Rapid PCR Test?

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
Anybody know where to get one for travel in N Ms or close? Know it’s a holiday weekend but heard some places do them on site in a couple hours. Thanks in advance.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Anybody know where to get one for travel in N Ms or close? Know it’s a holiday weekend but heard some places do them on site in a couple hours. Thanks in advance.

Check with your local Walgreens. Some of them do it. I had to get one for travel back in August. I had already been on the road for a week when I had to get it to get on a boat. I had got a regular on earlier in the trip but the results were not in the day prior to boarding a boat. We spent the entire afternoon the day before I absolutely had to have results trying to get one. The entire region where I was was booked up, and their surge then wasn't anything near as bad as ours right now. Luckily my results came in about 6 hours prior to the drop dead deadline for what I was doing.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
CVS does them in some places too. There is a community health center near here that does them, no need to ask where. I happened to drive by their clinic this afternoon. They were doing drive through testing and there was minor traffic jam getting into it. I think some Kroger and Wal Mart locations do it too. Check online.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I don’t know what it’s like where you are, but getting any kind of Covid test around here is a several day proposition. Binax instant tests are all gone, getting in to a clinic is several days. Try your primary care if you have one. Even then, labs have to be completely overwhelmed.
Good luck.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Walgreens drive thrus in my state offer free rapid testing. Is that not a thing everywhere? You have to sign up 2 days ahead though.
I got one a couple days ago at some random private urgent care clinic. It cost $60, but I grabbed an immediate appt and had results in 20min.

I haven't seen personal use tests at any Walgreens in my metro or in the Chicagoland area(10 store were called last week).

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
You can get a rapid test just about anywhere. But PCRs have typically required an overnight turnaround. But I know some hospitals are running short and are starting to do their PCRs thru a send off lab which takes 48 plus hours.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
There are no antigen home tests to be found anywhere. We have some that we bought back in the fall when my kids had Covid.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
The CDC is going to stop making their version of the test. It will not affect other companies rapid PCR tests.

PCR tests will continue to be the gold standard. The common antigen tests hit accurate at about 80% of the time (about 70% in asymptomatic if done correctly). Several antigen rapid tests say omicron did not change their detection rates. Some PCR tests may be slightly worse at detecting omicron depending on their primer target design.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
The CDC is going to stop making their version of the test. It will not affect other companies rapid PCR tests.

PCR tests will continue to be the gold standard. The common antigen tests hit accurate at about 80% of the time (about 70% in asymptomatic if done correctly). Several antigen rapid tests say omicron did not change their detection rates. Some PCR tests may be slightly worse at detecting omicron depending on their primer target design.

Bill gates & George soros recently bought into a covid test company. Since the fda is discontinuing the current pcr test 12/31...and the the White House just bought 500 million tests I haven’t had the time to research but I’d be willing to bet they are from their new company. Here’s one link- https://www.worldtribune.com/big-deal-gates-soros-group-acquires-for-profit-covid-testing-firm/

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
I can’t speak to that & I don’t want this conversation to spiral. But there are 268 different COVID diagnostic tests that have received an EUA from the FDA. It looks like there are over 100 different rapid PCR assays for COVID. The CDC’s version is being discontinued, but there will still be numerous other options if you can find a provider.

Delta_dawg

Jul 15, 2021
I got one at an express care today. Results took about an hour. Waited 2 hours in line. Crazy how many people there. Needed it to get a new type of travel insurance. They will fly you home on a private medical jet just for testing positive and having one self reported symptom instead of having to quarantine in a foreign country. Called Covac Global. Anybody traveling internationally should look into it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login