Re: Sean Miller

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
It's a valid concern

There’s some pushback to this, but it’s a fair point. Since Miller’s name came up I’ve been doing some digging to learn a bit more on him as a coach. And the consensus from Arizona fans has been that he was a great recruiter but lacked elsewhere. A lot of talk about running a stagnant offense that isn’t suited for the modern game, a lack of adjustments, and being overly reliant on talent. And their new coach has come in and gotten better results from Miller’s recruits by modernizing things. Now I totally get that there’s always gonna be a level of negative bias about former coaches who left on poor terms when it comes to fans. But I can’t help but think that sounds a lot like Howland. I don’t care about the NCAA stuff at all. I just want us to win. But the idea of just going with a younger version of what we have now gives me some pause, especially because I doubt he can recruit well enough here to where talent level alone improves us. You’re going to have to coach guys up and ideally play to the modern game. Let me be clear that I don’t think it’d be a bad hire. I can get on board with it. I just don’t know if it’s as slam dunk as it’d be perceived. It may be better to find someone who takes a newer approach.

Do we have a short list of hirable innovative X and O guys? Who do I need to be reading up on?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Those years were when the NCAA and FBI were investigating. Surely it was a major distraction. Arizona is currently ranked #3 in the country with the players Miller recruited. He’s also 12 years younger than Howland so it’s not like he would be coasting toward retirement like Howland is.
Howland had those issues too didn't he? And when he took our job, he was 57. How did you miss that?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Howland didn’t have any NCAA issues that I’m aware of. UCLA just fired him because his team was boring and didn’t win enough. Sounds familiar.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
And their new coach has come in and gotten better results from Miller’s recruits by modernizing things.

Lets just take Tommy Lloyd from Arizona and call it good. 17 the fired guy, grab the current coach. Dude isnt loyal to Arizona in the least- he has no history there.
Get it done, Cohen!

...yes I am well aware of who Lloyd is and his history. no I dont actually expect this to happen. yes it would be great if it happened.

Dawgs'n'Grizz

Dec 12, 2016
Not Quite

Oh so you want to play? Ben Howland had a career record of 401-206 (0.661 winning %), is a proven recruiter, and made the NCAAT 10 times in 19 seasons. Then you add in 1 Runner-Up and 3 Final Fours. 5 of his first seasons were at Northern Arizona, rather than Pitt (which is about the equivalent to Xavier). In other words, he got a better head start.

Their conference winning percentage over their time at Pac-12 blueblood programs is nearly identical. I can't think of a more equal comparison.

Howland was also 6-5 vs. Miller across 4 seasons, head to head.

Who here doesn't want to see reality and facts?

I get the argument but let’s be clear. Howland was a home run hire with great pedigree that just hasn’t worked out. It’s completely unfair to say all coaches that fit that mold similar to Miller won’t work out again. I say hire Miller and call it a day.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login