RE: PC - Rosebowl Says

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We thought Sliva was a done deal, but no longer and Walton is not a candidate. He says someone still playing is a a target, but it's not Muscara. If it is someone still playing there will have to be some type of announcement this week.

The guy at USCe (Parker) is a candidate.

Expect a Bulldog Initiative announcement from Dakota Johnson.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Parker would be a huge win but the issue is portal pitchers and even those not in the portal are and have been recruited for the last 2-3 weeks. We haven’t even been able to tell anyone who our PC is

Will Dakota Johnson star in “50 shades of Maroon- a Pantone Problem”

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Ok, other than Muscara, we have Frank Anderson (TN), Drew Dickinson (UVA), Wes Davis (Oral), Kirk Saaloos HC/PC (TCU), David Kopp (UF), and Thomas Eager (Stan) still playing. Wonder which one is our target.

Last edited:

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
This is not going to play out well. Last year at this time we already had three pitchers out of the portal. This season we so far have no PC and a D2 guy.

Lem was unable to move the needle just one year removed from a NC. Why makes any sane, logical person think he can do it two years removed?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Parker would be a huge win but the issue is portal pitchers and even those not in the portal are and have been recruited for the last 2-3 weeks. We haven’t even been able to tell anyone who our PC is
Did his time at Indiania line up with Lem?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Whoever they get, they will probably have the best and most secured contract for any assistant baseball coach in Mississippi State history.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

I'm not sure what Charlie is up to with the Bulldog Initiative, but I like the direction he's heading and I am seriously about to increase my donations.

dakota-johnson-revealed-how-they-film-sex-scenes--2-23508-1518540723-6_dblbig.jpg

Last edited:

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Correct, I thought all along the timing was terrible. Firing a coach with just a few weeks left looks cheesy.
I really don't think it made a hill of beans difference. He would have been fired 2 weeks later regardless. I'm much more concerned about who the replacement is going to be.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We thought Sliva was a done deal, but no longer and Walton is not a candidate. He says someone still playing is a a target, but it's not Muscara. If it is someone still playing there will have to be some type of announcement this week.

The guy at USCe (Parker) is a candidate.

Came here fully expecting a politically correct take of some sort. Pitching coach might be a more painful conversation than that!

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

I think its already been well-established from last year that you can’t just rebuild a pitching staff (or a team in general) through the portal. Whoever the new pitching coach is, he’s going to have to get 95% of the productive innings from guys who are either already here or recruits who will be here in the fall.

There is no Paul Skenes out there right now. And even if there was, he wouldn’t save us. Just like the real Paul Skenes wouldn’t have saved us this year.

So, while I hope we get a portal guy or two that can help us, its more important that we get the hire right. If we have to wait a bit to do that because of teams already playing or extended negotiations or whatever other reason, then so be it.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Should not have interfered and fired Foxhall. Just let Lemonis ride or die with his guys.
You've lost your ever loving mind. You are actually saying we should have kept the pitching coach responsible for this disaster of a team the last two seasons for another season? Hell to da naw naw, he should have been fired after last years disaster but you were satisfied with him this year and say he should have been kept another? You're just trolling now.......

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think its already been well-established from last year that you can’t just rebuild a pitching staff (or a team in general) through the portal. Whoever the new pitching coach is, he’s going to have to get 95% of the productive innings from guys who are either already here or recruits who will be here in the fall.

There is no Paul Skenes out there right now. And even if there was, he wouldn’t save us. Just like the real Paul Skenes wouldn’t have saved us this year.

So, while I hope we get a portal guy or two that can help us, its more important that we get the hire right. If we have to wait a bit to do that because of teams already playing or extended negotiations or whatever other reason, then so be it.
Totally agree on the portal but we just don’t have a ton of arms so we need more for him to have a chance with. Outside of Cade last year the only guys with the most chance to get outs were our portal guys. But i realize thats probably bc they had been coached at some point.

But if Cade doesn’t come back we are building an entire weekend staff with no known commodities.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
dave matthews singing GIF by Farm Aid

way class GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Yeah. And we're going to be fine next year. Cijntje, Loftin, Siary, Tapper, Gibbs, Forsythe all a year older. Dohm back, Nate Williams. Then Auger and Simmons back.

I'm laughing at all this gnashing of teeth. Most fans are just mad and want to cut up about Lemonis.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Yeah. And we're going to be fine next year. Cijntje, Loftin, Siary, Tapper, Gibbs, Forsythe all a year older. Dohm back, Nate Williams. Then Auger and Simmons back.

I'm laughing at all this gnashing of teeth. Most fans are just mad and want to cut up about Lemonis.
But those are just names. None of those guys accomplished anything this year except Dohm giving us maybe an inning or two a weekend. And someone is going to get hurt. And two are coming back from TJ. If my job were on the line I’d want to hammer the portal.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
But those are just names. None of those guys accomplished anything this year except Dohm giving us maybe an inning or two a weekend. And someone is going to get hurt. And two are coming back from TJ. If my job were on the line I’d want to hammer the portal.
This idea that we always have a ton of returning 'SEC weekend starters' is bunk. That's a luxury like 10% of teams have. Kids grow up and develop. And if Foxhall was truly this big 'problem' as so many say, then pretty much anyone should be an improvement.

But yeah, nothing wrong with hammering the portal. We have the roster place now. Just don't bet it all there and expect a miracle.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You've lost your ever loving mind. You are actually saying we should have kept the pitching coach responsible for this disaster of a team the last two seasons for another season? Hell to da naw naw, he should have been fired after last years disaster but you were satisfied with him this year and say he should have been kept another? You're just trolling now.......
Goat's just being Goat. The real liability in hiring a pitching coach is a lame duck head coach.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
If Lemonis sticks with his current pitchers and incoming class with his 5th or 6th choice of pitching coach, he is a dead man walking. He better work some magic fast. We were 252nd out of 295 teams in team ERA this season. Even with improvement, you are not even halfway there, especially competing against SEC programs who ARE going to sign proven hitting talent. Our best bet is to sign a pitching coach who is ready to run a program because they will be thrown into it sometime next season.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
If Lemonis sticks with his current pitchers and incoming class with his 5th or 6th choice of pitching coach, he is a dead man walking. He better work some magic fast. We were 252nd out of 295 teams in team ERA this season. Even with improvement, you are not even halfway there, especially competing against SEC programs who ARE going to sign proven hitting talent. Our best bet is to sign a pitching coach who is ready to run a program because they will be thrown into it sometime next season.
My only correction is that you can replace If with When

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Uh, had we gotten Skeens, we'd been a solid tourney team and possibly hosting.

We had an ERA in league play of nearly 10. Double 17ing digit ERA for the entire staff. Skenes couldn’t throw every inning for us. He’d be good to reduce that number by maybe 1-1.5, but we’d still have been awful and still would have had the worst staff in the league even with him.

Would we have won 2-3 more? Sure. But getting on the bubble would have been the absolute ceiling. No way you can say just one player, at any position, would have made us a solid tourney team. And its all moot anyway, because there is no Skenes out there in the portal this year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It might a lure for elite pitching coaches if AD presents it as a "HC in waiting".
Problem with that is, the pitching coach has to do a good enough job to be sure he gets the head coaching job after all. But has to do a bad enough job to be sure the current coach actually gets fired. It's a very fine line. In the real world, "head coach in waiting" is a terrible idea unless you've got a long-time head coach & top assistant and the head coach is going to retire in the next year or two.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Correct, I thought all along the timing was terrible. Firing a coach with just a few weeks left looks cheesy.
For most programs, it would give them 3 extra weeks to get the word out and find someone, make calls to agents, coaches you trust to find candidates. Trouble is, thats the trouble, they are working somewhere and aren't willing to take the chance to come here for 1 miserable year. Anybody available is either fired, old and washed up, still playing (why leave a tourney/CWS team for us?) or young and looking to move up from Millsaps or Belhaven. As for cheesy, the fired coach looked much cheasier with his and his staffs performance the last 2 seasons than the perception of him getting the heave 3 weeks early. Anybody that looks at facts and stats can see that

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login