Rails to trails

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
Anyone heard any update regarding the conversion of unused railroad track to walking/running/biking trails. Seems like there was mention of this some time ago.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Did not know about this. Would be great for it to happen, along with the West Point to Starkville to Ackerman line. And somehow could connect to Tanglefoot Trail would make for pretty nice destination for bikers and runners.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
The line from Ackerman to Durant (via Kosciusko) has long been abandon. It would be a great trail from West Point to Durant if they were to include the whole thing.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Those bikes are very expensive. People that can afford to do this have disposable income and enjoy the finer things in life.
He isn't wrong, it's just a funny way to phrase things.
People who aren't well off take vacations all the time and spend way more on hobbies than a mid-level bike costs.

Again though, he isn't wrong. When done right, bicycle tourism has been shown to be a very real and sustainable avenue for small town revenue.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Revenue? Where is the revenue coming from. I’ve ridden my bike on Hattiesburg rails for trails often and never paid a dime. And, you don’t need a thousand dollar bike to ride. Walmart bikes work just as well.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Revenue? Where is the revenue coming from. I’ve ridden my bike on Hattiesburg rails for trails often and never paid a dime. And, you don’t need a thousand dollar bike to ride. Walmart bikes work just as well.

Did you pack your own breakfasts, lunches, and dinners or did you eat at a restaurant? Bring all your own water & snacks or did you stop in a convenience store? Sleep in a tent or did you rent a place to stay? Did you bike to and from Hattiesburg or did you drive down with a bike rack on your vehicle? Did you stare at the stars for entertainment or did you go into town?

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Maybe he lives there and ate breakfast before he left ? Football season needs to start so yall can have something else to ***** about.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Holy hell. Like most any activity in life, an individual's experience is not indicitive of everyone's experience.

I was speaking to the idea that the proposed trail would be a destination for people to spend vacation time. This comment was based on what was in the article...did you read the article?
When people vacation, they tend to spend money. Look at the Katy Trail in MO for how small towns in the middle and western part of the trail have added stores, restaurants, and b&bs in an effort to capture business. The River Runner line run by Amtrak gets business from cyclists too since there are 4 or so stops in towns along the trail.

The Mickelson Trail in SD is another where a cycling destination has helped build up smaller town businesses along the trail- shops, camping, restaurants, shuttles, etc all exist in part from trail use.

Rio Grande Trail is very popular and an activity in a destination hot spot, but I admittedly dont know if anything has really been built up due to it.

Locally, there are hundreds of miles of paved trails and multiple bars, breweries, and restaurants are now alongside the trails which otherwise would not exist in those spots. There is also camping along or near the trails that get business from visitors. People actually plan vacation time to ride the trails, so they stay in campgrounds or hotels and visit bars and restaurants in smaller towns.

This is something that has been studied extensively and has data to support the claim.
If you want to geek out further and learn about more examples than the ones above, look up the C&O, the GAP, and the Cowboy Trail.
And this is all just domestic. People fly over to Europe to ride too...many different countries.

As for your bike cost comment, of course someone can ride a rail trail on a walmart bike. That is a given and really isnt the point here.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
The Tammany Trace Trail runs from Mandeville to Covington, LA via Abita Springs. It goes right past the Abita Springs brewery which makes for a most excellent rest stop. Something similar would be of great benefit to that whole area of the state. Also, since there is a large amount of bike traffic on the Natchez Trace find a way to link the two together. The old rail line crosses under the Natchez Trace between the Hwys 12 & 35 exits near Kosciusko.
http://www.tammanytrace.org/

Feb 12, 2013
I just routed this on Strava. One way is close to 96 miles & elevation gain of roughly ~950 meters (3117ft) whether starting in West Point or Greenwood. That has the potential to be a great bike-packing or day-trip route if the towns along the route (Greenwood, Winona, Eupora, West Point, etc) embraced putting attractions on their main street. IMBA has done countless studies on economic impact from trails for small towns/cities and show no negative impacts. MTB/Cyclist spend money in whatever towns they visit.

Feb 12, 2013
Unfortunately it would not, KCS is still holding on to this railroad, even though it is pretty much abandoned.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
Threw my bike in the back of truck, brought water, and went home. If you think this is a money maker, you are mistaken. Maybe you have never visited one.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Just so we are on the same page, the rail line in S'vegas runs under University Drive (near Humble Taco/ Li'l Dooey) all the way to High 12 crossing near the Army Navy Pawn Shop. It could really be developed into something special and be huge for the city/university.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Threw my bike in the back of truck, brought water, and went home. If you think this is a money maker, you are mistaken. Maybe you have never visited one.
I tend to agree, I think most of these are just good things to have for the local and regional communities. If people are going to take big bike trips, they aren't likely coming to the South and/or Mississippi, unless it's for other reasons too. But, they could certainly pass through and spend some money.

Bottom line, it's a good thing to do. If it leads to more tourism, great. Keep taking small steps to make the area better, and they add up over time.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Yes, that is also a common way for converted trails to be utilized. Again, not all people use trails in the same way. Think of it as a park. This is like you arguing that there shouldnt be any docks for water activities at a large park because you only go there to walk in the woods. Well ok thats great to hear you use the park, but others might want to use it in a different way and rent canoes and kayaks or swim or fish.

Perhaps you could read up on examples where converted trails have increased tourism and revenue in small towns? That may inform you more since you currently seem to just think your situation is the only way.

Bars, restaurants, kitschy jewelry shops, B&Bs, hotels, general stores, camp grounds, ice cream shops, etc etc all pop up and/or exist along some converted trails and rely on trail spending. Again, this is not applicable to literally every trail or every user.

https://www.inhf.org/what-we-do/protection/high-trestle-trail/
People genuinely come from outside the state, quite frequently, to ride this trail and all the other connecting trails. Small towns along the trail like Woodward and Madrid have trailside food and drink. Camping is in Woodward and just outside Madrid. Ankeny is continuing to develop trail connectors from two other established trails to improve the infrastructure and be the hub of a massive trail network. They actually pivoted 3 years ago after an extensive trail use survey and appropriated land for two hotels in a different part of town in order to provide easy access from the hotels to the town's trailhead.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
This would be huge. I know a lot of people that like to ride the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Natchez or Jackson. They like to camp while on these treks. Imagine being a destination along such a trail. People are learning the joy of outside activities and employers and insurance companies love having people becoming healthier.

It also attracts active people to communities. Hiking trails and bike paths are becoming the norm for success and growing communities. It helps real estate values as well.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I just routed this on Strava. One way is close to 96 miles & elevation gain of roughly ~950 meters (3117ft) whether starting in West Point or Greenwood. That has the potential to be a great bike-packing or day-trip route if the towns along the route (Greenwood, Winona, Eupora, West Point, etc) embraced putting attractions on their main street. IMBA has done countless studies on economic impact from trails for small towns/cities and show no negative impacts. MTB/Cyclist spend money in whatever towns they visit.

Greenwood has embraced the cycling culture and hosts rides/races, that's with the current mayor/city leadership. The current mayor is holding on by a thread (won by less than 100 votes in 2021), so this may be her last go ahead. Who knows what will happen under different leadership? The events are put on by civic organizations, but I'm sure support from the city plays a big part.

I know Carrollton/N Carrollton doesn't have the money (or interest) to do anything, but the line splits N Carrolton in half, they could really develop some nice places to get biker's money.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Greenwood has embraced the cycling culture and hosts rides/races, that's with the current mayor/city leadership. The current mayor is holding on by a thread (won by less than 100 votes in 2021), so this may be her last go ahead. Who knows what will happen under different leadership? The events are put on by civic organizations, but I'm sure support from the city plays a big part.
I would imagine the priorities would shift considerably.

Feb 12, 2013
I was going to do the 100km Greenwood Gravel Race this year before wrecking and damaging both rims on my gravel bike. I was looking forward to staying in Greenwood for a few days. its good cities like Greenwood are embracing cycling and other outdoor recreational activities.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
This would be huge. I know a lot of people that like to ride the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Natchez or Jackson. They like to camp while on these treks. Imagine being a destination along such a trail. People are learning the joy of outside activities and employers and insurance companies love having people becoming healthier.

It also attracts active people to communities. Hiking trails and bike paths are becoming the norm for success and growing communities. It helps real estate values as well.

Quality of life for those that live here is reason enough to build them. You throw in any addition from tourism, then that's just cream on top for me.

I know the downtown area of New Albany has been helped by the trailhead. Starkville residents could benefit from another activity like this and give it's visitors a little something extra.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I would imagine the priorities would shift considerably.

I'm afraid you're right. Cleveland is, by far, the Jewel of the Delta, but Greenwood is solidly the number two Delta town. When Carolyn leaves office, it is in danger of becoming Greenville.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login