Red shirts

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Call me crazy but there is no way in hell I would redshirt anyone on this team.Esp if we lose to Toledo. We need to prepare for next year by getting all these guys plenty of game experience. At least you could tell the recruits that they can get playing time. I sure don't think we are gonna have many other selling points to get those signatures

patdog

May 28, 2007
Putting players on the field who aren't good enough to beat out the ones we're playing now won't accomplish anything. "Getting players experience for next year" is the biggest hyped message board myth around. If they were good enough for it to make a difference, they'd be good enough to be playing this year.

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Confused Head Scratch GIF by State Farm

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
With transfer portal we might need to get every minute of play we can out of everyone. Never know who is going to stay. So, use them.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Call me crazy but there is no way in hell I would redshirt anyone on this team.Esp if we lose to Toledo. We need to prepare for next year by getting all these guys plenty of game experience. At least you could tell the recruits that they can get playing time. I sure don't think we are gonna have many other selling points to get those signatures
Name the defensive redshirts we've got

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
It's pretty obvious Lebby's plan was/is to use the portal rather than develop. Essentially, we're trying to be Ole Miss.
Except he's already said we will be a developmental program. Your boy left him no choice but go portal heavy for at least a couple years.

Reactions: RockyDog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Except he's already said we will be a developmental program. Your boy left him no choice but go portal heavy for at least a couple years.
Actions not words. If he wanted to develop, he'd have kept the young guys that were already in the program.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
With today's transfer rules, very few will wait to be developed. Maybe a QB, but that's only if you make their NIL worth it to them to ride the pine.

Play kids now, figure it out later with portal.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
It's pretty obvious Lebby's plan was/is to use the portal rather than develop. Essentially, we're trying to be Ole Miss.
There's not near as much value in redshirting a player in the transfer portal era. Thought process used to be "think how great he'll be when he's a 5th year senior". With so much turnover, you rarely get that reward.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I agree with this to some degree, but maybe not in the way that you are exactly meaning.

I think his plan is to have a high powered, exciting offense for sustained years, similar to what was done early in the Kiffin era. By proxy the defense will improve because good players want to play for exciting teams. I think he believes that if he can produce a consistent and exciting offense, then the rest will take care of itself. UM has gradually improved their defense each year that Kiffin has been there, but in the beginning was not a high priority for Kiffin.

I dont necessarily disagree with this plan, however the one thing that UM does better than us (and likely will continue to do so) is hyping the program.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There's not near as much value in redshirting a player in the transfer portal era. Thought process used to be "think how great he'll be when he's a 5th year senior". With so much turnover, you rarely get that reward.
I don't think that's been the case for a long time. If a player is ready to contribute, he'll play. If he's not, there's no reason not to redshirt him, for his good as much or more than for the team's. Cause by year 5, it's not likely either the player or the coach will be at the school.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Actions not words. If he wanted to develop, he'd have kept the young guys that were already in the program.
Your boy should've left him the talent and developed better and he wouldn't have to hit the portal so hard the first couple of years. He's got no choice until his recruiting builds up. And Leach had a Covid year to build with and didn't do it.

Reactions: RockyDog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Exactly. You can't assume someone will be on the roster next year, much less a few years from now when a redshirt would matter.

The entire roster becomes free agents each year. You build a roster for one year.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
We lost Woody and that's it. And he got tired of all the changes and BS. We lost a DB to Penn St that we wanted to keep. The rest weren't going to help us much. We don't have any RS guys that can help us this year and there aren't many anyway.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Name them. Name all those guys starting for a P4 team. You can't do it. Especially point out those DL.
We had an upperclass-laden team in 2023, and many of the guys I'm talking about were 1st or 2nd year players. Of course they hadn't started, or even had a real chance to start for us or anybody else. They have to be developed.

We lost Woody and that's it. And he got tired of all the changes and BS. We lost a DB to Penn St that we wanted to keep. The rest weren't going to help us much. We don't have any RS guys that can help us this year and there aren't many anyway.
You don't know that, because they weren't given a chance. They were young, and many were becoming 3rd year players.

Lebby can do whatever he feels he needs to, but my point is, you (Lebby or our fans) can't go blaming the previous coaches if you are running off all their players.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Exactly. You can't assume someone will be on the roster next year, much less a few years from now when a redshirt would matter.

The entire roster becomes free agents each year. You build a roster for one year.
You have to still do it to an extent. Most of the developmental guys transfer down, and it's not due to their choice. The coaches fall victim to it too, and it's a mistake.

Best mix for MSU is about 75% homegrown and 25% portal. Lebby wants to be Ole Miss and reverse that.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
It's pretty hard to watch our DL play against ASU and then turn around and say those guys wouldn't be helpful yo have around. But of course we have cap numbers and stuff to think about. Somebody had to leave so we could sign Kpaka ya know

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
We had an upperclass-laden team in 2023, and many of the guys I'm talking about were 1st or 2nd year players. Of course they hadn't started, or even had a real chance to start for us or anybody else. They have to be developed.
There was almost nobody. We hated to lose the young kid to PSU but I can't think of another except Woody. If you can think of some. go at it.
Nicholson isn't starting at USC, Will wasn't playing in this offense. We just didn't lose much P4 talent. We kept some of the skill guys on offense that Leach got at WR.

Reactions: retire the banner

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There was almost nobody. We hated to lose the young kid to PSU but I can't think of another except Woody. If you can think of some. go at it.
Nicholson isn't starting at USC, Will wasn't playing in this offense. We just didn't lose much P4 talent. We kept some of the skill guys on offense that Leach got at WR.

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
Do people still redshirt players with the transfer/NIL allowance? I thought that was an "unwritten rule" that it wasn't happening any more.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Putting players on the field who aren't good enough to beat out the ones we're playing now won't accomplish anything. "Getting players experience for next year" is the biggest hyped message board myth around. If they were good enough for it to make a difference, they'd be good enough to be playing this year.
Except our 2nd string QB, right? He's always better than the starter at State.***

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

Mississippi State Red Shirt

1726239612115.png

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Do people still redshirt players with the transfer/NIL allowance? I thought that was an "unwritten rule" that it wasn't happening any more.
Blue bloods probably don't. But ya'll get too wrapped up in how the elitists live. Out here in the real world middle class, yeah, a ton of players need to be redshirted.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
You are such an idiot. Those kids can’t play at marshal or USM but they would have helped here? No the issue is that Leach didn’t want to recruit defensive talent and left it up to that miserable defensive staff and super Dave Emerick who’s about to be fired at USC.
you just continue to make **** up

Reactions: retire the banner
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login