Remind me again why #1 vs #8 seems like a good idea..

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
If #4 can’t stay on the field, why do we want to see an even bigger gap in these games?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Because its fun. Gives us more entertainment and games. Gets more of the football audience involved in the season. I have no doubt #8 wouldnt mind giving it their best so why not?

No one seeded lower than an 8 has won the basketball tourney- should we cut it to a field of 32?

Last edited by a moderator:

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Football isn't transitive. Ohio State, Baylor, and even (ugh) you-know-who could have made for some exciting playoff games. And Cincy and Michigan probably both would have been knocked out before the Semifinals.

If you have 15 or 23 or 31 total playoff games, you can absorb a few more duds more easily than if you only have 3.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Why does the nfl have playoffs? Why not just take the top four teams and play? Same for nba?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Because the bowl games don't mean as much any more with the playoffs. They dominate the media to the point the rest of the NYD bowls feel like a really nice consolation price... if you win.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The NFL Playoff is a different animal now somehow. I remember being a Wild Card team was nice but you weren't going anywhere. Now with the offenses we have in the NCFL any team can get hot and win it all.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
It’s more than 1 vs 8. It’s about putting 8 teams in matchups that you don’t normally get to see with reasonable sample size of the best teams from the highest division of college football. The process also creates a true NC.

For years, fans wanted to see the top teams play and the option wasn’t there for bowl season until the BCS happened. Bowl tie-ins almost always prevented the best matchups.

People can make up their own minds whether any of them are worth watching.

Also, how many people complained when Bama/LSU rematched in NO for the NC a few years back? The same would have happened this year if it was just Bama/UGA for the NC without a playoff in a BCS style selection process. Or would Bama/Michigan have been a good game?

And it has more attention from 4 more fan bases for a few extra weeks.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm no football guru but halfway through the season this was a two horse race.

And those that closely follow recruiting probably saw this coming way back in 2019

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Why does the nfl have playoffs? Why not just take the top four teams and play? Same for nba?
Why is it not a big deal if an NFL team starts 3-3. It’s concerning but it’s not over. Auburn almost beat Bama which would have potentially knocked them out. So we wouldn’t have to deal with their **** again. In a 8 team playoff they are still in it.In I like that aspect of it. I have pivoted on my opinion of keeping it at 4 because like 8 dog said it adds more games and excitement. I don’t like the 34/32 idea with no other bowls though because I enjoy all the games. The more the merrier.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
If #4 can’t stay on the field, why do we want to see an even bigger gap in these games?

I'm on the fence about the format. I'll admit I can't tell if there is a true separation forming between the Top 2 to 4 teams and the ROF...

-OR-

Are we seeing an anamoly in this window of time that will soon pass and parity will begin to prevail?

Also, the realist in me says that this is not about the "true fans" (however one wants to define this), but mor about the money generated for the coffers that are already pretty full (corporations, networks, etc.). The truth is: If all this was losing money, you can just about bet that the format would changed immediately...if not sooner.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
Because its fun. Gives us more entertainment and games. Gets more of the football audience involved in the season. I have no doubt #8 wouldnt mind giving it their best so why not?

No one seeded lower than an 8 has won the basketball tourney- should we cut it to a field of 32?

1 vs 8 isn't a good idea & that's precisely why they're going to go to a 12 team playoff, with the top 4 getting a bye in the 1st round, rather than an 8 team playoff.

1st round would be on campus: 12 @ 5, 11 @ 6, 10 @ 7, & 9 @ 8. That sounds like a lot of fun right?

I guess you could then see 1 vs 8 in the quarterfinals, but at least it'll be a number 8 that just won a big game & is playing well

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Because the bowl games don't mean as much any more with the playoffs. They dominate the media to the point the rest of the NYD bowls feel like a really nice consolation price... if you win.

Why would they mean even less now? I’ve heard several people say this but it doesn’t make sense. By that logic only one game was important before the playoff and every NY6 game was always meaningless.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login