Random Thoughts for the Bye Week.....

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
1. Gripe as some may do, 6-0 is still 6-0. A lot of teams would like to be in this position.

2. I watched the DVR when I got home yesterday and Danielson's question is spot on - "So, who is the 2nd team All American Tight End going to be?"

3. It's a good thing PSU has such a ferocious D-Line and a really good secondary, because this first half of the year, I don't think the LB play has been up to standard.

4. Speaking of D-Line, based on my quick review, PSU could lose up to 10 D-lineman after this year, between early NFL and eligibilty running out.

5. Allar's final TD drive was remiscient of the Kerry Collins 1994 drive against Illinois.

6. Curious as to which Wisky team PSU faces - the one that stumbled in the 2nd half against USC, or the one that ran roughshod over Rutgers.

7. The weakness of OSU is their QB position, which is a rarity for them.

8. I appreciate the hard work and dedication of the internet's best college football coaches in the 2nd half of the USC game - your efforts are commendable.

9. If PSU plays more games like that, my cardiologist is going to be able to afford that new boat he wants.

10. My first visit to the LA Memorial Coliseum. The seats we had were in section 200, which was far from the field, but not entirely bad. I don't think the stadium was initially built with football in mind, even though it is just a couple of blocks to the stadium from campus. It's actually closer to the dorms/classrooms than Beaver Stadium is to dorms/class rooms. The weather was perfect. Using the E Line made transport nice and easy to and from the stadium.

11. My uber driver on Sunday from my hotel to family in Manhattan Beach told me his son played at BYU with Steve Sarkisian. He said the BYU coaches knew that Sark had a drinking problem, but they hid it from the University and public.

FTG

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I am going to add one more.....

12. I don't normally watch GameDay on ESPN. But, because of the time difference and the fact that I wanted to stay on East Coast time for when I returned, I got up early and watched. Nick Saban is a serious, knowledgeable football coach. Pat McAfee is an effing clown show. Several times during the show, Saban would start to discuss something, and McAfee would interrupt with one of his clown acts, to the point where, looking at Saban, I got the impression he was not happy with a) being interrupted and b) having to deal with the goofball on the set with him. One of our travel group made a comment that he would not be surprised if Saban does not come back for the following year.

I get that McAfee is popular with a segment of the viewing public, but damn....even I wanted to reach through the TV and smack him upside his head. It's just too over the top.

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
1. Gripe as some may do, 6-0 is still 6-0. A lot of teams would like to be in this position.

2. I watched the DVR when I got home yesterday and Danielson's question is spot on - "So, who is the 2nd team All American Tight End going to be?"

3. It's a good thing PSU has such a ferocious D-Line and a really good secondary, because this first half of the year, I don't think the LB play has been up to standard.

4. Speaking of D-Line, based on my quick review, PSU could lose up to 10 D-lineman after this year, between early NFL and eligibilty running out.

5. Allar's final TD drive was remiscient of the Kerry Collins 1994 drive against Illinois.

6. Curious as to which Wisky team PSU faces - the one that stumbled in the 2nd half against USC, or the one that ran roughshod over Rutgers.

8. I appreciate the hard work and dedication of the internet's best college football coaches in the 2nd half of the USC game - your efforts are commendable.

9. If PSU plays more games like that, my cardiologist is going to be able to afford that new boat he wants.

10. My first visit to the LA Memorial Coliseum. The seats we had were in section 200, which was far from the field, but not entirely bad. I don't think the stadium was initially built with football in mind, even though it is just a couple of blocks to the stadium from campus. It's actually closer to the dorms/classrooms than Beaver Stadium is to dorms/class rooms. The weather was perfect. Using the E Line made transport nice and easy to and from the stadium.

11. My uber driver on Sunday from my hotel to family in Manhattan Beach told me his son played at BYU with Steve Sarkisian. He said the BYU coaches knew that Sark had a drinking problem, but they hid it from the University and public.

FTG
8. I agree. The rest, not so much ;)

Good summary.

You left out your prediction. I got BYE by 1 this week.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
surprised pulp fiction GIF

One more.

13. This victory reinstated James Franklin's LA Privileges.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

FTG
Regarding the LB, Rojas has basically played with one arm the past few games as one shoulder is in a brace. King has been a stud at times but average at others. Losing the depth of Keys was huge. Also, losing KJ to injury has taken Jaylen Reed out of his Lion (hybrid S/LB) position because safety is young and thin position. IMO, if KJ was still healthy, we wouldn't be talking about LB.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021

FTG

After watching it again, I agree with much of that. The team and Franklin should be given full credit for fighting back on the road to pull out a big win. It looked shaky early on, but they did what was needed to grind out the W.

USC was the best team they’ve faced so far. The concerns of many were that the slow starts and waiting until halftime for adjustments would come back to haunt the team against better competition. It almost did on Saturday. It will kill them against Ohio State if they don’t find a way to solve it in the next 2 weeks.

I think it was a bit of a turning point for Allar. He seemed to take control more than last year especially on the late TD drive with 2 huge 4th down conversions. The receivers really stepped up on that drive as well. Hopefully that continues as Warren can only do so much. He was incredible on Saturday.

The D gave up too many big plays and really needs to tighten up for Ohio St.

The FG kicking issue appears solved. It was nice to see him kick so well under pressure on the road and get the game winner.

It will be interesting to see which Wisconsin team shows up in 2 weeks. It’s a bit of a trap game with OSU on deck if the team isn’t careful. It could be a bad few weeks to be a cardiologist in PA. ;)

Reactions: bbrown

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Beating USC gives PSU much needed breathing room with OSU and Wisconsin still looming. I think 10-2 gets you into the playoffs, and that should be the focus.

Steve JG

Mar 25, 2024
After watching it again, I agree with much of that. The team and Franklin should be given full credit for fighting back on the road to pull out a big win. It looked shaky early on, but they did what was needed to grind out the W.

USC was the best team they’ve faced so far. The concerns of many were that the slow starts and waiting until halftime for adjustments would come back to haunt the team against better competition. It almost did on Saturday. It will kill them against Ohio State if they don’t find a way to solve it in the next 2 weeks.

I think it was a bit of a turning point for Allar. He seemed to take control more than last year especially on the late TD drive with 2 huge 4th down conversions. The receivers really stepped up on that drive as well. Hopefully that continues as Warren can only do so much. He was incredible on Saturday.

The D gave up too many big plays and really needs to tighten up for Ohio St.

The FG kicking issue appears solved. It was nice to see him kick so well under pressure on the road and get the game winner.

It will be interesting to see which Wisconsin team shows up in 2 weeks. It’s a bit of a trap game with OSU on deck if the team isn’t careful. It could be a bad few weeks to be a cardiologist in PA. ;)
I think the bye makes Wisco a little less of a trap game. Players will have had chance to revel and calm down from win and have whole other week of practice

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
Beating USC gives PSU much needed breathing room with OSU and Wisconsin still looming. I think 10-2 gets you into the playoffs, and that should be the focus.
Need the Wisconsin win and need to do it staying healthy. In a perfect world, we get the OSU win as well and start them on a bit of a downward spiral. Oregon showed you how to do it, so it can be done. I don't know that we have exactly the personnel that Oregon has, but at home and feeling confident, we should be harder to knock off.

I disagree with the poster who said the OSU QB is their weakness; I think their weakness is their general lack of having played together when matched up against equally good teams. That is one of the downsides of the portal and NIL. As the season goes on, they may pass the "eye test," so beat them now and put them hopefully at risk of being left out.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
The night start and national broadcast should help PS from being flat against Wisconsin. Downside is the short week (late night travel home) for the OSU game.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Can OSU trip up against one of Nebraska, Indiana, PS and Michigan? 10-2 may not get them to BIG championship.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021

12. I don't normally watch GameDay on ESPN. But, because of the time difference and the fact that I wanted to stay on East Coast time for when I returned, I got up early and watched. Nick Saban is a serious, knowledgeable football coach. Pat McAfee is an effing clown show. Several times during the show, Saban would start to discuss something, and McAfee would interrupt with one of his clown acts, to the point where, looking at Saban, I got the impression he was not happy with a) being interrupted and b) having to deal with the goofball on the set with him. One of our travel group made a comment that he would not be surprised if Saban does not come back for the following year.

I get that McAfee is popular with a segment of the viewing public, but damn....even I wanted to reach through the TV and smack him upside his head. It's just too over the top.
I've yet to watch Gameday this season and really want to hear what Saban has to say. Your description of the interplay with him and McAfee is exactly how I pictured the dynamic to be.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021

McAfee is an a$$, Saban is so out of place on that program it's not even funny. Everyone but him is some clown act that fake football fans think is entertaining.
This is my first year in about 30 of not traveling to games so I've actually tried to watch their pregame and had no idea how far off the cliff it's gone.
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Reactions: Nits74

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
I’m looking at this week’s schedule and wondering/hoping/wishful thinking that maybe, just maybe, Purdue can use some of that nighttime Ross-Ade magic Friday night and take down the tired Ducks on a short week traveling across three time zones and coming off their Buckeye high? Remember how wonderful it was watching them dismantle the Buckeyes a few years ago?

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Regarding the LB, Rojas has basically played with one arm the past few games as one shoulder is in a brace. King has been a stud at times but average at others. Losing the depth of Keys was huge. Also, losing KJ to injury has taken Jaylen Reed out of his Lion (hybrid S/LB) position because safety is young and thin position. IMO, if KJ was still healthy, we wouldn't be talking about LB.
+1. I think Rojas has been hurt since Bowling Green and it might have happened at WVU. Kobe King has been good and not so good. I think he was more consistently good last year. I've been somewhat critical of Allen (mostly kept those thoughts to myself) but he has been dealing with a mash unit and then departures and suspensions.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

PSUQbKeeper

Oct 12, 2021
I’m looking at this week’s schedule and wondering/hoping/wishful thinking that maybe, just maybe, Purdue can use some of that nighttime Ross-Ade magic Friday night and take down the tired Ducks on a short week traveling across three time zones and coming off their Buckeye high? Remember how wonderful it was watching them dismantle the Buckeyes a few years ago?
that would be the craziest thing ever....so it'll probably happen :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: nittanymoops

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
that would be the craziest thing ever....so it'll probably happen :ROFLMAO:
Well, I think Vandy trademarked crazy upsetting Bama the week after the Tide beat UGa, but this would be right up there. Short week ... three time zones ... maybe Purdue will do a "Blackout" that's actually effective, unlike the Twerps.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
McAfee is an a$$, Saban is so out of place on that program it's not even funny. Everyone but him is some clown act that fake football fans think is entertaining.
This is my first year in about 30 of not traveling to games so I've actually tried to watch their pregame and had no idea how far off the cliff it's gone.
Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN
The Simpsons Reaction GIF

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

I think you’ve been drinking the Ross-Ade.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU87

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login