Read this article and tell me your thoughts.

wilson5869

Feb 23, 2008
What I am referring to is the part where Mack Brown let go one defensive coach and reassigned the other. I also found it interesting that Texas went 10-3 and Mack Brown was so displeased with the defensive coaches that he recommended that they NOT receive pay raises for the upcoming year. Only the offensive coaches received a raise. What do we do, give a 37% raise for such amazing improvement.

Muschamp, Applewhite bring new ideas to the Longhorns

By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 25, 2008, 12:52 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas -- Like most of his teammates, Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo has watched new defensive coordinator Will Muschamp's celebrated YouTube video with equal parts of astonishment and excitement.

Muschamp's expletive-laced exclamations after a big stop by his Auburn defense last season against Arkansas have made him a folk hero for many cyber viewers - particularly those Texas fans who have fretted that the Longhorns have lost some of their defensive passion and swagger since their 2005 national championship squad.

"When I first watched it, I thought I had never had a coach like that at UT," Orakpo said. "He's jumping on players I hope he brings it over here. It's good to see a coach so emotional and enthusiastic about his job."

Texas hopes Will Muschamp's intense style will point to an improved defense.

Whether Orakpo will be quite as excited about his new coach after spring practice remains to be determined. But the arrival of Muschamp is a sure sign that times are changing on the Forty Acres.

Coach Mack Brown was proactive after last season's uncharacteristic defensive lapse. Both coordinators from that unit are gone after Larry MacDuff resigned and Duane Akina was demoted to coach the secondary. According to the Austin American-Statesman, Brown's four offensive assistant coaches received pay raises after the season, while Brown recommended that the defensive coaches not receive any -- despite the Longhorns' 10-3 record that placed them in the top 15 of the final rankings for the eighth straight season.

The arrival of the 36-year-old Muschamp and 29-year-old former Texas icon Major Applewhite as running backs coach is an indication that Brown is interested in shaking some of his team's recent lethargy with a double shot of youthful coaching enthusiasm.

That moxie was noticeable at UT's first practice. Muschamp was in his players' faces, screaming and exhorting from the first whistle.

After linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy returned an interception for a touchdown against Texas' first-team offense, Muschamp excitedly sprinted along with his defense down the field after the pick and jumped into the middle of the celebration.

"Your intensity sometimes has to overcome your talent," Muschamp said. "I wasn't very talented when I was a player and I had to overcome that with my intensity. As a coach, I don't have a lot of experience, but I try to overcome it with intensity. We've got to get the guys to play that way."

Applewhite appears to be the same way, sometimes cajoling his troops with audible blue language that was a little foreign -- and maybe even a little unsettling -- from his ways as a player. It was almost like seeing Lassie turn into an attack dog.

Big 12 Spring Primer

Take a quick look at the position battles, coaching changes and other key factors to pay attention to during spring practices around the Big 12 Conference. Tim Griffin

"I think youth is a good thing," Brown said. "They are very aggressive and both have very good experience. They bring enthusiasm and confidence. You can't play and coach at the level they've done without confidence. And they bring credibility."

Players detected that change soon after they were hired. Muschamp oversaw many of the team's 6 a.m. offseason workouts as he inspected his new talent.

"At first when he got here, he was just like any coach who was monitoring and not saying too much," Orakpo said. "But as things started, you could see his personality come out with all of his emotion and his enthusiasm."

That happened at the Longhorns' second spring practice, when projected starting cornerback Deon Beasley was pulled from the lineup for a busted assignment. After an impassioned tongue-lashing from his new coach, Beasley returned to make several big plays later in the practice. Muschamp was the first person on the field to congratulate him for the turnaround.

"Some people look at him like they're kind of scared of him," defensive tackle Roy Miller said. "He's just very intense. I really like it. Hopefully, we'll mirror that in the games."

The defense is the first concern. The Longhorns ranked 109th nationally in pass defense, allowing the highest opposing pass completion percentage and over 500 more yards passing than any Texas team since the school began compiling complete team defensive statistics in 1951. Their slide was particularly noticeable late in the season, when the Texas defense permitted 37.5 points and 482.5 yards per game over the final four games.

And the Longhorns' erratic defensive performance was most frustrating. Texas limited five opponents to less than 300 yards, but looked overmatched against Oklahoma State (594 yards allowed) and Texas A&M (533) down the stretch.

"We were just inconsistent last year," Orakpo said. "There were times when we played great, there were times we played terrible and there were times when we played mediocre. That's something we're going to start working on as soon as we get back out there this spring."

Big 12 Power Rankings

Five teams appear to have a legitimate shot at the conference crown, but Missouri and Oklahoma enter spring practice atop the Big 12 power rankings, writes Tim Griffin. Story

It will start with trying to create a more forceful pass rush. The Longhorns produced 28 sacks and often appeared to be conservative rather than proactive. No Longhorns defensive back notched a sack last season until the Holiday Bowl victory over Arizona State.

Muschamp plans to implement a system with multiple pass coverages and formations. He's also promised a clean slate with no preconceived notions about a depth chart until after spring work concludes with the Longhorns' annual Spring Jamboree scrimmage on March 29.

"We've got to generate pressure with four guys rushing, but we've also got to get better up front," Muschamp said. "You can't make a living pressuring by blitzing all the time. We have to be multiple defensively and you'll hear me say that a lot. You've got to be able to do that because everybody can protect and throw the ball well."

But he has hinted at some changes that could bring more speed to the defense. Among the ideas he's toying with include moving defensive ends Lamarr Houston and Aaron Lewis inside to tackle to boost the unit's speed and playmaking abilities. That would also address one of the Texas defense's biggest personnel needs after the departure of starters Derek Lokey and Frank Okam.

"We're going to get the best 11 we have on the field," Muschamp said. "If it means moving a linebacker to end or an end to tackle or a corner to safety, we're going to get our best out there."

His hiring marked the second time in four seasons that Brown poached Auburn's staff for a new defensive coordinator. In 2005, he hired Gene Chizik, who helped the Longhorns claim a national championship in his first season. Chizik left for the head coaching job at Iowa State before the Longhorns' 2006 Alamo Bowl victory over Iowa.

A similar fast track to a head job could materialize for Muschamp, who already has earned a share of a national championship while a coordinator at LSU. He then followed Nick Saban to the Miami Dolphins as his assistant head coach for defense.

Brown understands that Muschamp might not be a coaching lifer in Austin, but merely another step to a head coaching job in a few years.

Former Texas QB Major Applewhite returned to Austin to coach the running backs.

"We need more young coaches like Will to become head coaches," Brown said. "He's honest. He's tough. He's aggressive. The kids like him and he gets it. His long-term goals are to win a national championship here, and I would hope that would present an opportunity for him to become a head coach at some point."

The same might be expected one day for Applewhite, who also has quickly progressed in coaching after a legendary playing career at Texas. Despite being involved in a celebrated duel for playing time with Chris Simms, Applewhite still holds school records for career passing yards and touchdown passes.

After starting his career at Texas as a graduate assistant, Applewhite left for coaching stints at Syracuse, Rice and Alabama. He was one of the nation's youngest offensive coordinators while working at Rice and Alabama the past two seasons.

"It's tough to leave a great place like Alabama, but the opportunity to come home is one that you can't pass up," Applewhite said. "I'm excited about the opportunity and challenge because it's always here."

And he appears comfortable to be back on Brown's staff, despite not having any direct play-calling responsibilities at his new job.

"It wasn't about a title and it wasn't about a role," Applewhite said.

But he is positioned to receive a lot of scrutiny this season as the Longhorns attempt to replace Big 12 rushing leader Jamaal Charles, who declared early for the NFL draft. The early favorite is Vondrell McGee, a sophomore who rushed for 207 yards and eight TDs last season. Foswhitt Whittaker and Chris Ogbonnaya should provide the biggest challenge. And Tre Newton, the son of former Dallas Cowboys lineman Nate Newton, also could push for playing time after enrolling early in college.

But the biggest transformation this spring will be due to the arrival of Muschamp and Applewhite.

"If it's working, good. But at the same time, you need new ideas," Brown said. "Will brought some new ideas Major got new ideas over the past three years and brought them back in. So we feel like that's a win-win for us. Our guys are pumped."

Tim Griffin is a college football writer for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Tim at [email protected].

wilson5869

Feb 23, 2008
What I am referring to is the part where Mack Brown let go one defensive coach and reassigned the other. I also found it interesting that Texas went 10-3 and Mack Brown was so displeased with the defensive coaches that he recommended that they NOT receive pay raises for the upcoming year. Only the offensive coaches received a raise. What do we do, give a 37% raise for such amazing improvement.

Muschamp, Applewhite bring new ideas to the Longhorns

By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: February 25, 2008, 12:52 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas -- Like most of his teammates, Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo has watched new defensive coordinator Will Muschamp's celebrated YouTube video with equal parts of astonishment and excitement.

Muschamp's expletive-laced exclamations after a big stop by his Auburn defense last season against Arkansas have made him a folk hero for many cyber viewers - particularly those Texas fans who have fretted that the Longhorns have lost some of their defensive passion and swagger since their 2005 national championship squad.

"When I first watched it, I thought I had never had a coach like that at UT," Orakpo said. "He's jumping on players I hope he brings it over here. It's good to see a coach so emotional and enthusiastic about his job."

Texas hopes Will Muschamp's intense style will point to an improved defense.

Whether Orakpo will be quite as excited about his new coach after spring practice remains to be determined. But the arrival of Muschamp is a sure sign that times are changing on the Forty Acres.

Coach Mack Brown was proactive after last season's uncharacteristic defensive lapse. Both coordinators from that unit are gone after Larry MacDuff resigned and Duane Akina was demoted to coach the secondary. According to the Austin American-Statesman, Brown's four offensive assistant coaches received pay raises after the season, while Brown recommended that the defensive coaches not receive any -- despite the Longhorns' 10-3 record that placed them in the top 15 of the final rankings for the eighth straight season.

The arrival of the 36-year-old Muschamp and 29-year-old former Texas icon Major Applewhite as running backs coach is an indication that Brown is interested in shaking some of his team's recent lethargy with a double shot of youthful coaching enthusiasm.

That moxie was noticeable at UT's first practice. Muschamp was in his players' faces, screaming and exhorting from the first whistle.

After linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy returned an interception for a touchdown against Texas' first-team offense, Muschamp excitedly sprinted along with his defense down the field after the pick and jumped into the middle of the celebration.

"Your intensity sometimes has to overcome your talent," Muschamp said. "I wasn't very talented when I was a player and I had to overcome that with my intensity. As a coach, I don't have a lot of experience, but I try to overcome it with intensity. We've got to get the guys to play that way."

Applewhite appears to be the same way, sometimes cajoling his troops with audible blue language that was a little foreign -- and maybe even a little unsettling -- from his ways as a player. It was almost like seeing Lassie turn into an attack dog.

Big 12 Spring Primer

Take a quick look at the position battles, coaching changes and other key factors to pay attention to during spring practices around the Big 12 Conference. Tim Griffin

"I think youth is a good thing," Brown said. "They are very aggressive and both have very good experience. They bring enthusiasm and confidence. You can't play and coach at the level they've done without confidence. And they bring credibility."

Players detected that change soon after they were hired. Muschamp oversaw many of the team's 6 a.m. offseason workouts as he inspected his new talent.

"At first when he got here, he was just like any coach who was monitoring and not saying too much," Orakpo said. "But as things started, you could see his personality come out with all of his emotion and his enthusiasm."

That happened at the Longhorns' second spring practice, when projected starting cornerback Deon Beasley was pulled from the lineup for a busted assignment. After an impassioned tongue-lashing from his new coach, Beasley returned to make several big plays later in the practice. Muschamp was the first person on the field to congratulate him for the turnaround.

"Some people look at him like they're kind of scared of him," defensive tackle Roy Miller said. "He's just very intense. I really like it. Hopefully, we'll mirror that in the games."

The defense is the first concern. The Longhorns ranked 109th nationally in pass defense, allowing the highest opposing pass completion percentage and over 500 more yards passing than any Texas team since the school began compiling complete team defensive statistics in 1951. Their slide was particularly noticeable late in the season, when the Texas defense permitted 37.5 points and 482.5 yards per game over the final four games.

And the Longhorns' erratic defensive performance was most frustrating. Texas limited five opponents to less than 300 yards, but looked overmatched against Oklahoma State (594 yards allowed) and Texas A&M (533) down the stretch.

"We were just inconsistent last year," Orakpo said. "There were times when we played great, there were times we played terrible and there were times when we played mediocre. That's something we're going to start working on as soon as we get back out there this spring."

Big 12 Power Rankings

Five teams appear to have a legitimate shot at the conference crown, but Missouri and Oklahoma enter spring practice atop the Big 12 power rankings, writes Tim Griffin. Story

It will start with trying to create a more forceful pass rush. The Longhorns produced 28 sacks and often appeared to be conservative rather than proactive. No Longhorns defensive back notched a sack last season until the Holiday Bowl victory over Arizona State.

Muschamp plans to implement a system with multiple pass coverages and formations. He's also promised a clean slate with no preconceived notions about a depth chart until after spring work concludes with the Longhorns' annual Spring Jamboree scrimmage on March 29.

"We've got to generate pressure with four guys rushing, but we've also got to get better up front," Muschamp said. "You can't make a living pressuring by blitzing all the time. We have to be multiple defensively and you'll hear me say that a lot. You've got to be able to do that because everybody can protect and throw the ball well."

But he has hinted at some changes that could bring more speed to the defense. Among the ideas he's toying with include moving defensive ends Lamarr Houston and Aaron Lewis inside to tackle to boost the unit's speed and playmaking abilities. That would also address one of the Texas defense's biggest personnel needs after the departure of starters Derek Lokey and Frank Okam.

"We're going to get the best 11 we have on the field," Muschamp said. "If it means moving a linebacker to end or an end to tackle or a corner to safety, we're going to get our best out there."

His hiring marked the second time in four seasons that Brown poached Auburn's staff for a new defensive coordinator. In 2005, he hired Gene Chizik, who helped the Longhorns claim a national championship in his first season. Chizik left for the head coaching job at Iowa State before the Longhorns' 2006 Alamo Bowl victory over Iowa.

A similar fast track to a head job could materialize for Muschamp, who already has earned a share of a national championship while a coordinator at LSU. He then followed Nick Saban to the Miami Dolphins as his assistant head coach for defense.

Brown understands that Muschamp might not be a coaching lifer in Austin, but merely another step to a head coaching job in a few years.

Former Texas QB Major Applewhite returned to Austin to coach the running backs.

"We need more young coaches like Will to become head coaches," Brown said. "He's honest. He's tough. He's aggressive. The kids like him and he gets it. His long-term goals are to win a national championship here, and I would hope that would present an opportunity for him to become a head coach at some point."

The same might be expected one day for Applewhite, who also has quickly progressed in coaching after a legendary playing career at Texas. Despite being involved in a celebrated duel for playing time with Chris Simms, Applewhite still holds school records for career passing yards and touchdown passes.

After starting his career at Texas as a graduate assistant, Applewhite left for coaching stints at Syracuse, Rice and Alabama. He was one of the nation's youngest offensive coordinators while working at Rice and Alabama the past two seasons.

"It's tough to leave a great place like Alabama, but the opportunity to come home is one that you can't pass up," Applewhite said. "I'm excited about the opportunity and challenge because it's always here."

And he appears comfortable to be back on Brown's staff, despite not having any direct play-calling responsibilities at his new job.

"It wasn't about a title and it wasn't about a role," Applewhite said.

But he is positioned to receive a lot of scrutiny this season as the Longhorns attempt to replace Big 12 rushing leader Jamaal Charles, who declared early for the NFL draft. The early favorite is Vondrell McGee, a sophomore who rushed for 207 yards and eight TDs last season. Foswhitt Whittaker and Chris Ogbonnaya should provide the biggest challenge. And Tre Newton, the son of former Dallas Cowboys lineman Nate Newton, also could push for playing time after enrolling early in college.

But the biggest transformation this spring will be due to the arrival of Muschamp and Applewhite.

"If it's working, good. But at the same time, you need new ideas," Brown said. "Will brought some new ideas Major got new ideas over the past three years and brought them back in. So we feel like that's a win-win for us. Our guys are pumped."

Tim Griffin is a college football writer for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Tim at [email protected].

patdog

May 28, 2007
Obviously Texas's defensive coaches didn't have to play with a freshman quarterback last year.

Who are the fans to question Mack Brown's judgment on this?

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
The offense sucks and y'all wanted Croom to morph into a different person and dump a guy he thinks is doing a good job. Unfortunately for us, Croom is not Brown or Tubbs or any other coach you can bring up who canned coordinators in the offseason.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________3 games does not a season make _________________________________________________
Croom's not that dumb. He knows Woodie sucks ***.

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________Unfortunately for us, Croom is not Brown or Tubbs or any other coach you can bring up who canned coordinators in the offseason. _________________________________________________
Yeah, you are right. He is no Mack Brown or Tommy Tubberville. If he was, it would not have taken him four seasons to produce a winning record. If he was, he would not stand for the offense we put on the field. I like Croom & I think he has us going in the right direction. That said, I believe there is just as much potential to return to a losing season this year. Under Croom, I believe 8-5 may be the peak. With him, I think we will at best finish around .500 or 1 game over in the regular season. He just seems to be missing something, but I'm not sure what that is. I hope he proves me wrong and is wildly successful, but I just don't believe it will happen.

G

Goat Holder

that it took Mack Brown 2 years of 1-10 before he won in his third season, 6-4-1. Tubbs was better at UM, but he definitely was marginal in his first 2 years as well. There are many variables that affect a head coach's first gig. Dare I say the "mess" (as the sheep like to say) that Croom inherited may have had an effect on that 3rd losing season?

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
than MSU was when Croom did. I mean, it was awful. I was at many of those 1-10 games. Not to mention, the ACC wasn't that good and they were still that bad.

G

Goat Holder

and allow me to talk myself into the theory that Croom could possibly, hopefully, someday be a good coach? It would make for an uplifting spring and summer full of hope for me.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
I'm not saying that Croom should have canned McCorvey (although he should have, so I take that back) but a 37% raise? Just damn!

A 37% raise for consistently finishing near the bottom of the NCAA. How does that **** work?

G

Goat Holder

that it sucks and won't work. Seeing what he has to work with, is it a possibility that McCroomvey is the one doing a good job, and Crooms holding him back?

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
How can you say either one of them is doing a good job when we are constantly below 100 in offensive ranking? There is no way you can twist this situation, that justifies McCorvey getting a 37% raise. No way at all.

G

Goat Holder

from different perspectives. I think the only reason Woody stayed on is because he can recruit, and Garrett likes him. I think Croom thinks the offense will work no matter what.

MSUCE99

Nov 15, 2005

I am sorry I have to keep reposting this, but I am kind of proud of it in a retarded "first-attempt" kind of way. So everytime this subject comes up, I will try to repost it for those who need pictures to help them understand.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
and Croom goes when he gets fired. Nobody`s gonna attempt to hire either one of them away from us.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Here's another thing that might help illustrate the difference between UT and MSU better.

MSU Athletic Budget - $28 million

Texas Athletic Budget - $100+ million

A subtle difference, I know.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
It's the 37% raise that pisses me off. You can justify McCorvey staying on staff, recruiting...Garrett, blah, blah, blah. But there's no way Croom can justify a 37% raise.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Yes, let's compare ourselves to Texas, that makes perfect sense.

Look, we gave McCorvey a raise because we gave Ellis a raise. It may not be what you wanted to do, and I really don't have a problem with that POV, but that's why we did it. Some of you are portraying this as we gave our offensive coaches a raise out of the blue, and that isn't true. We went to a bowl game, everybody got a raise, including Ellis and Woody.

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
if you believe Coach Croom is going to lobby for raises for every coach except his assistant head coach. When are you numbskulls going to realize Croom thinks McCorvey is a good coach doing a good job?

As much as you and I want a new O.C., Croom is not going fire a coach he thinks is doing a good job just to please the fans. We hired the wrong coach if you want Tubbs-like coach who dumps coaches the minute things go sour.

Aug 30, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________We hired the wrong coach if you want Tubbs-like coach who dumps coaches the minute things go sour._________________________________________________
Four years of an offense ranked in the 100's is not dumping a coach the minute things go sour. I doubt you would hear the rampant bitching on this topic if there had been improvement every year even if it was only slight. There was not much to work with when they got here, but we should at least be able to get into the high 80's by year four. I have defended Croom this year based on our 8-5 finish, but a similar finish will be difficult to attain without significant offensive improvement.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
Holy crap, why is this so hard to understand?

Did Croom have to give him a freaking 37% raise?

37%?????

Why not 10 or 15%...at least that's somewhat defendable.

What the hell would have happened if McCorvey's offense actually improved during the past four years? What kind of a damn raise would Croom had given him?

137%?

I'm done with this topic.

Eureka Dog

Feb 25, 2008
Those were the days before FSU joined.

FSU's first ACC season was 1992. Brown never beat FSU, going 0-6 from 1992-1997.

The ACC (aside from FSU) wasn't close to the SEC during Brown's tenure @ UNC.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________The ACC (aside from FSU) wasn't close to the SEC during Brown's tenure @ UNC_________________________________________________
It still isn't. Of the 6 BCS conferences, the ACC is a solid 6th in quality.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bitching about a stupid decision and a waste of money isn't living in Fantasy Land. Of course we all knew Croom was going to keep McCorvey and give him a raise. That doesn't mean we can't be pissed about it when he does though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Since the ACC expanded in 2005, it is 14-13 against the Big East. Looks like top to bottom, the two conferences are equal. BTW, the ACC is 6-17 against the SEC in that time span.

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
those are all top versus top for all I know.

May not be, but I don't know different. Or it could be top versus bottom, etc.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's pretty much top to bottom for both conferences. Most of both conferences wins have been by its top teams and most of its losses have been by its bottom teams. About what you'd expect from two equal conferences.

Duke 0 1
Florida State 1 0
Georgia Tech 1 1
Maryland 1 3
Miami (Florida) 1 1
North Carolina 0 4
North Carolina State 1 1
Virginia 3 1
Virginia Tech 3 0
Wake Forest 3 1

Cincinnati 0 1
Connecticut 1 4
Louisville 4 1
Pittsburgh 1 1
Rutgers 1 1
South Florida 2 2
Syracuse 0 3
West Virginia 4 1

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________Of the 6 BCS conferences, the ACC is a solid 6th in quality._________________________________________________

Big East has to take the bottom rung, patdog. The ACC should be fifth, but the Big East is far and away the worst BCS conference.

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________Of course we all knew Croom was going to keep McCorvey and give him a raise. _________________________________________________

That's not impression I get from reading this board on a daily basis.

TR.sixpack

Feb 14, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________I'm done with this topic._________________________________________________

One down, about a hundred to go.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login