Put Jim Ellis to pasture

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Haven’t listened to Jim call a game in a couple years now. With all the games on the ESPN app I’m good with Bart and Charlie. Don’t even know what radio station to tune to if I had to.
Where I live only radio is to pull it up on app snd if you do that might as well pull up ESPN

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Haven’t listened to Jim call a game in a couple years now. With all the games on the ESPN app I’m good with Bart and Charlie. Don’t even know what radio station to tune to if I had to.
MSU affiliates

Live Stream

Our group has always had a radio going in the background in our outfield lounge. The play by play is now about 5 pitches behind the live action and thats turrible when you are sitting there watching it live, especially when they are coming back from an inning break and are already a couple pitches behind to start with

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
MSU affiliates

Live Stream

Our group has always had a radio going in the background in our outfield lounge. The play by play is now about 5 pitches behind the live action and thats turrible when you are sitting there watching it live, especially when they are coming back from an inning break and are already a couple pitches behind to start with
Thanks. There's been a few times over the last couple years when I'm driving and want to find the game to listen to but never know what station it's on, this will come in handy.

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
I have to confess that I have a beef with Jim that goes back to our 1996 run to the Final Four. Right before the Sweet 16 game against UConn, I made my way to the floor and sent a note to Jack saying hello to folks back home just as others were doing. Ellis took my note and flipped it aside, never showed Jack, and thus never read.
i graduated in 1978 and remember Jim starting shortly afterwards. Let him decide when to retire, but if I’m suggesting, it’s past time.

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Careful what you wish for. He could be replaced by someone who screams at nothing, creates terrible nicknames for his color guy and refuses to call them by their given name, and complains about every ball or strike called. Just saying it happens.
Or Bart Gregory

Trazom

Mar 26, 2023
Anybody have a link to Jim’s call of the walk off?
Jim: Alright, here’s Dakota Jordan with a chance to do some damage. Need something in the air right here, line drive or a sac fly. You want to avoid the double play ball at all costs.
Jay: Absolutely right there, Jim. Nothing on the ground. Get the ball into the air. Dakota needs to take a strike right here.
Jim: Ahhhhhh. First pitch is way outside for ball one.
Jay: Yeah, he’s not close.
Jim: Breaking pitch, down and away, and it’s 2-0.
Jay: That ball was a foot off the plate, Jim. Dakota needs to see a strike before he swings.
Jim: There’s a shot on the ground off the third baseman’s glove, one run will score, another rounding third, and he will score! Dogs win In walk-off fashion as Dakota Jordan has driven in the tying and winning runs with a walk-off single to left field.
Jay: Take a strike, that’s why I’m up here, and they are calling the game. Just a clutch piece of hitting by Dakota Jordan. Gets it off the end of the bat a little, but just has the power to punch it through that six-hole for the walk-off win.

Something like that…

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Y’all must be listening to a different broadcast. He always announces the score at the least every three outs.
Yeah, not always. He also misses entire pitches sometimes. I don't have romantic attachment to guys calling the game other than Jack. Flick had a much better intro to basketball games. Other than that, when I turn on the radio, I would like the count, what the base path looks like, some description of how the pitcher has been pitching to each hitter, batter information (Class, average, average against whichever arm they are battting, what they did earlier in the game, how the pitcher pitched them earlier in the game). All of that information should be easy to incorporate into the build up to each batter. Give me the count at the end of each pitch.

And repeat the score at the end of every half inning.

jumpdawg

Sep 7, 2012
you guys need to learn to appreciate him. I listen to the broadcast exclusively, synced with the tv. I enjoy the calls that sound like a home run that turn out to be a routine fly. Throw a phlematic Polk in there and you’re in heaven

Reactions: Susanp62

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Well. His replacement would probably be our Football PA announcer who calls womens softball for radio. Bart and Charlie would likely stay with TV stream for SEC+.

Jason Crowder of WFCA or Anthony Craven.

Susanp62

Nov 2, 2022
Jim is MSU baseball to me. His calls have always been neutral so it’s often hard to tell if state is winning or losing until you hear the score called which happens at least twice an inning. I’ve listened to every game he’s broadcasted since I left college in 1984. He loves baseball, compliments a good hit, play on the field regardless of the team the player is playing for. No, Jim is not a rabid MSU homer, which makes him first class. Bottom line for this old girl is that Jim is my FAVORITE part of MSU sports bar none. I prefer Jay I’m the booth to Ron for sure. And one thing I will miss with Cohen gone is his occasional guest spot in the booth.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
MSU affiliates

Live Stream

Purchase an AM/FM radio and tune it to 107.9 and it will be there for you, pitch by pitch with no delay. Apparently you are getting the broadcast on the app or a different link. Anything other than the radio will be delayed.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Purchase an AM/FM radio and tune it to 107.9 and it will be there for you, pitch by pitch with no delay. Apparently you are getting the broadcast on the app or a different link. Anything other than the radio will be delayed.
96.1 Starkville station is what we use. It been fine the last few weeks though, like they figured out how to synch it up

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Jim is MSU baseball to me. His calls have always been neutral so it’s often hard to tell if state is winning or losing until you hear the score called which happens at least twice an inning. I’ve listened to every game he’s broadcasted since I left college in 1984. He loves baseball, compliments a good hit, play on the field regardless of the team the player is playing for. No, Jim is not a rabid MSU homer, which makes him first class. Bottom line for this old girl is that Jim is my FAVORITE part of MSU sports bar none. I prefer Jay I’m the booth to Ron for sure. And one thing I will miss with Cohen gone is his occasional guest spot in the booth.

I didn't realize there were real women on this site. I need to be better.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I didn't realize there were real women on this site. I need to be better.

talking history channel GIF by Swamp People

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login