Re: Sean Miller

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Re: Sean Miller

Steve has said that he’s definitely a candidate and we’re reaching out. Good move Cohen, let’s be Auburn’s new competitor in hoops.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So, from just a little research, I see that Sean Miller coached at Xavier and Zona, two pretty good basketball schools, with Zona obviously being one of the elite 'haves'. This guy Miller didn't get either to the Final Four. Then I hear he has baggage, of course I don't even know what that means.

Tell me again why this would be different than Ben Howland? If he can't get it done at those two, how will he get it done at State? How do we know it wasn't more of the school than the coach? Both factor into the equation.

Second question - is there any niche in basketball where we could do something different? Something akin to the Air Raid or triple option in football? To me this is the area we need to be looking.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
So, from just a little research, I see that Sean Miller coached at Xavier and Zona, two pretty good basketball schools, with Zona obviously being one of the elite 'haves'. This guy Miller didn't get either to the Final Four. Then I hear he has baggage, of course I don't even know what that means.

Tell me again why this would be different than Ben Howland? If he can't get it done at those two, how will he get it done at State?
What are we asking to get done? I'm not expecting a national championship.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
What are we asking to get done? I'm not expecting a national championship.
Understand but I do think a mainstay in the NCAAs is the goal. Howland wasn't even able to do that. Stansbury didn't do it enough. Fans, right or wrong, weren't happy with those guys.

I do think we need to shoot higher, especially with what's happening at Auburn. If we're going to spend money on the Hump, we need to go big. Bruce Pearl is different in that way, as he built a program at Tennessee, who was nobody before him.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
It would be a really similar hire to Howland, but hoping for better results

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Definition of insanity and all. I do think Cohen understands overall that you have to do things different at MSU. Take football for example, while I think we should have promoted from within in 2017, I have no problems with his general line of thinking that got us Slophead and ultimately Leach (i.e. system offense). Then he understood that in baseball, we were an attractive program so going with the super recruiter was the better play. That would never work in football.

What is the play for basketball? You tell me, I really don't know.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
It actually wouldn’t at all. It would be more comparable to Auburn and Pearl if anything.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Interesting fact about Bruce Pearl. He was on the Boston College team that had a few players busted for point shaving back in the late 1970s.

Death Rattle

Aug 22, 2012
Isn’t Sean Miller’s offensive philosophy pretty similar if not the same as Howland’s? If true, I’d rather find a more exciting and modern approach.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
We are spending $$ on the Hump because we have to look like we are trying. If the rest of the SEC wasn't already doing this - I don't think we would either.

The only place we lead is in baseball as far as facilities.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Interesting fact about Bruce Pearl. He was on the Boston College team that had a few players busted for point shaving back in the late 1970s.

He didnt play college basketball. I get what you are saying, but it would have been tough for him to shave points from his spot behind the bench.

OliveBranchDAWG

Aug 22, 2012

Tell me again why this would be different than Ben Howland? If he can't get it done at those two, how will he get it done at State? How do we know it wasn't more of the school than the coach? Both factor into the equation.

Second question - is there any niche in basketball where we could do something different? Something akin to the Air Raid or triple option in football? To me this is the area we need to be looking.

Sean Miller has a career record of 422-156 ( .730 winning %) is a proven recruiter, and made the NCAAT 11 times in 16 seasons. Mississippi State has been to the NCAAT once since 2009 and you’re worried he may not “get it done” at State and comparing him to Howland? Who do you prefer? Get a grip on reality, our program would be lucky as hell to land Sean Miller - we deserve much worse.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I didn’t say he shaved points. I said he was on the team. Just an interesting fact.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We are spending $$ on the Hump because we have to look like we are trying. If the rest of the SEC wasn't already doing this - I don't think we would either.

The only place we lead is in baseball as far as facilities.

Tennis and Softball are up there too.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Sean Miller has a career record of 422-156 ( .730 winning %) is a proven recruiter, and made the NCAAT 11 times in 16 seasons. Mississippi State has been to the NCAAT once since 2009 and you’re worried he may not “get it done” at State and comparing him to Howland? Who do you prefer? Get a grip on reality, our program would be lucky as hell to land Sean Miller - we deserve much worse.

A lot of people don't want to hear the truth.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I prefer the best guy we can get.

And I don’t take the 1783 different opinions I read on sixpack as “expert”.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Oh so you want to play? Ben Howland had a career record of 401-206 (0.661 winning %), is a proven recruiter, and made the NCAAT 10 times in 19 seasons. Then you add in 1 Runner-Up and 3 Final Fours. 5 of his first seasons were at Northern Arizona, rather than Pitt (which is about the equivalent to Xavier). In other words, he got a better head start.

Their conference winning percentage over their time at Pac-12 blueblood programs is nearly identical. I can't think of a more equal comparison.

Howland was also 6-5 vs. Miller across 4 seasons, head to head.

Who here doesn't want to see reality and facts?

Last edited:

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Surely he has better opportunities than MSU?

NBA or NCAA. Hiring him would be a home run for us.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Coaches deserve second chances, especially coaches that will come here and win. I don't care what he does as long as he doesn't get caught. I don't want someone totally immoral but college sports isn't about ethics. I like when we win. I like it better than losing and not making the NCAA tournament.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Coaches deserve second chances, especially coaches that will come here and win. I don't care what he does as long as he doesn't get caught. I don't want someone totally immoral but college sports isn't about ethics. I like when we win. I like it better than losing and not making the NCAA tournament.

Hugh Freeze for you on line 2

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Sean Miller = Howland 2.0

I'm willing to bet not one state fan has done any research on his system or style of play or even gone online and watched old games. He runs an almost identical offense as Howland and plays man-to-man defense 99 percent of the time. If ya'll loved the forced entry passes without any motion on perimeter and a forced 3 after dribbling for 10 seconds then Miller is your guy.

His recruiting classes at Arizona ranked according to 24/7

2010 (247 didn't start this early but he had 6 top 100 players, 2 future NBA
2011 ... 4
2012 ... 3
2013 ... 11
2014 ... 3
2015 ... 3
2016 ... 9
2017 ... 3
2018 ... 22
2019 ...6

He's not going to be pulling classes like that to State.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Actually he adjusted his offensive style to be more fast paced in his last two seasons. Actually used some of the same sets as FIBA teams, Steve Kerr and the Warriors. I’d be willing to bet you didn’t do any research or watched recent games.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

I'm willing to bet not one state fan has done any research on his system or style of play or even gone online and watched old games. He runs an almost identical offense as Howland and plays man-to-man defense 99 percent of the time. If ya'll loved the forced entry passes without any motion on perimeter and a forced 3 after dribbling for 10 seconds then Miller is your guy.

2011 ... 4
2012 ... 3
2013 ... 11
2014 ... 3
2015 ... 3
2016 ... 9
2017 ... 3
2018 ... 22
2019 ...6

Wrong.

I will say this for Miller- even if he runs the same offense as Howland, if he can develop players differently, manage lineups differently, and recruit at the same level but different players- then he could be wildly successful at MSU.

Taking better care of the ball and making outside shots are things that can improve, even if the same system were to stay in place.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

2011 ... 4
2012 ... 3
2013 ... 11
2014 ... 3
2015 ... 3
2016 ... 9
2017 ... 3
2018 ... 22
2019 ...6

Yep.

But I will say…..and Bo Bounds convinced me of this…..continuing what Howland has done might not be just overly terrible. Just a few tweaks here and there and bam, maybe we are back.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

You can either get the up and coming guy or get the veteran who is a proven winner. Howland was obviously a proven winner that never could get us over the hump of a mediocre team. But given the option between up and comer and veteran, I’m always taking the veteran, like Howland. Despite the results not being as good as we all hoped, it’s the best path to choose.

patdog

May 28, 2007
After further reflection re Sean Miller, I'm starting to see some of the Howland 2.0 comparisons. Just like there were clues in Howland's last 5 seasons at UCLA that he was past his peak as a coach, there are some clues in Miller's record too. His last 3 seasons at Arizona were his worst since his first season back in 2009-2010. 8-10, 10-8, 11-9 conference records at Arizona is pretty mediocre.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Those years were when the NCAA and FBI were investigating. Surely it was a major distraction. Arizona is currently ranked #3 in the country with the players Miller recruited. He’s also 12 years younger than Howland so it’s not like he would be coasting toward retirement like Howland is.

GulfportDawg

Sep 3, 2017

2011 ... 4
2012 ... 3
2013 ... 11
2014 ... 3
2015 ... 3
2016 ... 9
2017 ... 3
2018 ... 22
2019 ...6

There’s some pushback to this, but it’s a fair point. Since Miller’s name came up I’ve been doing some digging to learn a bit more on him as a coach. And the consensus from Arizona fans has been that he was a great recruiter but lacked elsewhere. A lot of talk about running a stagnant offense that isn’t suited for the modern game, a lack of adjustments, and being overly reliant on talent. And their new coach has come in and gotten better results from Miller’s recruits by modernizing things. Now I totally get that there’s always gonna be a level of negative bias about former coaches who left on poor terms when it comes to fans. But I can’t help but think that sounds a lot like Howland. I don’t care about the NCAA stuff at all. I just want us to win. But the idea of just going with a younger version of what we have now gives me some pause, especially because I doubt he can recruit well enough here to where talent level alone improves us. You’re going to have to coach guys up and ideally play to the modern game. Let me be clear that I don’t think it’d be a bad hire. I can get on board with it. I just don’t know if it’s as slam dunk as it’d be perceived. It may be better to find someone who takes a newer approach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login