Question - what do you think our total football team budget is for NIL for a year?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
How much are we paying our roster currently? I have no idea what the number is but curious what everyone's thoughts are.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I really don't want to know the number. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are.
Why wouldn't we want to know? It's relevant information. But I will couch that with this:

We probably do but why would they tell us? There are some things we just shouldn't know. We get the information and then others know what our budget is and use that information against us.
If we don't know how we stack up against our peers, I would agree that it's useless information. Other than just to piss off more fans that hate NIL, when they see how much it is.

But without knowing fact about our donations vs. other SEC teams, it's hard to make good decisions about how to allocate that money. It just turns into a "more more more" situation, which isn't smart or sustainable. I don't know if ADs have this info or not, since the collectives are private.

I would also be curious to see if NIL donations follow the same trends as other athletic donations, as far as how we compare, etc.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

NWADog

Aug 16, 2014
2 million is my guess for football. 1 million for basketball and 1.5 for baseball.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
I’d guess around $2mm each for football and basketball.
About $500k for baseball.
About $125k for women’s hoops.

Men’s Basketball is the only one being, truthfully, competitively funded.

This is perhaps unpopular, but I’d also like to state that I love the success Women’s hoops has had, but every cent given to them over a big men’s basketball or football player is a waste.

Baseball not being much different. And, I’m a baseball first guy, personally. However, I see the priority being football and basketball without a close 2nd.
Dalton Knecht at Tenn is worth about 10 Lauren Park Lane and Karson Ligons in NIL value.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
perfect loops fiver GIF

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We probably do but why would they tell us? There are some things we just shouldn't know. We get the information and then others know what our budget is and use that information against us.
Admittedly, I have practically no real NIL knowledge, so you could be right. I recall some on here insisting that unless there was some way to know some detail about the accounting/spending that they wouldn't contribute. It could end up being one big **** measuring contest, I suppose, but at the end of the day you either have the funds to pay a player to come or you don't.

It seems to me that to thrive you need real money in the NIL and it needs to be setup like a foundation that lives off the interest and doesn't touch the principal.

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’d guess around $2mm each for football and basketball.
About $500k for baseball.
About $125k for women’s hoops.

Men’s Basketball is the only one being, truthfully, competitively funded.

This is perhaps unpopular, but I’d also like to state that I love the success Women’s hoops has had, but every cent given to them over a big men’s basketball or football player is a waste.

Baseball not being much different. And, I’m a baseball first guy, personally. However, I see the priority being football and basketball without a close 2nd.
Dalton Knecht at Tenn is worth about 10 Lauren Park Lane and Karson Ligons in NIL value.
Agree with you on basketball, but can't go with you on baseball. And football should be a very specific, strategic use. Again, until we know amounts, all we have to go on is the rumors. Cohen said in 2022 that 3 other SEC baseball fanbases had more NIL baseball money in their collectives than MSU had in its entire athletic department. Considering odds like that, what are we even doing with football? We are always going to be on the bottom.

Considering that assumed fact, we need to fund baseball as much as possible so we can continue to win there, along with basketball. If we throw all our money at football, we will just lose everywhere.

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
How much are we paying our roster currently? I have no idea what the number is but curious what everyone's thoughts are.
I don’t give a 17
I’ll continue to give my $$ to the Bulldog Club and what they do with it- don’t care.
I’m not giving $$ to the NIL for some idiot to blow it and then whine and cry for more and transfer to who the 17 strokes him.
17 that !

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I would think for football we are at or around 8/9MM. We need to get to 10/12MM every year. For basketball we need to be at 2/3MM each year. And this is going to hurt some feelings but baseball doesn’t have an ROI so therefore if you are going to give to baseball might as well just burn that money. College football and basketball are where the money needs to go.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Best guestimate is $3 Milly a year, but I do know this... Thanks to the portal we ain't buying shìt, we're just renting. And the rent is too damn high

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

If we are paying X & the NIL powers are paying 3X and Texas is around 4X considering the NIL collectives got megaboosted there and they’ve paid over $15 million to their athletes with 90 percent of that going to football and basketball…

I’ll say $1.7 million.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
NIL and transfer portal are out of control. However, there is one thing for me that is well within my control. Until more stability and sense is established, I choose to spend my money elsewhere. IF safeguards are in place when NIL money is promised to a recruit then tell me what they are. Let me know at least a little about what is going on. It seems we are being asked to give $ to something on pure, blind faith. I do not want to know how much a young man is paid but do not understand the lock down secrecy.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Admittedly, I have practically no real NIL knowledge, so you could be right. I recall some on here insisting that unless there was some way to know some detail about the accounting/spending that they wouldn't contribute. It could end up being one big **** measuring contest, I suppose, but at the end of the day you either have the funds to pay a player to come or you don't.

It seems to me that to thrive you need real money in the NIL and it needs to be setup like a foundation that lives off the interest and doesn't touch the principal.
In theory, this is a great idea, but I don't think there's enough money in the world to pay what any of these teams are paying off of interest alone.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
In theory, this is a great idea, but I don't think there's enough money in the world to pay what any of these teams are paying off of interest alone.
Correct. It seems unsustainable, unless there are a whole lot of rich people who somehow got that way by being dumb with money. If you believe in market efficiency, it should find a sustainable pay rate and the general pecking order in CFB will likely stay the same with some potential for a new elite program that hitherto has not been a desirable program but has plenty of money to make it so. We shall see...

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login