Question for the board

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Since y'all responded so overwhelmingly to my request for subscriptions to our YouTube channel, I thought it only right to ask your opinion on content. I'm going to be making a video series of severe weather terms and topics to probably start releasing in March before our spring severe weather season ramps up. Basically explaining some of the terms I use or you may see elsewhere so what I'm saying makes more sense. So, anything severe weather related you'd like me to talk about? I've got about 20 topics already in my mind to talk about but would like more. Once I get my list, I'll group them into like topics and start filming. Also downloaded an app on my phone I hope will let me edit in graphics. Otherwise, it'll be 5-10 minutes a video looking at my ugly face.

Also, any other topics. Once our severe weather season is over it can be hard to come up with content so always looking for ideas to use in the slow weather times. Maybe something with hurricanes?

And I'll admit the obvious. After a couple of years of our YouTube channel and Patreon site struggling and limping along, I've decided to start busting my *** trying to improve content and gain new subscriptions and members to both. There's a lot of things we, as a team, would like to be able to do, but we're all paycheck to paycheck regular folks it can be hard to splurge on some of the necessary items.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You should set up a second channel on Rumble. I am assuming it works the same way.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
This may be a dumb or overly simplistic question but I'm curious how they calculate the percent chance of rain (or other precipitation). And how big of an area is that number usually applied to?

Last edited:

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
This may be a dumb or overly simplistic question but I'm curious how they calculate the percent chance of rain (or other precipitation). And how big of an area is that number usually applied to?

That's actualy a good question a lot of people don't understand. The NWS uses a formula where Pop (Percent of Precipitation) = Confidence the meteoroligst is of measureable precip occuring X the expectred rate of coverage in their forecast area.

So if the met is 80% confident it will rain in his area and it will cover 50% of his forecast area then PoP = 0.8 X 0.5 for a 40% chance of rain during the forecast period.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
You should set up a second channel on Rumble. I am assuming it works the same way.

I've never heard of rumble but considering my lack of tech savvy and keeping up with the latest thing that isn't surprising. I'll have to look into it.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
That's actualy a good question a lot of people don't understand. The NWS uses a formula where Pop (Percent of Precipitation) = Confidence the meteoroligst is of measureable precip occuring X the expectred rate of coverage in their forecast area.

So if the met is 80% confident it will rain in his area and it will cover 50% of his forecast area then PoP = 0.8 X 0.5 for a 40% chance of rain during the forecast period.

Basically, it's a SWAG ....

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login