Reading 247 - a thread from a T&L show - do you consider Jerrion Ealy a bust?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Reading 247 - a thread from a T&L show - do you consider Jerrion Ealy a bust?...

He had a solid college career but he was a 5-star that went undrafted. Discuss.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
No way. I'm not sure how this is even a conversation. Guy averaged nearly 6ypc over his career and was really good on returns.

Ole Miss has more than its fair share of busts. He isn't it.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He should have gone to a more pro set team. He could have gone anywhere. He also went into the draft too early.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He had a solid college career but he was a 5-star that went undrafted. Discuss.

He averaged 926 yds from scrimmage per year and averaged 8 TDs a year. One of those years was as a true freshman and his second season was a ten game schedule against all SEC competition (and I guess a bowl game?).

There's no way that qualifies as a bust. I guess maybe that's not all you'd hope a 5 star would be, but that's a pretty solid career.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
College career was about what you would expect from a 3/4 star RB honestly. In my opinion, a 5 star is elite NFL caliber talent that can at times START in the NFL. He is not that. Not yet. We will see maybe one day.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
No. Ealy would get meaningful touches at every school in America. Hadad’s definition of a ‘bust’ is a tough to sell.

Quay Evans is a bust. Not Ealy and Channing Ward.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
He’s Chad Bumphis. Productive but didn’t live up to the hype completely

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Most people would expect a 5* running back to have a very good college career and parlay that into being drafted at least by the 4th or 5th round. Maybe he shoulda concentrated on baseball.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Didn't live up to billing, but had a better than average career. Didn't get drafted, so certainly made the wrong choice for college.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Most people would expect a 5* running back to have a very good college career and parlay that into being drafted at least by the 4th or 5th round. Maybe he shoulda concentrated on baseball.
Well, he's not really a true 5 star stud. He was a 4 star most of the process and got the Ole Miss bump late in the game:

https://247sports.com/Article/Ole-M...tar-Status-Per-247Sports-Composite-128018183/

And it's not like he's a Chris Jones and was unknown until the end. Ealy was been a known recruit well before his senior year, folks knew what he was, he got the benefit of politics pushing him up a spot or three.

So no, he's not a bust. At all. Expectations were maybe a tad too high.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I loved that episode because it’s always fun going down memory lane with these recruiting battles. I don’t follow it nearly as closely as I used to, but I can easily remember being devastated when so many of those guys didn’t pick State, and it was crazy to look back and realize how many completely flamed out.

That said, I felt like the goal posts moved quite a bit throughout the discussion. Some guys were graded based on stars, some on college careers, some where they were drafted, and some based on NFL careers. For Ealy, I think it’s fine to say that he underperformed as compared to his 5 star rating out of HS, but I have a hard time with the bust label considering how productive he was for OM. I just think it’s possible to not live up to your 247 ranking without necessarily being a bust

Deen.sixpack

Sep 24, 2015
I d say John Emery Jr. has been a true "bust" so far. 700 total yards and 7 tds in two seasons as the number two ranked RB in the nation and number 13 player overall in the 2019 class. Trey Sanders' (number 1 RB in the 2019 class) stats at Alabama are actually worse than Emery and Ealy

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Wow didn't get drafted? He defintely wasn't a bust. He'd tear it up had he stayed another year. OM had a good team this year and he was a big reason why. He shared the load too, otherwise he probably could have had +1,200 yards.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Emery was another guy along with Deion Smith that killed me when he flipped to LSU. I though both were going to be studs

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
College career was about what you would expect from a 3/4 star RB honestly. In my opinion, a 5 star is elite NFL caliber talent that can at times START in the NFL. He is not that. Not yet. We will see maybe one day.

as compared to our 5-Star Quay Evans who little playing time in college and was a definite bust

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login