PSU Recruiting Thread

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
Cael has recently paid Rune Lawrence an in-home visit.

I suspect this was before the Mirasola twins committed ... still noteworthy.

This is a kid I have wanted since I first heard of his performance in last year's postseason. He brings that bonus mentality Cael loves.

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
This is a kid I have wanted since I first heard of his performance in last year's postseason. He brings that bonus mentality Cael loves.
Need a full court press by Cael, staff, and others. Geez this young man could be a 4 time National Champion under our Coaching staff

Last edited by a moderator:

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Need a full court press by Cael, staff, and others. Geez this young man could be a 4 time National Champion under our Coaching staff$$$$
Considering how few 4x national champs there are, it's more likely he doesn't start at PSU.

Also, Ryder and the Mirasolas have had more success at national-level events.

Not to say Lawrence can't succeed at PSU. Just that we have a logjam coming and it's way too early to tell how it will break, other than ridiculous expectations likely won't be met.

In Cael we trust.

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Considering how few 4x national champs there are, it's more likely he doesn't start at PSU.

Also, Ryder and the Mirasolas have had more success at national-level events.

Not to say Lawrence can't succeed at PSU. Just that we have a logjam coming and it's way too early to tell how it will break, other than ridiculous expectations likely won't be met.

In Cael we trust.
Hopefully the brothers get into some great competition this summer along with Lawrence as well.

BruceK-PSU83

Oct 31, 2021
Need a full court press by Cael, staff, and others. Geez this young man could be a 4 time National Champion under our Coaching staff$$$$
With the recent commitments of the Mirasola twins, Lawrence to PSU is even more unlikely than before. In fact, any more upper weight commits are unlikely, unless it's a true heavyweight. The focus now needs to be at the lower weights, especially 125, as Robert Howard's injury status is so uncertain (some might say not promising).

Reactions: Garw and Spinpsu

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
It's been an open secret that the Williams twins are no longer committed to Tan Tom, and will likely follow Betancourt to PSU. If clothing is any indication ...

Can someone provide some more info about them? I saw one finished 4th at piaa.

Reactions: Sloepoke20

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Can someone provide some more info about them? I saw one finished 4th at piaa.

Thanks for asking that. I’d also like more info on those guys.

A quick overview, focusing just on their performance as freshman, sophomore, and juniors at Pennsylvania States. I'll leave it to others to discuss their other accomplishments.

Kaedyn Williams

- 2021, he won the PIAA Class AAA Championship at 106 (and defeated incoming PSU commit Cael Nasdeo, 3-0, in the final)
- 2022, he placed 3rd in the PIAA Class AAA Championship at 113. He lost to Cole Campbell (BECCA) in the semis, then win his Consolation semi as well as the 3rd place match. (Cael Nasdeo was at the same weight, and finished 5th)
- in 2023, he placed 4th in the PIAA Class AAA Championship at 114. He lost to Carson Wagner in the semis, 7-5. He won 7-0 in the Consolation semis, but was pinned by Logan Sallot in the 3rd place match

His twin brother, Kamdyn Williams

- I don't believe he qualified for States in 2021.
- in 2022, he finished 5th @ 120. He lost to the eventual champion (and tOSU commit) Vincent Kilkeary, 12-6, in the semis. He then lost 1-0 in SV in the Consolation semis, and then won the 5th place match, 8-2
- in 2023, I believe he finished 5th at Regionals, and as such didn't qualify for States

Last edited:

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
They're both Fargo AAs.

Kaedyn made the 2021 Cadet world team in Greco, and reached the quarters at worlds.

Kamdyn did not go to 2021 states because he missed weight in the postseason (pretty sure it was before Hershey, but forget exactly if it were sectionals or SC Regionals). He was ranked #1 in the state at the time.

Their 2022 and 2023 seasons did not live up to their 2021 season. One wonders if 2021 were a virus-year outlier, or if the rest of PA has adjusted to them, or if they need better training partners/practices. If the latter, they'll get that at PSU.

They're both good prospects, though probably better in international styles than folk. I don't think either projects to beat Davis, at least in folk. And we know Cael will continue to recruit anyway. At worst they're very high level training partners, and probably costing little if any athletic scholarship money.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Kamdyn did not go to 2021 states because he missed weight in the postseason (pretty sure it was before Hershey, but forget exactly if it were sectionals or SC Regionals). He was ranked #1 in the state at the time.

It was at States. Due to the pandemic, the 2021 States were reduced both in numbers and in duration. Kamdyn won the Super Regional the previous weekend (defeating Vince Kilkeary in the final). He didn't make weight in the pre-meet weigh-ins the morning of States (it was a 1-day affair due to the pandemic).

@GregPickel should remember this. He wrote about it for one of his previous employers:

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
It was at States. Due to the pandemic, the 2021 States were reduced both in numbers and in duration. Kamdyn won the Super Regional the previous weekend (defeating Vince Kilkeary in the final). He didn't make weight in the pre-meet weigh-ins the morning of States (it was a 1-day affair due to the pandemic).

@GregPickel should remember this. He wrote about it for one of his previous employers:

Yep. I hadn't even had a chance to take a sip of my coffee that morning before the news came out and it was writing time. Remember it well!

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Good deal. I would still like to get the young man from Minn to man our 133 pound weight class. Young man is really good now and will only get better. Think he still has 3 years left. Hopefully the big guns pull through $$$$

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
We missed this one from early March: 2023, UT 3x state champ, this year at 132. Fargo AA. Won the Dave Schultz award for UT.

interesting.

I see that he also wrestled 126 in the recent NHSCA High School Nationals (he lost in the semis to Jaden Crumpler (Niagara Falls, NY), 4-1).

Also, an article from UT states (link below) had this about Kyison (bold added by me):

"Two other wrestlers finished as repeat state champs — Pleasant Grove’s Jacob Carson and Kyison Garcia of Mountain Ridge.

Garcia finished his career as a three-time state champ, with a third-place finish as a sophomore the only thing standing in his way of a four-peat. He wrestled at state that year after being just two weeks out of surgery following a spiral fracture on his tibia and fibula.

Garcia said he likes to think he would’ve taken state as a sophomore if healthy, but “God has a plan for everyone and that was his plan for me. I wasn’t meant to have three. My dad had three and I have three.”

On Thursday, he beat Layton’s Logan Crowther in the 132-pound final to wrap up his dominant high school career.

“The thing that I’m most proud of is my resilience. I’ve been through a lot. My mom passed away when I was 15 right before my freshman year,” said Garcia, who said wrestling was a great coping mechanism during many sad days.

With Thursday’s win, he joins his dad Pat Garcia as a three-time state champion, which he did at Hillcrest."

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Any information on this young man ? See he train’s at M2. Turning into a great feeder for PSU. Getting a lot of elite wrestlers.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Any information on this young man ? See he train’s at M2. Turning into a great feeder for PSU. Getting a lot of elite wrestlers.
2022 AA state finalist, lost to Jaden Pepe in the finals.

2023 Shore went AAA. Weiss was undefeated at 127, but missed weight at districts. Would've been in the same regional as Hayden Cunningham. Had he won that, he would've been the 2 seed at states opposite Kilkeary.

Placed at U17s over the weekend. 4th at Fargo cadet Greco last year.

Reactions: Spinpsu and SRATH

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Freshman year -- I don't know what he did
Sophomore year -- he placed 2nd in PIAA Class AA 120 lbs. He lost 15-4 in the final to Jaden Pepe (Wyoming Area), who was undefeated that year
Junior year -- he was ranked #3 in the PA @ 127, but missed weight in the District 4/9 AAA tournament
Senior year -- to be determined (he's a 2024 verbal)

Reactions: SRATH and Spinpsu

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Placed at U17s over the weekend.

Weiss competed in the 65 Kg class at U-17s in this past weekend's US Open. Here's how he did:

- R128: he TFed Marvin Morton (Temecula Valley HS Wrestling), 10-0, @ 0:37
- R64: he TFed Israel McCrae (Villa Park HS Wrestling), 11-9, @ 0:46
- R32: he TFed Daniel Heiser (Wisconsin), 14-3, @ 3:19
- R16: he was TFed by Tyson Charmoli (Pinnacle WC), 16-1, @ 1:36
- Consolation R16#2: he DEC Marco Dalakishvili (Greater Heights Wrestling), 10-8
- Consolation R8#1: he TFed Bas Diaz (Big Game WC), 10-0, @ 2:44
- Consolation R8#2: he DEC Nathaniel Askew (Georgia), 7-4
- Consolation R4: he was DEC by Kane Naaktgeboren (Big Game WC), 16-9
- 7th Place Match: he was TFed by Gavin Linsman (Missouri), 13-2, @2:08
- as such, he finished in 8th place in U-17s in the 65 Kg

Reactions: Tgar and SRATH

Spinpsu

Dec 1, 2022
Freshman year -- I don't know what he did
Sophomore year -- he placed 2nd in PIAA Class AA 120 lbs. He lost 15-4 in the final to Jaden Pepe (Wyoming Area), who was undefeated that year
Junior year -- he was ranked #3 in the PA @ 127, but missed weight in the District 4/9 AAA tournament
Senior year -- to be determined (he's a 2024 verbal)
Thank you Tom.

Reactions: Sachs125

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
M2, enough said. He has his mind right and is willing to jump into the fire with the best.

Latest posts