RE: PC - Rosebowl Says

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Are we looking to hire somebody as a "coach in waiting" type, or at least pitching it as that (pun intended)? I ask, because that is the only way I could see this job as being somewhat enticing to somebody worth any weight coming into our situation.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Are we looking to hire somebody as a "coach in waiting" type, or at least pitching it as that (pun intended)? I ask, because that is the only way I could see this job as being somewhat enticing to somebody worth any weight coming into our situation.
No. That's just a message board fantasy. It would also be tantamount to the Athletic Director admitting he should have fired the coach a month ago.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Problem with that is, the pitching coach has to do a good enough job to be sure he gets the head coaching job after all. But has to do a bad enough job to be sure the current coach actually gets fired. It's a very fine line. In the real world, "head coach in waiting" is a terrible idea unless you've got a long-time head coach & top assistant and the head coach is going to retire in the next year or two.
For the most part, I agree. I guess I'm giving some benefit of the doubt to our AD because it is the only way any of it makes sense to me.

I am assuming someone with money wants to give Lemonis another year to either succeed or reduce buyout. Also, that AD forced change at PC because it was the most glaring issue. I'm hopeful that if pitching is much improved next year but hitting and fielding still sucks (which I fully expect), then we are looking for a new HC even if improved pitching gets us to post season.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's starting to sound like the AD did not have a choice but keep Lemonis because of the money and the candidates available. I know most will yell no way. It does sound a bit off the wall, but occasionally you have to make an unpopular decision because of the overall situation. I don't know how we stand with our overall money situation.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
While I won’t argue that with Skenes we would have a few more wins, he did average 6.1 IP. Which means our bullpen would have 2.2 to blow it.
Skenes is 12-2 this year. If he gave us 5 or 6 more conference wins, we'd be on the brink of 500 in league. Additionally he'd save more arms for later in weekend and his leadership and energy would likely spread to his teammates.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's starting to sound like the AD did not have a choice but keep Lemonis because of the money and the candidates available. I know most will yell no way. It does sound a bit off the wall, but occasionally you have to make an unpopular decision because of the overall situation. I don't know how we stand with our overall money situation.
Plethora of reasons, besides the money and timing, like you say.

1, we aren't that far off;
2, Lemonis did win us our first national title;
3, solid class of upcoming sophomores, with better recruits right behind them;

And I will say that Selmon could have made things easier on himself next year if he'd told the boosters to stand down and not force Lemonis to fire Foxhall. Let them ride together, they took us to the top together, they tore us down together, along with GoTro. That's the only real mistake that was made. I understand that's not how sh*t works in the real world, somebody had to take the grenade.

I do think Lemonis will save his job next year, for a while. He'll do what's necessary to get us hosting, like Cohen did in 2016 (remember, Butch wasn't so highly thought of after 2015 either). But long term, it's going to be a long slow downward trajectory into Polk 2 territory, I'm afraid. I'm just not real sure his approach is up to the task at Mississippi State. Crazy that we have to fork out all this NIL to keep our own damn players. We need more Mangums.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah. And we're going to be fine next year. Cijntje, Loftin, Siary, Tapper, Gibbs, Forsythe all a year older. Dohm back, Nate Williams. Then Auger and Simmons back.

I'm laughing at all this gnashing of teeth. Most fans are just mad and want to cut up about Lemonis.
Older versions of players from a coach who has shown zero signs of developing players over a 3-5 year plan. Terrific

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

This is correct, had we gotten one stud pitcher last off season this season would have been wildly different. It's the Jimmies and Joes. When Fox had Bednar and Sims, he was considered one of the best PCs.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

disagree - there is no metric that says we are good (P/H (decent)/F) or will be and very few players have gotten better under Lemon

2, Lemonis did win us our first national title;
Ok? It’s ok to have a down year following it like (34-22), but no, he **** the bed not one year but 2 years in a row

he got paid handsomely for winning it too
3, solid class of upcoming sophomores, with better recruits right behind them;

not as important anymore unless they can play right away
And I will say that Selmon could have made things easier on himself next year if he'd told the boosters to stand down and not force Lemonis to fire Foxhall. Let them ride together, they took us to the top together, they tore us down together, along with GoTro. That's the only real mistake that was made. I understand that's not how sh*t works in the real world, somebody had to take the grenade.

agree - it screamed desperation and raises red flags - could have let Fox finish season and then put out statement that he left to pursue other opportunities
I do think Lemonis will save his job next year, for a while. He'll do what's necessary to get us hosting, like Cohen did in 2016 (remember, Butch wasn't so highly thought of after 2015 either). But long term, it's going to be a long slow downward trajectory into Polk 2 territory, I'm afraid. I'm just not real sure his approach is up to the task at Mississippi State. Crazy that we have to fork out all this NIL to keep our own damn players. We need more Mangums.
I don’t think he will - he was a mediocre coach in the B1G and is now in the meat grinder that is the SEC

he got handed talented dirtbags and was rewarded - only dirtbag I see now is Mershon

Reactions: josebrown

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not even close.
This was easy: Linkity links:

All of that shows a trend pat, and that's that you really aren't great at projecting MSU baseball or baseball coaches.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Good to see everyone in this thread is on the same page****

I’d welcome any news at this point. It’s hard to know what to think when there hasn’t been a peep from anyone. I’ll hold my judgement until they announce the hire. Then I’ll get my ashes and sackcloth with the rest of you.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This was easy: Linkity links:

All of that shows a trend pat, and that's that you really aren't great at projecting MSU baseball or baseball coaches.
Damn. That’s a pretty weak attempt. Nowhere in there did I say we were anywhere near a terrible as we’ve been the last 2 years.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Damn. That’s a pretty weak attempt. Nowhere in there did I say we were anywhere near a terrible as we’ve been the last 2 years.
If anyone has a known terrible track record of predicting coaches is GOAT. Not sure why he post here other than to always take a different side just to troll because he hasn't shown the ability to really know anything about sports or end up being on the right side of an argument about a coach

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If anyone has a known terrible track record of predicting coaches is GOAT. Not sure why he post here other than to always take a different side just to troll because he hasn't shown the ability to really know anything about sports or end up being on the right side of an argument about a coach
Yes. Unlike most folks, I could give a rip if I am right about all the reasons why we kept the coach. Whatever happens next year, we will find out quickly if we made a bad decision next spring.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
agree - it screamed desperation and raises red flags - could have let Fox finish season and then put out statement that he left to pursue other opportunities
My goodness, we are desperate! There are MANY red flags! That should be pretty obvious at this point. Foxhall HAD to go and nobody was going to believe at the end of the season he was leaving to 'pursue other opportunities'. What a joke. Our pitching staff this year was the laughing stock of the SEC and pretty much of the entire Power 5. We went from a really bad pitching staff last year to a unbelievably bad pitching staff this year. You folks nitpicking the exact timing of when Foxhall was let go really have your focus in the wrong place. I could give a rip about the optics around Foxhall leaving as long as he left. Our entire focus should be on can we find someone that can get our pitching staff back to respectability? If not, we are in for another year of not even making Hoover next year with no turnaround in sight.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Goat is awesome when you agree with him, he's a troll when he disagrees. Got it.

Maybe you practice.....intolerance? It's called independent thought.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This is correct, had we gotten one stud pitcher last off season this season would have been wildly different. It's the Jimmies and Joes. When Fox had Bednar and Sims, he was considered one of the best PCs.

And if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its arse every time it jumps but it doesn't have them and we are what we are because of it.

Besides, this is not correct. 1 pitcher pitching an avg of 6 innings a week would not have been "wildly different" with bumbling defense behind him and our hitting wouldn't have been any better. Might have made a few games different but not huge. And how many "stud" pitchers are available anyway each year? That's a pipe dream

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login