QB Size

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Will gets a lot of crap on here for being frail looking. However, I noticed on the depth chart for AU game, he is listed 2 inches shorter and 20 lbs heavier than our running QB Wright. Why the perception difference? Would he still be "frail" if he was fast?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Will gets a lot of crap on here for being frail looking. However, I noticed on the depth chart for AU game, he is listed 2 inches shorter and 20 lbs heavier than our running QB Wright. Why the perception difference? Would he still be "frail" if he was fast?
I haven't really seen Will called 'frail.' He's slow and unathletic, and he goes down like a sack of potatoes when he gets hit.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Having seen both out and about. Mike got more muscle and he definitely taller than will. Will just not built. He looks like most random country bros that play intramurals but don't work out or get ripped. Mike is also quick and fast. Will is neither. Doesn't move very athletically like a lot of qbs do even non dual threat guys. All the top college qbs out there can put up some serious rushing yards just from scrambling.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Having seen both out and about. Mike got more muscle and he definitely taller than will. Will just not built. He looks like most random country bros that play intramurals but don't work out or get ripped. Mike is also quick and fast. Will is neither. Doesn't move very athletically like a lot of qbs do even non dual threat guys. All the top college qbs out there can put up some serious rushing yards just from scrambling.
Iowa signed a qb out of Florida, Resar that runs a 10.6 100 6-4 , will be fastest qb in the country next year.

I see a lot of HS football games, it’s very common for the qb to run a 4.7 forty or better and be able to take off and pick up 20-30 yards if needed. This includes mid size high schools in small town white areas.

its pretty rare any more to see a high School qb who is not a good athlete. I can’t even remember one this year.

just as an aside, I think kids are getting faster due to speed camps and year around training. When I was in HS way back when, we had one kid two Classes above who ran a 4.5 , maybe a 4.6 in the class above and my class probably 4.7. now every class almost has a couple to a few kids who can run a 4.5 from what I’ve seen. This is in small town rural areas too.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I think people's perceptions about Will's possibly being frail comes more from his play than his appearance .

Right.

Like the way Rogers just falls down when he gets pressured in the pocket.

Can't blame him really . . . if my running abilities were as poor as his, I'd just fall down too.

Reactions: RockyDog

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Will is a grower Mike is a shower

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Iowa signed a qb out of Florida, Resar that runs a 10.6 100 6-4 , will be fastest qb in the country next year.

I see a lot of HS football games, it’s very common for the qb to run a 4.7 forty or better and be able to take off and pick up 20-30 yards if needed. This includes mid size high schools in small town white areas.

its pretty rare any more to see a high School qb who is not a good athlete. I can’t even remember one this year.

just as an aside, I think kids are getting faster due to speed camps and year around training. When I was in HS way back when, we had one kid two Classes above who ran a 4.5 , maybe a 4.6 in the class above and my class probably 4.7. now every class almost has a couple to a few kids who can run a 4.5 from what I’ve seen. This is in small town rural areas too.
Which is why I wonder why we signed and played a guy who can't for this long?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Just friggin no

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
It's real easy to tear a rotator cuff or break a collar bone just from falling. It's not about the hit. It's about the fall and how you land.
True. I crushed my collar bone falling in snow with no weight on my other than my own.

Reactions: patdog

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Compared to most division one athletes.
Compared to most D1 QBs i bet he isn't in the bottom 25%.

In the SEC from a speed/agility standpoint, he's definitely toward the bottom, but from an overall passing ability he's above 50%. Thats not even debatable even though i'm sure some of you will debate it.

If Will Rogers had played last weekend, and the line had blocked the same (i assume they would have), we probably score 21. Maybe more. Definitely would have scored 14.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

In the SEC from a speed/agility standpoint, he's definitely toward the bottom, but from an overall passing ability he's above 50%. Thats not even debatable even though i'm sure some of you will debate it.

If Will Rogers had played last weekend, and the line had blocked the same (i assume they would have), we probably score 21. Maybe more. Definitely would have scored 14.
I don't agree with making a definitive statement that the offense would have played better. Arkansas has a legit, elite defensive end that was largely neutralized because of Wright's mobility. That guy would've had a field day with Rogers back there. On the flip side, Wright made some plays with his feet that Rogers would not have been able to make. We went conservative because of the way the defense was playing; Arnett admitted this in his PC. That wouldn't have been any different with Rogers in there. We've seen it before with Rogers in there.

I believe we would've scored 21 if we had not throttled the offense in the second half. Tulu got zero touches after halftime. We ran the ball on every first down play but one after halftime. It's almost like we weren't even trying.

Reactions: SylvesterCream4.0

patdog

May 28, 2007
Tulu got zero touches after halftime. We ran the ball on every first down play but one after halftime. It's almost like we weren't even trying.
there is no excuse for either of these. And it’s at least the second time we’ve done that this season.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I don't agree with making a definitive statement that the offense would have played better. Arkansas has a legit, elite defensive end that was largely neutralized because of Wright's mobility. That guy would've had a field day with Rogers back there. On the flip side, Wright made some plays with his feet that Rogers would not have been able to make. We went conservative because of the way the defense was playing; Arnett admitted this in his PC. That wouldn't have been any different with Rogers in there. We've seen it before with Rogers in there.

I believe we would've scored 21 if we had not throttled the offense in the second half. Tulu got zero touches after halftime. We ran the ball on every first down play but one after halftime. It's almost like we weren't even trying.
Arnett isn’t gonna say “we went conservative bc wright can’t throw”.

He can’t. He’s not good at passing. It’s clear.

Do I wish rogers had better mobility? Sure, but he doesn’t.

Sep 16, 2023

We scored 14 and got a touchdown called back on a BS block in the back penalty on a long run by Mike.

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’m sure it probably has a little to do with perception. We had Relf, Dak, Fitz, Shrader in a 9 year span. People felt Russell was frail. Tommy Stevens was 6’5” 235 and KJ was 6’5” 225 and they felt frail by comparison.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Right.

Like the way Rogers just falls down when he gets pressured in the pocket.

Can't blame him really . . . if my running abilities were as poor as his, I'd just fall down too.
If??? I know Will looks very unathletic on an SEC field, but I suspect he's still more athletic than the vast majority of people on this board were when they were in high school. As far as I can find, he runs somewhere between a 4.5 and 4.9 40. Assuming the 4.5 is hand timed and the 4.9 is something accurate, that's still a pretty good high school athlete. I knew plenty of people that claimed a 4.5 or 4.6 40 in high school and they were generally good high school athletes, and they probably ran somewhere in the high 4's with a legit time. But the only ones that got any legit college interest at that speed were FBs, LBs, and DE, and none of them pulled an SEC schollie.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't think I've ever read a comment on here about Will being too small. His reputation comes from:
1. He rarely scrambles.
2. When he does scramble, he tends to slide too soon and/or fumble.
3. He shies away from stepping up, standing in the pocket, and taking a hit.
4. When he does take a hit in the pocket, he tends to fumble.
5. He would rather run 15 yards backwards to avoid a hit than go 1 yard forward to reduce lost yards.
6. When he does run 15 yards backwards, he tends to fumble.
7. He doesn't fight through contact, he just falls.
8. When he does fight through contact, he tends to fumble.
9. He's slower, less elusive, and less willing to take a hit than almost every quarterback we've had in the past 15 years. Yeah, some of the comparisons are debatable, but overall, he suffers from the comparisons to Mullen and Moorhead era quarterbacks.

Now, all of that being said, I'm not a Will hater. I'm just saying that we spent the better part of a decade with tough, sometimes punishing, mobile QBs and he's just not one.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
If??? I know Will looks very unathletic on an SEC field, but I suspect he's still more athletic than the vast majority of people on this board were when they were in high school. As far as I can find, he runs somewhere between a 4.5 and 4.9 40. Assuming the 4.5 is hand timed and the 4.9 is something accurate, that's still a pretty good high school athlete. I knew plenty of people that claimed a 4.5 or 4.6 40 in high school and they were generally good high school athletes, and they probably ran somewhere in the high 4's with a legit time. But the only ones that got any legit college interest at that speed were FBs, LBs, and DE, and none of them pulled an SEC schollie.

Right. I understand your point (i.e., Rogers has some speed and is probably fairly athletic compared to most people).

I know nothing about his 40 time, but I've watched him play QB during his career at Mississippi State. I would not describe what I've seen of Rogers' running abilities as "fast" or "athletic."

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be completely wrong.

Reactions: Dawgg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Right. I understand your point (i.e., Rogers has some speed and is probably fairly athletic compared to most people).

I know nothing about his 40 time, but I've watched him play QB during his career at Mississippi State. I would not describe what I've seen of Rogers' running abilities as "fast" or "athletic."

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be completely wrong.
That's obviously true with respect to the SEC, but I have played different sports with or against a few good high school athletes that went on to play punter or kicker in the SEC (and watched a few others in high school), and it's amazing how slow (and small) they end up looking when they get on the field in college. Granted they weren't absolute burners in high school, but certainly on the faster side. And they have looked like they were moving in slow motion moving after a bad snap or on a fake or covering down field. Granted that's a little different than a designed run (and I'm sure none of them are really excited about covering down field, so they might not be running all out), but probably pretty similar to scrambling as a QB.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
LOL at Rogers running anything close to a 4.5. Hand times aren't off by .4 seconds, so whoever put that number out was just flat out lying. I might could believe 4.9...maybe.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
True. I crushed my collar bone falling in snow with no weight on my other than my own.
These people are either didn't really get hit when they played football or never played football. way too many times that you got hit back when I played, you couldn't remember which side of the field your bench was on. The whole time you're trying to remember what you're doing, where you're at, or what day it is you can hear your coach scream, "Don't make me come out and get you! If I do, you're not coming back in!"

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login