lyme disease, the symptoms of which are generic enough to have a multitude of possible causes (absent the tell tale bullseye rash), and the disease is rare enough that docs shouldn't just assume people have it based on the test, but I've known several people whose docs did.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Sure, but it takes 7-11 days to get them. So if you're feeling sick, they'll be there just in time for you to be over it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

True if you have sore/scratchy throat, fever, achy, fatigue, coughing etc

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I've had the same thing happen to me. Two rapid test were negative but my PCR test came back positive a few min ago.

Wife tested positive last Tuesday. I started running fever Friday. Went to a rapid test clinic. They tested me twice. Both came back negative. Said I could get the PCR test, but because of the weekend and holiday it would be Thursday before I got my results.

Not sure what the point would be finding out 6 days later.

Palmettodog

Aug 22, 2012
Same here. I got tested last week due to wife being positive with symptoms. Rapid test came back negative and lab test came back the next day positive. I had symptoms so I knew I'd be positive. Makes you wonder if the rapid test is complete waste.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
If you are not sick and not running fever, go to work. Everyone has made their own decision to get vaxxed or not. My vaxxed and boosted brother in law had it two weeks ago, my vaxxed brother in law has had it for almost 3 weeks and hasn’t been sick since the very first day but is still testing positive and can’t go to work, my unvaxxed brother in law had it week after Christmas and had light symptoms (runny nose and headache) missed a week of work. This is all three BIL’s second time to get the virus.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
So if you feel sick and test positive, you more than likely have Covid. If you feel sick and test negative, you still might want to go to the doctor.

what if I feel sick and test positive should i still go to the doctor?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Mostly agree. But if you know you've been exposed, get tested and sit out a week if you're confirmed positive.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Same here. I got tested last week due to wife being positive with symptoms. Rapid test came back negative and lab test came back the next day positive. I had symptoms so I knew I'd be positive. Makes you wonder if the rapid test is complete waste.

Same thing for a friend of mine. The rapid is a waste imo as you can't trust it.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Wife tested positive last Tuesday. I started running fever Friday. Went to a rapid test clinic. They tested me twice. Both came back negative. Said I could get the PCR test, but because of the weekend and holiday it would be Thursday before I got my results.

Not sure what the point would be finding out 6 days later.

The most accurate test result, whether PCR or rapid, is 2-3 days after the onset of symptoms. If fever was the only thing you had going on and you tested same day, then that’s probably why it was negative. The PCR test is a little more accurate than the rapid test early on in the incubation period, but both can have their issues if given too early in the infection life cycle.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Sure, but it takes 7-11 days to get them. So if you're feeling sick, they'll be there just in time for you to be over it.

I spent 5 hours waiting on a rapid test on Saturday (tested positive). Sat in my damn car the whole time because we had family in town and I couldn’t go home, or go too far from the clinic for fear of missing the test window. So I’ll happily take whatever free at-home tests they are doling out so that neither me nor any member of my family has to go through that **** again. Don’t care if I can’t use them for 2 weeks or 6 months or never. No skin off my back.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
Hey look, Ma! It's the same people posting the same **** in a different thread this week!!

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I heard the home tests have about a 95% accuracy rate on positive tests. 80% accuracy rate for negative.

It's really up to you.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Sounds like I made the wrong choice a week or so ago. I would like to know if that was really Covid or not.

My wife and I both got sick late Saturday the 8th. We went to an Webster Urgent Care when they opened their doors Sunday the 9th. We left home at 7:45 for the doors to open at 8.

They tested us for strep and Covid, quick test. They were both negative.

No doctor on duty but the nurse practitioner offered to treat us saying we probably have a false negative. We were both very sick and opted for the treatment without getting the test results from the longer test days later. We thought, what's the point. We were tired and it was almost 11:30 before we got out of there.

We drove to Starkville to get meds filled at drive thru and didn't get home until 2:15. We were both dead tired from the adventure.

I would like to have known if that was Covid or not, I am still weak from it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m all for relying on the state.

Kind of how are constitution was set up and definitely what the founders had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login