Realistic candidates for OC?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I think we need to stay with a passing offense, to keep the QB's and WR's we have coming back happy, but it doesn't necessarily have to be from the Mike Leach coaching tree. Who would you go after - offering, let's say, a top-10 coordinator salary?

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Bill Hader Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: Duggar Hall Desk

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
My phone Autocorrecting Arnett to Arnette is a cruel joke for all the times I made fun of the Mullins, Morehead, and Leech folks

• Haha
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I think we need to stay with a passing offense, to keep the QB's and WR's we have coming back happy, but it doesn't necessarily have to be from the Mike Leach coaching tree. Who would you go after - offering, let's say, a top-10 coordinator salary?
I just hope that Arnett having experience in other places provides him with some insight/contacts that are solid and produce a good OC, whether he is a currently known quantity or not.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I hear Peterson is bringing his old OC from Brandon High where they ran a version of the Air Raid. Dang...what was that guy's name ?

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
For no specific reason that I'm well versed enough to know, or can articulate, I don't think I want an Arkansas reject.
Arkansas was 7th in the country this year in rushing YPG and 5th last year. Ark fans do seem upset with Briles but their D was the primary reason for the disappointment this season - 124th in the country in total D and 101st in scoring D

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
And they scored slightly fewer points per game than we did. I would like to find something better. He was highly touted tho and that scoring might not necessarily be his fault. I don't really know even to say. Maybe they did not have the receivers to run what he wanted ? KJ seems to be a pretty good passer and great runner

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
And they scored slightly fewer points per game than we did. I would like to find something better. He was highly touted tho and that scoring might not necessarily be his fault. I don't really know even to say. Maybe they did not have the receivers to run what he wanted ? KJ seems to be a pretty good passer and great runner
Burkes left so that hurt them no having that receiver that could get down field and separate. Veer and shoot likes to take shots. Got to have a qb that can get it there to. Briles almost certainly means a change in qb. Qb will be expected to run more and throw deeper

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
They actually didn't. They scored .2 points per game more than us, but we scored more defense and ST points, which is skewing the number. And in SEC play, they scored a good bit more than we did.

They also were missing their QB for a while.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
They actually didn't. They scored .2 points per game more than us, but we scored more defense and ST points, which is skewing the number. And in SEC play, they scored a good bit more than we did.

Yeah, the 2 games that they didn’t have KJ they scored 17 and 10. They’re 2 worst performances of the year. Of course that 19 against Liberty is a bit of an eyesore.

Reactions: Drebin

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
You know depending on what offense we actually end up running, WR may have started his last game in Vegas. I don't really expect that to be the case but it's in the area code of probability.

Reactions: retire the banner

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Briles has appeal to me because its almost like Arnett saying “I’ve had a really tough time stopping this guy….I want him on my side”. He’s had to gameplan and playcall against him for 3 years, so if he’s on board I think we all should be.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Briles has appeal to me because its almost like Arnett saying “I’ve had a really tough time stopping this guy….I want him on my side”. He’s had to gameplan and playcall against him for 3 years, so if he’s on board I think we all should be.
That's how I'm looking at this. He has a unique perspective. Which games and OC did he hate playing and scheming against

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My phone Autocorrecting Arnett to Arnette is a cruel joke for all the times I made fun of the Mullins, Morehead, and Leech folks
You need to get your phone away from the English (SPS) settings…

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The more I see / listen to Arnett, the more confidence I have in him to make the right calls on this new stuff he's having to deal with the first time in his career. For the first time in my 50+ years of following STATE, I've never seen us sign QB's so sought after by Blue Bloods than under Leach. I want a guy who can continue that trend and streak we've been on and I think the timing is right considering the new guy will ultimately be making an attempt to carry on Leach's Legacy.

Reactions: msstatelp1

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Word is Pittman wanted more run heavy but Brikes is generally going to be fairly balanced.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

^^^This

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I’m starting to think you don’t have a clue what you want. You just want to *****.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I’m starting to think you don’t have a clue what you want. You just want to *****.
You probly should stop trying so hard to think. Tbh I have no idea what I want, other than a high scoring offense. Plus, it doesn't matter at all what I want. Or you. Or anyone else on this board in case you did not know that. And you call that bitchin ???

Chucksizzle

Dec 17, 2022
You probly should stop trying so hard to think. Tbh I have no idea what I want, other than a high scoring offense. Plus, it doesn't matter at all what I want. Or you. Or anyone else on this board in case you did not know that. And you call that bitchin ???
Rupert you have to follow the approved narrative and participate in group think. Having your own opinion or questioning the narrative will result in you being called names. Stop using critical thinking.

if We sink back to 5-7 in 3 years they will deny ever making these comments

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
My wishlist

Legit experience as a P5 coordinator at multiple big time jobs.

Head coaching experience to help mentor Arnett as a rookie HC

Time in MS for recruiting connections
I have a better pick. Played for Bryant. Coached under Bryant. Has beaten Saban. Beaten a national champion coach. Plus plenty of time in MS for recruiting experience

1672770505073.png

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I will say that if Briles is the guy I expect Rogers to be at Purdue or WS next year and I expect us to pick up a transfer. I just have a hard time seeing Rogers and Briles gelling. Briles likes a strong arm qb and the ability to move.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I have not heard any other candidates rumored other than speculation on this board. If it is Briles wouldn't you expect an announcement like tomorrow? No reason to wait on the last game or anything. It's all over now. I was expecting or hoping Sawyer might take the starting job from Will and with coaching changes I expect that even more strongly. The new guy owes Will zero loyalty and honestly, if it were me I would start fresh.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I have not heard any other candidates rumored other than speculation on this board. If it is Briles wouldn't you expect an announcement like tomorrow? No reason to wait on the last game or anything. It's all over now. I was expecting or hoping Sawyer might take the starting job from Will and with coaching changes I expect that even more strongly. The new guy owes Will zero loyalty and honestly, if it were me I would start fresh.
Good coaches start fresh every practice. QBs compete. Whoever runs the offense the best plays. That's what I expect. Unless we re-hire Mullen as OC.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login