Replacing QB and head coach won't fix this.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I'm reading that the solution is to replace the QB and fire the head coach, completely ignoring the top to bottom talent differential.

We can talk about the recruiting rankings, but instead let's look at one player: Malik Nabers. I would argue he had an impact on today's game. We offered him a scholarship on June 14, 2019. A Louisiana native, his only in-state offers at that point were LA Tech and Tulane. He received offers from a lot of top programs after we offered: Oklahoma, Georgia, Oregon, Michigan, and Notre Dame, to name just a few. He committed to State on July 28, 2020. But he finally got the big in-state offer from LSU on September 27, 2020. He decommitted from State and signed to LSU on December 16, 2020.

The point is that nine out of ten times, we sign players that didn't have committable offers from LSU, Alabama, Georgia, etc. In the case of Nabers, he was a Louisiana kid that had tons of offers, but was waiting on one. For other players, the only offer they are waiting on is Alabama. The fact is there are some SEC games in which it's going to look like we are outclassed. Because we are. I'm not saying we should accept that. I'm saying the issue is structural at the program level, not bad QB play, or bad game plan. If Jayden Daniels and Brian Kelly had suited up for State today, they couldn't have won this game. It is unreasonable to expect Zach Arnett to close the gap between LSU and State that has existed our entire lives in his third game as the permanent head coach.

This has always been the case, but it becomes a lot more straight forward in the age of NIL. We shouldn't be surprised when the LA Dodgers field a better baseball team than the Oakland A's. I'm not saying don't be disappointed. I am, too. I'm not saying shut up and give to the Bulldog Initiative. Although, I do and think you should, too. I'm saying this wasn't an Xs and Os problem. And it wasn't one player not performing well.

ETA: I’m not defending the players’ or coaches’ performance. They said themselves that they didn’t play well / have a good game plan. I just don’t think it’s as simple as putting in the backup QB or running the previous coach’s offense.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I'm reading that the solution is to replace the QB and fire the head coach, completely ignoring the top to bottom talent differential.

We can talk about the recruiting rankings, but instead let's look at one player: Malik Nabers. I would argue he had an impact on today's game. We offered him a scholarship on June 14, 2019. A Louisiana native, his only in-state offers at that point were LA Tech and Tulane. He received offers from a lot of top programs after we offered: Oklahoma, Georgia, Oregon, Michigan, and Notre Dame, to name just a few. He committed to State on July 28, 2020. But he finally got the big in-state offer from LSU on September 27, 2020. He decommitted from State and signed to LSU on December 16, 2020.

The point is that nine out of ten times, we sign players that didn't have committable offers from LSU, Alabama, Georgia, etc. In the case of Nabers, he was a Louisiana kid that had tons of offers, but was waiting on one. For other players, the only offer they are waiting on is Alabama. The fact is there are some SEC games in which it's going to look like we are outclassed. Because we are. I'm not saying we should accept that. I'm saying the issue is structural at the program level, not bad QB play, or bad game plan. If Jayden Daniels and Brian Kelly had suited up for State today, they couldn't have won this game. It is unreasonable to expect Zach Arnett to close the gap between LSU and State that has existed our entire lives in his third game as the permanent head coach.

This has always been the case, but it becomes a lot more straight forward in the age of NIL. We shouldn't be surprised when the LA Dodgers field a better baseball team than the Oakland A's. I'm not saying don't be disappointed. I am, too. I'm not saying shut up and give to the Bulldog Initiative. Although, I do and think you should, too. I'm saying this wasn't an Xs and Os problem. And it wasn't one player not performing well.
The defensive talent was recruited by this staff and it isn't good. Arnett hired this bad staff. We've been competitive with LSU in recent years. Move along with this shitastic take

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

I've got some sad news for you. No matter how much money we throw at our program we will never match the Bummer and LSUs. Put the money in other sports and accept our lot in life. We are locked out of the playoff unless we hire a Leach like coach that can win with lesser talent.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I've got some sad news for you. No matter how much money we throw at our program we will never match the Bummer and LSUs. Put the money in other sports and accept our lot in life. We are locked out of the playoff unless we hire a Leach like coach that can win with lesser talent.
Amazing that so many couldn’t understand that. Leach was a damn good coach.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005

100% we're just not good

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

I mostly agree but there's one heavy caveat to that: how a coach adjusts to talent gaps in large part dictates how successful they are. You scheme away from your weaknesses and towards your strengths, and towards the opponents weaknesses and away from their strengths. I am not seeing this staff do that so far. On one play we asked a freshman TE to power block a beast DE. And not on the tail end of the play, it was the leading block. That's dumb. Yes, there's a talent gap there, but there's also a coaching problem. On another, we blitzed the LB and stunted the DE inside.....leaving the edge wide open for the QB to scramble around, and he did EASILY for 15 yards. Again, just dumb. Rogers was the worst looking QB I've seen in a long time out there today, and the backup never saw the field for a looooong time, after frequent usage the first two games. Nearly Croom punting logic level there.

I'm not breaking down every play so this may be unfair to the coaches, but I don't see good strategic coaching so far.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011

Until we have an administration that makes it clear they are committed to doing what it takes to win, and all levels, instead of talking about beating OM, we are not improving.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Team went 9-4 last year and returned almost everyone.
Yeah, almost everyone, except the HoF head coach, his entire offensive staff, and the only 3-4 high end talents we had on the whole damn roster. Brought everyone else back, though.***

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
you are like an excuse machine Perd, I don’t think you are living in reality.

Leachs staff was all fired by our genius HC, and you cant tell me Leach wouldn’t have won 9 games again.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

This has always been the case, but it becomes a lot more straight forward in the age of NIL. We shouldn't be surprised when the LA Dodgers field a better baseball team than the Oakland A's. I'm not saying don't be disappointed. I am, too. I'm not saying shut up and give to the Bulldog Initiative. Although, I do and think you should, too. I'm saying this wasn't an Xs and Os problem. And it wasn't one player not performing well
Grambling did WAY better than we did against them. That’s coaching. I’m not saying we are equivalent talent, but we are head and shoulders above Grambling

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
MSU has a history of coaching up less prestigious high schoolers to be competitive enough to win 7-8 games a year so it’s not entirely our lot in life. 3 games in I’ve not seen that ability from Barbay. Right now he is a Peter Sirmon of offense. I also question our strength program based on our line play the last 2 games.

Reactions: wdawg44

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
He was the best coach we’ve ever had. That includes Dopey Dan and the Kang, and I am a huge JWS fan.
I would have loved to see his offense with Parson and RB from Texas along with the receivers he was bringing in. I Think he would have done what Heupel is doing given time. hell if he could win 9 with Will , I think the ceiling is pretty high.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Leachs staff was all fired by our genius HC, and you cant tell me Leach wouldn’t have won 9 games again.
Well he unfortunately died. Nobody knows if hollingshead or spurrier jr would have done okay this season. Spurriers group didn't look that good today either.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Nothing to do with what I said, unless you are quoting the wrong post
I'm just saying will probably still struggles even with keeping those guys at OC. Leach would be the only one to call an offense to help him. Those guys both would hsve mixed it up a lot more. Ran more and wanted qb to move.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I'm just saying will probably still struggles even with keeping those guys at OC. Leach would be the only one to call an offense to help him. Those guys both would hsve mixed it up a lot more. Ran more and wanted qb to move.
It’s less to do with them personally than staying with continuity, to build on a 9 win veteran team that only knows one system. Would this team go 4-8 with no changes in the system and the previous staff completely retained ? I highly freaking doubt it.

they beat a good Illinois team in the bowl game with Spurrier and the rest of the staff retained, could this current coaching staff beat that Illinois team ? Not a chance

I’ll add, I see a lot of complaining about how Will Friend has messed up the O line when Miller had them #2 in the sec last year....I agree with that...but

David Turner has the D Line looking like freaking garbage, they were much better with Phelps. this whole staff sucks.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Hard to say. Our defense might still suck too. They getting beat deep two games in a row. I just 17 it and play wright or parsons. If will can't find a home to grad transfer to then that's too bad. He's not playing in the nfl

sparks35

Oct 12, 2019
If you come away from today with the stance of “well why are people surprised? We’re MSU and this is what happens because our talent is lousy” then you are either so pissed off that you’re being irrational or you are stupid. We don’t have Bama or LSU talent, but damn it we have good enough talent to have more than 20 damn yards at halftime.

I get that people need to understand the talent gap is there, but sometimes that gets way overblown. We do actually recruit well enough to not get our *** beat as embarrassingly as we did today. And if you actually believe that today was just a talent issue, I’m not really even sure why you would watch a single game MSU ever plays.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Our better years we’ve been able to out muscle the lower half/two-thirds of the conference offensively and get shut down by the upper third. We’ve generally been good enough defensively to at least keep the final score somewhat respectable outside Bama. While our offense was horrible yesterday, I have to say the defense was a bigger let down to me. Can’t blame it on being on the field so long due to the ineptness of the offense either. We were never in the game defensively.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
But to get back to the point, we are stuck with these coaches for a couple years I am sure. They need to give Wright the starting job against the Cocks and let Will watch the game. Sometimes getting out of the fight for while to just watch helps. And that mobility might be what this offense needs. Supposedly his passing has improved. Winning is the most important thing and trying different combinations is a start. Also figuring out your 5 best OL and letting them gel as one unit seems like a good idea. I never understood 2 OL coaches. They have to work together in unison.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022

ETA: I’m not defending the players’ or coaches’ performance. They said themselves that they didn’t play well / have a good game plan. I just don’t think it’s as simple as putting in the backup QB or running the previous coach’s offense.
I agree with this for the most part. But our biggest issue is we are starting and incredibly loyal to a C-USA level quarterback. We are not a serious program. If we were, we would’ve recruited a transfer QB in the portal like Jayden de Laura after the 2021 season when all the signs were there Rogers is very limited. We don’t want to win at all costs, quite frankly the majority of our fanbase is content with Rogers because he’s a nice Mississippi kid who likes to hunt.

Last edited:

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
The coaching is bad BAD saw a Twitter replay today showing one lineman going right two others pulling left they were having to dodge each other … that is on the staff We beat the brakes off AM and Arkansas last year and OM at their place . It’s not talent

Reactions: blitz2Win

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
Leach and his coaching staff recruited players and trained players for four years to run the air raid system. Our players are veteran players, not rookies. We won nine games last year with basically the same players (for the most part) that returned this year.

The difference is the head coach and his newly-hired coaching staff. Smart coaches figure out how to win with the talent they have, not the talent they wish they had from their previous coaching job. Even Mullen knew that when he first came here.

Our current players knew how to win nine games in the system they had been trained for years to execute.

If you’re going to replace your entire coaching staff, you should hire someone who can use what players he currently has to win games, not change the entire system just because you’re too inflexible to adapt your own coaching style and philosophy because that’s all you know. Coaching is our problem. It’ll be worse next year when we lose 50-60 percent of our team. This won’t get better for at least three years and maybe not even then.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Leach would have won 7 or 8 regular season, who knows after that. But that doesn’t matter. He was the actual OC and the entire operation offensively. You think you automatically get the exact same playcalling and development from 17ing Spurrier Jr.? You think he was the real mastermind the whole time? GTFO.

I mean, if only the rest of the college football world knew your secret, that there were 2 or 3 other Mike Leach’s out there ripe for the picking to just set up a giant-slaying offense at fill-in-the-blank have not program.

ETA: Spurrier Jr. has run the ball 63% of the time so far in 3 games at Tulsa. And 2 of those 3 games were them getting blown the 17 out by Oklahoma and Washington, so its not like they were in a lot of run-favorable game scripts. Thats pretty hard evidence that we weren’t going to continue down the Leach Air Raid path even if we kept the gang all together.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login