R.I.P., Simpson County Super Bowl?

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I think they've been pretty stable. But both are poor performing districts. Lots of people send their kids to the academy, as well as a couple other schools in other counties.

I think that is pretty spot on. 20 to 25 years ago, Magee was bouncing up and down from 3A to 4A. Simpson Academy has grown a good bit over the past 10 - 15 yrs, probably getting more kids from Magee than Mendenhall, (and Magee has remained 3A even though 6A was added during / just before that time frame). Some have found ways to send their kids to Mize.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
Mendenhall's (4A) enrollment is 565 and Magee's (3A) is 368. Combined school will 6th largest 5A school. They would need 104 more students to be a 6A school, so they are safe.

Will push Vancleave to 4A.

Likely region would be

New Simpson School
Brookhaven
Florence
Hattiesburg
Natchez
South Jones
West Jones
Laurel

That's interesting as Magee once played a lot of games against West Jones, South Jones, Laurel, (and Northeast Jones also). i think the Trojans were in a district in 4A with South, West, and Laurel at one point. They also once played against a green team from Waynesboro High before the Wayne County War Eagles came to life.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The Waynesboro Central Panthers. They merged with Beat Four, Clara, and Buckatunna to create Wayne County.

Funk6652

Oct 24, 2013
Wow. That’s going to turn into a football powerhouse. I used to hate playing Magee and Mendenhall was tough as well. While at C-L played ball with some great guys from Simpson co. Great players too. Melvin Smith was one.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
There have been rumors that the district wants to open a new school in Magee in a building that was acquired that was once a large office building or something. Can someone verify this?

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I grew up in Lincoln County and it needs to happen there. 4 county schools who bounce between 1A-2A. Bogue Chitto, Loyd Star, West Lincoln, and Enterprise.

I know it is not an elected position anymore, but the last superintendent who even mentioned possible consolidation was not elected back the next term.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
No chance in Jasper Co. Smith Co is another that's been rumored, but not as loudly as Covington. Smith just invested in all their athletic facilities, so I doubt anything happens there either.
At some point it has to happen in Calhoun county. three schools there smaller than 2A. Its been 10 years almost since consolidation in Choctaw so I'm surprised its not happening at these other smaller schools and counties yet.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I grew up in Lincoln County and it needs to happen there. 4 county schools who bounce between 1A-2A. Bogue Chitto, Loyd Star, West Lincoln, and Enterprise.

I know it is not an elected position anymore, but the last superintendent who even mentioned possible consolidation was not elected back the next term.

You know why it's that way. And a couple those schools got in trouble from having kids outside their districts. They had a pretty good shake up over there a few years ago. But you could combine Enterprise and Bogue Chitto and Loyd Star and West Lincoln easily.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Bob?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I do not. Then it becomes 100% politics of just a few in most places in MS. MS education is eat up at the local level by politics already. Especially in more rural areas. If there was an actual requirement of education for the board choosing, I'd agree. But those guys are just locals with no experience in education in most cases.

Making the superintendent an elected position doesn't change that. It makes it more political. That can be an improvement if the board is corrupt and incompetent. Or it can worse if the board muted some of the worst tendencies of the voting populace. If you have a reasonably informed and engaged electorate, it probably doesn't matter which way you do it. There will be some accountability. If you don't, neither approach is going to fix an issue, but I think there is a better chance of getting board that makes a good decision than the voters if the voting populace isn't informed and engaged. Also, probably the biggest thing is you're not limited to superintendents that already reside in the district. Lots of schools districts in Mississippi have a small enough population that they probably don't have a really good option for superintendent already living there.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You know why it's that way. And a couple those schools got in trouble from having kids outside their districts. They had a pretty good shake up over there a few years ago. But you could combine Enterprise and Bogue Chitto and Loyd Star and West Lincoln easily.

How far apart are those schools? Aside from teh politics, it is a challenge that some counties have a population small enough that if you get reasonable sized schools, you end up with some county members driving a long way to get to school. And historical placement of schools can make it worse.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Here you go…

View attachment 23575

Edit to add:

Less than 7 miles between Enterprise and Bogue Chitto.
A little over 17 miles between Loyd Star and Bogue Chitto.
Slightly over 10 miles between Loyd Star and West Lincoln.
A little over 11 miles between West Lincoln and Bogue Chitto.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
615-- Former Magee head coach Teddy Dyess thinks enrollment is not as stable as we're thinking...

Will be a 4a soon after opening due to people leaving— Teddy Dyess (@CoachTDyess) January 12, 2022

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
615-- Former Magee head coach Teddy Dyess thinks enrollment is not as stable as we're thinking...

Will be a 4a soon after opening due to people leaving— Teddy Dyess (@CoachTDyess) January 12, 2022

But they're 3A. So not sure I understand. They've been 3A awhile. They were 3A when Dyess was there.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah and 709 is the lowest 5A number based on the last classification figures.

There's at least one other person in that twitter thread saying that the school will be in the lower range of 5A.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Here you go…

View attachment 23575

Edit to add:

Less than 7 miles between Enterprise and Bogue Chitto.
A little over 17 miles between Loyd Star and Bogue Chitto.
Slightly over 10 miles between Loyd Star and West Lincoln.
A little over 11 miles between West Lincoln and Bogue Chitto.

Does the Northeast quadrant of the county drive to Enterprise or Lloyd Star? That's really not that far as the crow flies, but I'm guessing that ends up being a decent little drive. Even though it's not that far, I suspect if you told the partents of West Lincoln and Bogue Chitto that they were going to have to start driving an extra 10-15 minutes each morning, they'd raise hell about it. And I don't really blame them. I'm sure a lot of them arranged where they live in part based on where the school was and having the school moved even 7 miles is pretty disruptive to them.

Jul 31, 2020
Sucks for those kids from Harrisville. They already ride/drive a ways to get to Mendenhall. If they decide to use that location in Magee, it'll be a 35-40 minute commute for some.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Sucks for those kids from Harrisville. They already ride/drive a ways to get to Mendenhall. If they decide to use that location in Magee, it'll be a 35-40 minute commute for some.

Is there a private school nearer to them? Or a public school in another district that might let them enroll? I'm always amazed we didn't have more students in accidents in high school on the commute into and out of school. Certainly wasn't the norm, but had a decent number of people commuting 30+ minutes driving 70+, much of it on two lane roads every day.

ETA: doesn't look like a lot of options. FLorence High school would be ~21 minutes away. Not sure how willing those districts are to accommodate each other, but that would I guess be an improvement.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Funny you should ask that question: The first thing that came to my mind when I heard about it yesterday was that I was thinking that the school district would likely build a new school just off US 49 near Simpson Academy & the Co-Lin Simpson Center.

And that location would be well within 25 miles of Harrisville and the district would likely not have to accommodate Harrisville folks in that instance.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login