Question about younger generations regarding salary?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I grew up in a household where I had no idea what my parents made. Still don't know the exact number nor care to but I have an idea.

Younger people at my place of work will discuss their salary out in the open. Is this now the norm or was it just my family that kept those kind of things private?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I grew up in a household where I had no idea what my parents made. Still don't know the exact number nor care to but I have an idea.

Younger people at my place of work will discuss their salary out in the open. Is this now the norm or was it just my family that kept those kind of things private?
I think it’s new. I never knew what my parents made and I never discussed what I made/make with anyone, but younger coworkers dang near tweet it out. Maybe I’ve just been out of the loop all this time.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
It is unfortunately becoming the norm with my groups of young engineers. Where it really hurts us schmucks in management and throughout the organization is when they start openly comparing entry level (0-2 years) salaries and ruffling the feathers of the slightly more experienced engineers/designers that may not have had their pay rise the same way the entry level ones have (and that is more to blame with our compensation team at HQ than just our local office). When I was coming up in the mid-90's, you just didn't share salary information. It was personal and private. Apparently, not anymore.

What I really hate regarding my kids is that to complete FAFSA crap for financial aid, you fork over your salary information, tax data, etc. Now, I know my daughter lets me complete that part and doesn't really look at it, but it's right there for her to see if she so wanted to. I never had my parents' earnings data available to me like that.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

I was told not to discuss my salary here at my place of employment. Ia m probably way overpaid for what I at home my kids do not know.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

I saw an episode of "Adam Ruins Everything" once where they were discussing this. Employers ask you not to mention salary only because it hurts them. It is completely legal to do, but if employees knew each other's salaries, then the lower earners would be asking for more, costing the employers more.

It might not be kosher to say, but it's actually better for employees if it is out in the open.

And I started at State in 1995 and finished in 2001, so I'm not some young millennial new to the work force.

I still don't know what my parents made and I don't discuss what I make with my kids either. FWIW, I keep all of my salary info between me and my wife.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Definitely generational. I only discuss those things with my wife (although her's is publicly available with a Google search).

I have mixed emotions on it. I could see it being beneficial to keep someone from being taken advantage of. The best markets are transparent for fairness and decision making. But I also don't want someone jealous/bitter of my salary bc they feel they deserve as much or more. Can cause bad relationships at work. Hell, same for me. I feel like I have a fair salary but if I found out others were comped more that I felt were inferior performers, then I couldn't help but bring emotions to work I'd rather not deal with. Ignorance might be bliss there...

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
A big part of that is corporate America wanted it to stay private. Younger generations are pushing back against that….particularly women looking for equality in pay, etc.

It actually doesn’t benefit the working class at all to keep their salary info private. The more they know about what others doing the same work make, the more they can accurately assess their own value for their current company, or a different one.

That being said, there’s a time and a place for everything. Open discussion about it in the office, or anything on social media (or company monitored communications) just isn’t a great idea.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
My opinion on it is that I don't share mine out, but I think it's fine to discuss it. The only people it benefits to keep quiet are business owners who generally underpay people who've been there a long time while favoring new hires.

Yes, it creates bad feelings and will lead to turnover but if you're screwing long-term employees you deserve what you get.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

New. I've talked to some 20's early career people and there are at least a couple of things that stand out:

1) Some of them see work as an imposition that takes away from them doing what they want to do, rather than as a way to fund the things that they want to do.

2) They routinely discuss salaries and actively use that information to push for equal pay. I think if i had to manage complaints among them about why some of them made more/less in the same job role, I'd pull them all into a room together and tell them each exactly why they made more/less than the other. If they want to talk openly and compare salaries, I'm going to review them openly and compare capabilities and productivity.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I saw an episode of "Adam Ruins Everything" once where they were discussing this. Employers ask you not to mention salary only because it hurts them. It is completely legal to do, but if employees knew each other's salaries, then the lower earners would be asking for more, costing the employers more.

It might not be kosher to say, but it's actually better for employees if it is out in the open.

And I started at State in 1995 and finished in 2001, so I'm not some young millennial new to the work force.

I still don't know what my parents made and I don't discuss what I make with my kids either. FWIW, I keep all of my salary info between me and my wife.
Employers could flip that script if they wanted to, and were good with documentation. Let's say it was out in the open. While I don't think an employer could give the info, they could essentially say, "hey, this is what it is, if you want more, do this/that/the other". Could possibly make it much harder for employees to try and push them around.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This is an interesting discussion and I think it is two separate situations.

Whether to share what you make with coworkers, especially out in the open around the office is one.
Whether to share it with nuclear family members, especially children is another.

I’m as old of a millennial as it gets.

- I have never openly discussed salary in the office and a casual manner.
- I have discussed salary and bonuses with coworkers who are friends.
- I have never heard younger employees opening discussing salary while at their desks at work- and we had a lot of em at a bullpen style office for a fortune 200 company I worked at for 18 years.

- I knew what my parents made growing up. My wife had no idea what her parents made.
- We share share salary, spending habits and investing practices with both of our children. It is in and analytical approach so that they have an understanding of what things cost in their lives as well as how to save for short term and long-term purchases.

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don’t think it’s legal for your company to tell you to not discuss your pay with coworkers. At least according to my company’s HR, and I question them often.
I might have used the wrong wording. It was a strong ask not too. I work for a great company with great retirement, great benefits, family-oriented company that has 18 billion in assets. They take really good care of me and pay me really good. I was asked not to so I will not.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
New. I've talked to some 20's early career people and there are at least a couple of things that stand out:

1) Some of them see work as an imposition that takes away from them doing what they want to do, rather than as a way to fund the things that they want to do.

2) They routinely discuss salaries and actively use that information to push for equal pay. I think if i had to manage complaints among them about why some of them made more/less in the same job role, I'd pull them all into a room together and tell them each exactly why they made more/less than the other. If they want to talk openly and compare salaries, I'm going to review them openly and compare capabilities and productivity.
The problem with that is, is that 90% of the time someone could make more or isn't, is because they just didn't demand more or switch jobs. Not exactly something employers want them to know.....

Reactions: WrightGuy821

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
I'm 36, so I'm right in the middle to older millennial by birth years. I never knew what my Dad made. I always either knew or had an idea of what my Mom made. My wife is 32, and she has no idea what her parents made. My wife and I talk about our salaries with each other. I talk about salaries with colleagues I trust, but I never bring it up in casual conversation with colleagues I don't know well. Most of us will always work for someone or something else, and will largely always be replaceable. I believe that you should have some idea of what others around you are making for your benefit when negotiating a salary raise at your current job, or a salary at a potential new job.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Never heard my parents talk about money
We had what we needed but not everything we wanted.

I don’t talk about salary with my friends. I’d be the short straw it most conversations but we doing aight.

Work remote now but when I was with a team a few of us discussed.

Luckily the new company has a wager transparency program so you now the range of just about everyone

Reactions: 17itdawg

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I did not know how much my parents made but I knew it wasn't a lot. No government assistance but I didn't get all the good stuff the other kids got. We used well water not county. We killed a cow and a pig every year for meat. We grew a three-acre garden for all the vegetables. My mom had peach and apple trees. She had grape vines and blue berry. They worked my butt off. I never went without, but I didn't get to wear the Raph Lauren clothes. Probably made me more of a humble person.

Reactions: Chesusdog

JCsunshine89

Sep 4, 2023
In my line of work my salary is public knowledge, it’s actually posted online if you wanted to see who was making what. I also grew up not knowing what my parents made and never asked.

LIdawg1157

Apr 19, 2021
I still don't know what my parents make. My wife doesnt know what her parents made either.

It is extremely commonplace in my industry (insurance), to discuss nowadays because of an Instagram account. This account got people to submit their salaries and bonuses and info (male/female, race, years of experience. They truly blew the lid off of it. I like it because employers can't hide anymore underpaying people who are top performers.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I might have used the wrong wording. It was a strong ask not too. I work for a great company with great retirement, great benefits, family-oriented company that has 18 billion in assets. They take really good care of me and pay me really good. I was asked not to so I will not.
Yeah, when I meet with someone and their pay is discussed, I always say something to the effect of “I’m asking you to not discuss your salary with coworkers because it will end up making my job more difficult, but it’s completely your call.”

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009

It's new. I'm in my early 50s, and when I was starting out, discussing your pay with another employee was grounds for immediate termination. This was in Mississippi, which is an employment at will state, so even if First Amendment issues got in the way, you'd better believe they would've cooked up a more neutral-sounding reason to get you gone.

What I see now, as a manager, is the youngest crowd doesn't think twice about it. I try to be open-minded about the fact that maybe transparency is a good thing, while managing the occasional torches-and-pitchforks crowds it stirs up. My still-evolving way to handle it is to remind them of the old adage that comparison is the thief of joy. If you come in my office saying that so-and-so makes more than you, it's probably going to be because so-and-so has a longer/better track record than you, different/more experience than you ... or has been evaluated to be a better employee than you.

The worst of the youngest crowd nowadays have been, I think, a little emboldened by it being in the open. I've had two come in my office over the last year or three who told me "XYZ is paying $3/hour more than I make here, and if you can't match that, then I'm going to have to leave." Both times I told them I'm so sorry to hear that, but I accept your resignation and hope that it works out for you.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

My father owned his own business and handled a lot of cash (as did his father). Like you I didn't know amounts. The Lebanese community accumulated wealth quite efficiently and kept their wealth private very efficiently. Even with family !
1721057467598.png

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011

It was the same in my household growing up, and the same with my kids (I don't let them know). You're right about younger people, and it leads to a bunch of unnecessary problems and drama. Back when I was managing a small group of about 40 engineers/designers/drafters, one guy opened a huge can of worms by talking openly about it. That's why I think it's always been something that people just kept to themselves. It can cause a lot of problems and there is really no upside to it. They think by complaining openly, they can band together to force the "evil" managers into doing something different. Reality is there are tons of factors that go into compensation packages and the complainers usually don't understand. The loudest complainers are almost always the worst workers as well. But there's a generally accepted urban legend within this group that all managers are inept buffoons who lucked their way up the ladder or got there due to "muh privilege" or some other nonsense.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I never knew what my parents made or a more accurate statement what they didn't make. I have never discussed my salary with anyone other than my wife even though it is pretty easy to find out.

Related to people's salaries, I spent this morning handing out raise letters. I was greeted with everything from tears of gratitude to gee thanks.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

People really don't like to hear it for some reason, but I'll say again that the best way to define corporate profit is the sum of how much it underpays its employees. Employees should understand that minimizing the payroll is the chief concern of every large enterprise, including that they will let the best employees leave to maintain the system. To maximize your pay, you need to know what you can get. It's not as simple as just demanding a raise. It's a never ending campaign. But the flip side of that is the more you make the more you're a target.

I personally do not recommend trying to maximize your pay. Work your manager so that you're not getting screwed, but there are better things in life than 10% more pay and what it takes to get it (and the career risks with it).

Reactions: dorndawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The problem with that is, is that 90% of the time someone could make more or isn't, is because they just didn't demand more or switch jobs. Not exactly something employers want them to know.....
I don't know if 90% is anywhere close to true, but it's certainly true that job hoppers tend to get better pay. But co-workers talking doesn't really address that.

What stopping co-workers addresses is not having to have difficult conversations with employees and/or not being able to paly favorites.

I'm of two minds about being open with employee pay. The biggest problem is that employees' perception of their worth is not highly correlated with actual worth. If you have a team where you don't have a place for average workers, that's great. Let people know how you view them and watch them leave. But there are teams with roles where you just don't need everybody to be a superstar, but while people may know they aren't a superstar, it's still probably a gut shot to show up to work and know you're on the middle or lower end of the pay range. If it's something that you can fix with effort, that's great feedback and hopefully a good manager would be giving it already. If it's just capability that you can't fix, that's a lot tougher.

I will say that while I have never told anybody not to discuss pay or raises, I have told them that if other employees find out somebody has gotten a raise or gets paid more in general, that's going to be a headache for management and what do you think management's response will be if they learn that giving raises or paying for performance creates a headache for them?

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The IRS doesn't even know how much I make.
Joe Biden GIF by PBS News

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Today is my 39th anniversary at my company. Does anyone call a superior Mr or Ms Jones anymore? Everything is on a first name basis even dealing with most customers. I think the income secrecy is something that is leftover from a company power standpoint and it is good that this more casual generation doesn't adhere to something that is such an advantage to the company.

My wife's employer was bought out a few years back by a big corporation. She was put on salary as an optical store manager. What that ended up doing was the company felt they could abuse their managers because of the fixed cost and would force them to dismiss the hourly employees and the manager was forced to basically cover any overtime required. They would not pay managers any commission that was available to hourly employees even if they were forced to do that job due to short staffing. It was a disadvantage to be a manager. So she resigned from being a manager and went hourly and now makes at least the same but doesn't have to put in the hours she once did. I tell this because most companies will try their best to use every advantage they can for the companies benefit.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
In some cases. However, the change jobs routine for more pay only works for so long. At some point, more productive people tend to get recognized. When I had a lot of employees, I had many with the same title that did not make the same pay. It was based on productivity, which was typically a mix of capability+experience+diligence+intangibles. I had clear, achievable goals and deliverables and they all did similar work on different projects so it was quite easy to tell who produced the most. I'm all about fair pay, however, equal and fair are not the same thing.

Also, I never negotiated people leaving. I knew I paid them fairly so if they were planning to leave, I respected their decision. I've also never used another job offer to try to leverage more salary out of my current employer. If I have decided to leave, it is for reasons and I'm not going to be bargained with after making that decision.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It is unfortunately becoming the norm with my groups of young engineers. Where it really hurts us schmucks in management and throughout the organization is when they start openly comparing entry level (0-2 years) salaries and ruffling the feathers of the slightly more experienced engineers/designers that may not have had their pay rise the same way the entry level ones have (and that is more to blame with our compensation team at HQ than just our local office). When I was coming up in the mid-90's, you just didn't share salary information. It was personal and private. Apparently, not anymore.

What I really hate regarding my kids is that to complete FAFSA crap for financial aid, you fork over your salary information, tax data, etc. Now, I know my daughter lets me complete that part and doesn't really look at it, but it's right there for her to see if she so wanted to. I never had my parents' earnings data available to me like that.
Your first complaint is frustrating because you are a messenger and taking the brunt of frustration even though it wasn't your decision.
But you identified the problem and who is the real issue - it isn't the people discussing salary, it's the people setting pay. People discussing pay isn't hurting your schmucks.

As for the second issue, yeah that is a tough one, if you are feeling like you need to hide salary from your 17 or 18yo kid. I don't understand why it would need to be hidden, but if you have your reasons, then, yeah, that makes it tough to hide salary.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
The worst of the youngest crowd nowadays have been, I think, a little emboldened by it being in the open. I've had two come in my office over the last year or three who told me "XYZ is paying $3/hour more than I make here, and if you can't match that, then I'm going to have to leave." Both times I told them I'm so sorry to hear that, but I accept your resignation and hope that it works out for you.
You rule 14'ed them.

14. Any poster who says in his or her post that they are leaving the board will be taken at face value and banned immediately to save them the trouble.

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
A big part of that is corporate America wanted it to stay private. Younger generations are pushing back against that….particularly women looking for equality in pay, etc.
I get the point, but it's just not the apples and oranges comparison people want it to be. Case in point, when I left one management job for a promotion, they let me recommend my replacement. I recommended a woman I had hired just a couple of years prior. They made her an offer. she came to me asking what I was making in that position, and at first I didn't want to tell her because I knew they would have offered her less because she hired on at a rate way below what I was making. Eventually I told her, and she became irate saying they offered her x amount less "because she is a woman". I explained to her, no, they offered you less because you were already making way less. You had been with the company 2 years, where I was with the company 10 years so I had already worked my salary up from various promotions and other experiences. I did a better job negotiating, because frankly I didn't need the job or the headache that came with it as I was happy in my previous job before they asked me to take that position (I didn't even apply for it, they came to me so I had a lot of leverage). I could go on and on, but it had nothing to do with her being a woman. It was something she perceived, and still perceives to this day. People/companies really just don't care anymore. Can you do the job? If yes, you can have it. They will look at your experience, your skills, your current situation, and a lot of other factors to come up with a compensation package to offer you. It's just like anything else - they will try to get you for the minimum amount they think you'll take. If they really want you, negotiating will be fairly easy. If they consider you just one of several/many that can fill the role appropriately, then your offer will reflect that and you may not have much negotiating power. You can have 100 senior engineers all with the same years of experience, and all 100 of them are different. You'll have some worth a lot, and plenty worth next to nothing. Many will be in the middle. Thinking you can or should pay them all the exact same is naive at best.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

My conspiracy theory is that when big companies say they gave out X.X% average raises this year, that they're lying.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
People really don't like to hear it for some reason, but I'll say again that the best way to define corporate profit is the sum of how much it underpays its employees.

That's just completely detached from economic reality. Even in a service business, there are assets, both tangible and intangible, that are producing value. If you could only make a profit by underpaying employees you wouldn't have any firms at all.

Employees should understand that minimizing the payroll is the chief concern of every large enterprise, including that they will let the best employees leave to maintain the system. To maximize your pay, you need to know what you can get. It's not as simple as just demanding a raise. It's a never ending campaign. But the flip side of that is the more you make the more you're a target.

Different firms have different compensation philosophies. Minimizing payroll is not going to be the chief concern of most large enterprises. Certainly payroll is a big cost for most firms, and it's certainly true that for some positions at some firms, they would rather let a good employee leave than give up relatively centralized control of compensation. I would agree with basically everything else, just not the absolutes.

I personally do not recommend trying to maximize your pay. Work your manager so that you're not getting screwed, but there are better things in life than 10% more pay and what it takes to get it (and the career risks with it).
I don't now. 10% is a lot over time. I don't disagree that you don't want to be an employee that's always asking for more and there are risks to being relatively highly compensated for a position. But if you're overpaid by 10% for 15 years and then get laid off, how long do you have to be unemployed to undo that 10%?

I think a somewhat similar line of advice would be to live your life financially based on the compensation at a job you feel confident you could get in 30 days. So if you're a waiter at a chain restaurant, you can presumably go get another similarly paying job. If you are a VP of a bank in a small town, you probably need to think about what it looks like if you lose your job and whether you could quickly replace that income without having to relocate. Not only will this make sure you save sufficiently, it will be much less stressful for you.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023

Was told by my grandfather to never discuss how much money you make or who you vote for, it can only lead to arguments / resentment. I've always lived by that and have encouraged my kids to do the same.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login