Regardless of what happens to Dan Mullen...

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
I can only hope IF he ever sets foot in DWS, he gets a standing ovation. Anything else makes us look bad, and as my USMC father would say, "It is better to die than to look bad!"

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I can only hope IF he ever sets foot in DWS, he gets a standing ovation. Anything else makes us look bad, and as my USMC father would say, "It is better to die than to look bad!"

17 Dan Mullen.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
What Mike Leach is about to teach everyone is that winning 6-8 games a year at Mississippi State in this era doesn’t mean you should get a statue. We thought Mullen was God’s gift to coaching when he was here without considering the sec budget explosion that distanced us from g5 teams that we used to struggle to consistently beat. He is a good coach but his praise for what he did at MSU is extremely overblown and going forward that will become clearer with the continual distance the sec puts between themselves and everyone else financially. I don’t care if people boo or cheer him but we compensated him for his time here and he isn’t owed anything from anyone in Starkville.

MaroonOil

Jan 13, 2021
What Mike Leach is about to teach everyone is that winning 6-8 games a year at Mississippi State in this era doesn’t mean you should get a statue. We thought Mullen was God’s gift to coaching when he was here without considering the sec budget explosion that distanced us from g5 teams that we used to struggle to consistently beat. He is a good coach but his praise for what he did at MSU is extremely overblown and going forward that will become clearer with the continual distance the sec puts between themselves and everyone else financially. I don’t care if people boo or cheer him but we compensated him for his time here and he isn’t owed anything from anyone in Starkville.

Extremely wrong on many levels. Mullen started the bowl streak we are on and it has carried over. He also took our program to a height that we may or may not see again? He could have stayed here and never gotten fired. He started the fire per say for us in the network era of CFB.

Now, I will give him the credit he is due and nothing more. He personally is a good guy but CFB professionally we weren’t his dream or final stop.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012

Would a golf clap suffice?

Edited to add: He will never have the decency to show up back in Starkville. Don't remember how cowardly he left without talking face to face with his players.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
If he ever comes back I will be there to pelt him with golf balls and mustard bottles.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013

It’s a No from me.

However, if you do ever have an ex-Wife I suggest you give her a “standing O” for all the times she gave you a “standing, sitting, or horizontal O” back in the day. I mean, for old time’s sake ya’ know?

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Mullen's bowl streak also included us backdooring our way into the St. Petersburg bowl, where we barely escaped Miami Ohio and we only got into on grades when Vandy became a 6 win team against a dumpster fire Tennessee.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Mullen's bowl streak also included us backdooring our way into the St. Petersburg bowl, where we barely escaped Miami Ohio and we only got into on grades when Vandy became a 6 win team against a dumpster fire Tennessee.

Exactly! Mullen did not earn a bowl game in 2016. It was given to him and the team looked terrible to boot.

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
Am I missing something here?

He coached against us at DWS the season after he left.

I don't recall a standing ovation.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
We thought Mullen was Godd gift to coaching when he was here...

Speak for yourself. Dan thought he was God's gift to coaching, but if you bought that crap its on you.

Dan is a good coach. He knows how to organize and build a program, and he can recognize talent in young players. He has a lot of shortcomings that keep him from being an elite coach.

Mullen and State were good for each other. Greg Byrne convinced the cigar boys to give Dan whatever he wanted, and Dan raised the floor for our program. He made us dissatisfied with 6 win seasons.

But we did a lot for him to. What bothered me the most when he left -- and what has bothered me today -- is the claim he must be some kind of genius just because he never sucked at State.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
Extremely wrong on many levels. Mullen started the bowl streak we are on and it has carried over. He also took our program to a height that we may or may not see again? He could have stayed here and never gotten fired. He started the fire per say for us in the network era of CFB.

Now, I will give him the credit he is due and nothing more. He personally is a good guy but CFB professionally we weren’t his dream or final stop.

No, extremely right on every level. He was a good, not great coach. He averaged 7.5 wins a year here and in the new landscape of college football there are multiple attainable coaches that can do that. We didn’t realize it at the time and you apparently still don’t, but that doesn’t make it any less true.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
Speak for yourself. Dan thought he was God's gift to coaching, but if you bought that crap its on you.

Dan is a good coach. He knows how to organize and build a program, and he can recognize talent in young players. He has a lot of shortcomings that keep him from being an elite coach.

Mullen and State were good for each other. Greg Byrne convinced the cigar boys to give Dan whatever he wanted, and Dan raised the floor for our program. He made us dissatisfied with 6 win seasons.

But we did a lot for him to. What bothered me the most when he left -- and what has bothered me today -- is the claim he must be some kind of genius just because he never sucked at State.

I agree with all of your post. When I said “we” I was referencing the majority of the fanbase. I appreciated him but a lot of people acted and continue to act like he deserves a lot more than he does from our fanbase and Leach’s tenure here is going to prove that Dan was just doing what a pretty good coach should do with the money we have available now.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Extremely wrong on many levels. Mullen started the bowl streak we are on and it has carried over.

Sounds very impressive until you realize he also benefited from having an extra gimme game every year helping us qualify. 1/3 of our bowls include that as a factor (2011, 2013, 2016). During his tenure, in our division we finished 5th out of 6 twice, 5th out of 7 three times, 4th out of 6 once, 4th out of 7 twice & 2nd just once, in 2014. That 2014 team was stacked with 13 subsequent NFL players, including Dak Prescott, Chris Jones, Benardrick McKinney, Preston Smith & more.

His record vs ranked teams was awful. He rarely won games he shouldn't have, but did lose games he shouldn't have, including embarrassing losses.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
I don’t ever want to see Dan Mullen back on campus again unless he’s coaching another team and MSU is beating the dog crap out of that team.

I can’t believe people still think he was gods gift to MSU. It’s embarrassing the way he was treated like a king here. Average coach at best. Total snake.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'll be nice and say I just hope he never shows back up and therefore I won't have to hurt your feelings or make myself look bad. What about Loafers, can we boo him?

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
Loaferz doubled his salary in a state without an income tax, right? But I would still direct boos at him on our campus. Leaving to increase his salary is one thing. Poaching our mediocre coach when 2018 was set up to be a double digit dubya season was another.

I'll be nice and say I just hope he never shows back up and therefore I won't have to hurt your feelings or make myself look bad. What about Loafers, can we boo him?

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
If Dan comes back I'll happily tell him "Well Bless Your Heart" in the most insincere way possible.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
He lost that when he treated us as an enemy in 2018... He could have been anything except what he was. But, him and Grantham both acted like WE forced them out... I would have had a difficult time even offering Grantham's kid a scholly after that gator chomp on our field...

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016

I liked Dan when he was our *******. Now.......not so much

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Danny's future reception at MSU depends entirely on him. He's the one who wanted out so desperately. If he wants to be remembered at MSU, he needs to do what needs to be done to get back on good terms. He needs to get involved, donate some money, something.

Danny was exactly who we needed at the time we got him. He made us feel good about football again and we had some good times. But he left, and while that did kind of erase the coaching graveyard image, he's in no way someone who should be revered by us. Same as King Jackie. No matter how good it was, the last 3 years count.

He's kind of like Croom in a way (not wins and losses, so don't look at it that way). He's just a guy that I'd love to have involved with the program somehow, but right now, you just can't, because of the way they acted. Even though they did some good things. It's going to take some reparative action on their end, not ours'.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
Croom is not a snake like Mullen . If Croom came back I would cheer. Not because he was a good coach, but he was decent to MSU.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I hope he's treated like every other person that bought a ticket. He's not important enough to be cheered or booed. Just find your seat and try not to stand up too much in front of the blue hairs.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Croom is not a snake like Mullen . If Croom came back I would cheer. Not because he was a good coach, but he was decent to MSU.
He wasn't decent, that's the point. He blamed us for his shortcomings, which is the reason why he's not welcomed back at all.

That's the issue, because I wish we could welcome him back. He broke the color barrier and took us to a bowl in a very exciting season. But his attitude just won't allow it presently.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
So the rumor was that he told Cohen he had done all he could do at State and was moving on at the end of the season. I wonder if he told the cheerleader the same thing or if it was actually true this time.

BiscuitEater

Aug 29, 2009

Mullet had ONE 'winning' SEC season at MSU in nine years.

I'm SO over him!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Fail.

Mullen's tenure coincided with adding a 12th game to the schedule. So with four OOC patsies and a 2-6 conference record, anyone with a pulse as a coach can go bowling every year. And Dan doesn't get credit for the 5-7 backdoor berth.

What Mullen ended up doing here will be the floor for Leach as far as expectations go.

MaroonOil

Jan 13, 2021
Again, I give credit where it is due for Dan. He is the reason where we are today. Rather you want to acknowledge it or not. We have been to the most bowls in this recent history then literally the rest of our combined history. The guy would have never been chased off here with our ceiling. No one can argue with any of that yet people find a way to anyway lol.

It can be denied all you want but Dan made us competitive in the hardest conference in college football. Yes there are asterisks with it. Even with his best team he laid goose eggs. Yet, at the time, no one ever thought to see a State football team competing for it all those last few weeks of ‘14. We may never see it again either. I pray we do though, just takes one good coach & staff & DM proved it.

The man left in a bad way & lied to the players & other things to go with it. DS said it best, we will find out in 10 years, we already saw the reaction when he came back in 2018. Anyways, the biggest problem with Dan, is himself.

I only wish he was content with Starkville. I don’t believe any coach can come here and just win 7-8 year in and out & it not be a big deal or struggle. Sprinkle an occasional 10 wins. Just too competitive and Starkville isn’t attractive to the outsiders. Yet, things change

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
Again, I give credit where it is due for Dan. He is the reason where we are today. Rather you want to acknowledge it or not. We have been to the most bowls in this recent history then literally the rest of our combined history. The guy would have never been chased off here with our ceiling. No one can argue with any of that yet people find a way to anyway lol.

It can be denied all you want but Dan made us competitive in the hardest conference in college football. Yes there are asterisks with it. Even with his best team he laid goose eggs. Yet, at the time, no one ever thought to see a State football team competing for it all those last few weeks of ‘14. We may never see it again either. I pray we do though, just takes one good coach & staff & DM proved it.

The man left in a bad way & lied to the players & other things to go with it. DS said it best, we will find out in 10 years, we already saw the reaction when he came back in 2018. Anyways, the biggest problem with Dan, is himself.

I only wish he was content with Starkville. I don’t believe any coach can come here and just win 7-8 year in and out & it not be a big deal or struggle. Sprinkle an occasional 10 wins. Just too competitive and Starkville isn’t attractive to the outsiders. Yet, things change

Dan is the reason we are where we are today because he just happened to be the head coach at MSU when the sec money explosion happened. He did a good job here but he isn’t a great coach and he didn’t hit our ceiling. He gets more credit than he should because he replaced the worst coach in SEC history. Give Dan Mullen Jackie Sherrill’s MSU budget and lack of bowl games like they had in Jackie’s day and he is fired after about 5 years at MSU.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Mullen's tenure coincided with adding a 12th game to the schedule. So with four OOC patsies and a 2-6 conference record, anyone with a pulse as a coach can go bowling every year. And Dan doesn't get credit for the 5-7 backdoor berth.
Bingo. It's like people just intentionally try to ignore this. People forget we went 5-7 in year 1 because he had to play Georgia Tech. Then in 2013 we lost to the Pokes and he had to scrape and claw to get to 6-6 (to his credit, he did it). Then he lost to BYU in 2016 and went 5-7 again (but to his credit, he did what it took to get us there with APR). All this illustrates that he definitely took advantage of admittedly easy scheduling (Stricklandz repeatedly said, "We'll play our P5 OOC opponent in a bowl game").

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login