REPORT: Bad news for FSU: Big 10 and SEC won't want you

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Very interesting turn of events.

It was "reported" (who knows what that means, but it's the offseason, so I take it as gospel) that the SEC and Big 10 would NOT be interested if they fight their way out of the ACC and the conference survives for the very reason that they would have fought their way out of the ACC. They have been called a "disruptive partner".

"Look what they did: getting the attorney general involved, accusing [former ACC commissioner] John Swofford of rigging the television rights to help his son, filing a suit to expose ESPN's TV deals — something the other three power leagues are against, by the way," the source said. "They're not a good partner. There's no congeniality. No one wants that."

It seems the SEC and Big 10 would be in position to pick up ACC schools if the conference just collapses catastrophically on it's own but are not interested in schools that simply force their way out. If there is validity to this, it could (but won't) cool some of the ACC exit stuff. No way Clemson and FSU are going to force their way to end up in the Big 12.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
This sounds reasonable, except when I think of Texas in the B12, and if they were a "disruptive partner".

What they did with their own network and profit sharing probably doesn't amount to what FSU did though.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This sounds reasonable, except when I think of Texas in the B12, and if they were a "disruptive partner".

What they did with their own network and profit sharing probably doesn't amount to what FSU did though.

Right. Texas and OU just negotiated a buyout with the conference, if I recall. They didn't pitch a year's long hissy fit and drag the conference into court and all that.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
Both the sec and big ten are scared of being accused of colluding. They are not going to put them in position to be sued by the ACC. I don’t believe any of this until that happens.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Right. Texas and OU just negotiated a buyout with the conference, if I recall. They didn't pitch a year's long hissy fit and drag the conference into court and all that.

I didn't mean that, I meant the unequal revenue and their own network thing. A&M supposedly leaving because they and others hated being the "little brother" to Texas in everything.

Texas was apparently annoying, but not FSU annoying.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Both the sec and big ten are scared of being accused of colluding. They are not going to put them in position to be sued by the ACC. I don’t believe any of this until that happens.

They weren't worried about colluding when working to add Texas and OU, lol

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I didn't mean that, I meant the unequal revenue and their own network thing. A&M supposedly leaving because they and others hated being the "little brother" to Texas in everything.

Texas was apparently annoying, but not FSU annoying.
oops, yeah, misread what you posted.

Reactions: Lurker123

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
The idiots at the highest levels of FSU and Clemson who went along with the ACC/ESPN deal prove that intelligence does not equate to good judgment.

Reactions: Lurker123

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
They weren't worried about colluding when working to add Texas and OU, lol
How do you know they did, fact is you don’t. The announcement to where they were going was not made until after the settlement to get out was made. It was then a couple day gap before that announcement. How do you know those conversations are not happening with tatertech and FSU. Truth is you can’t believe any of this. Just a couple months prior to the Texas ou announcement, the sec said they were not expanding again. Same with the big10.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
How do you know they did, fact is you don’t. The announcement to where they were going was not made until after the settlement to get out was made. It was then a couple day gap before that announcement. How do you know those conversations are not happening with tatertech and FSU. Truth is you can’t believe any of this. Just a couple months prior to the Texas ou announcement, the sec said they were not expanding again. Same with the big10.

And you don't have facts to back up your claim.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
I don’t have facts that the announcement to the sec didn’t come till after the announcement that Texas and ou had reached an agreement? Plenty of news articles on that. It’s a fact that the acc could sue the sec for collusion if they had proof talks were going on right now. All those are facts that lead to no one knowing the truth.

The only claim I made was that they can’t be trusted and I think past indications support that.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This widely reported story certainly will embolden the ACC in their fight. They now have zero incentive to negotiate a settlement and all the incentive to drag this out for years. Even if the ACC were to dissolve, McMurphy and Finebaum have both reported that it's not Clemson and FSU who would be the biggest gets. Rather UNC and UVA would be atop the pecking order. ESPN would have little incentive to pursiue Clemson and FSU in the SEC and pay more to show their games than they already are, so a move to the SEC would seem unlikely for them. And they are not a fit for the Big 10 at all.

That really leaves them no apparently viable landing spot, which gives the ACC tons of leverage in this fight.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
And then there is this quote from the Brett McMurphy article that broke the initial news:

One source, however, cautioned “never say never” about FSU going to the Big Ten because there could be a path if the ACC disintegrates.

“There is no appetite among the presidents unless there is some catastrophic development with the ACC and it forces [the Big Ten] into a decision,” the source said.

“If the ACC blows up, who picks first [between the Big Ten and SEC]? Who picks second? If there is a need and desire to expand, you take inventory so your competitors don’t get it. Despite what the social media geniuses are suggesting, no one — the leagues, the networks — is driving expansion.”

That could change if the ACC no longer exists.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
And then there is this quote from the Brett McMurphy article that broke the initial news:

One source, however, cautioned “never say never” about FSU going to the Big Ten because there could be a path if the ACC disintegrates.

“There is no appetite among the presidents unless there is some catastrophic development with the ACC and it forces [the Big Ten] into a decision,” the source said.

“If the ACC blows up, who picks first [between the Big Ten and SEC]? Who picks second? If there is a need and desire to expand, you take inventory so your competitors don’t get it. "

In other words, we're hedging our bets for any outcome.

Yeah. If the top targets switched to UVA and UNC, that still leaves a ruined ACC and a free for all after those two leave.

Someone said above, and I agree, I don't think the ACC survives this intact.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

“If the ACC blows up, who picks first [between the Big Ten and SEC]? Who picks second? If there is a need and desire to expand, you take inventory so your competitors don’t get it. Despite what the social media geniuses are suggesting, no one — the leagues, the networks — is driving expansion.”

That could change if the ACC no longer exists.

Right. The Big 10 and SEC will gladly gobble up remnants if the ACC comes to demise on its own. Obviously.

One factor in this is that ESPN has a look-in on their contract with the ACC in February 2025 and can opt to trash the contract by 2027 if they so choose.

Would they? I guess the question is, why would they?

They would risk losing a highly valuable brand like UNC to the Big 10 and their tv competitors. Would they want Clemson and FSU in the SEC and pay more to televise their games than they are now?

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Right. The Big 10 and SEC will gladly gobble up remnants if the ACC comes to demise on its own. Obviously.

One factor in this is that ESPN has a look-in on their contract with the ACC in February 2025 and can opt to trash the contract by 2027 if they so choose.

Would they? I guess the question is, why would they?

They would risk losing a highly valuable brand like UNC to the Big 10 and their tv competitors. Would they want Clemson and FSU in the SEC and pay more to televise their games than they are now?
If VENU (joint partnership with FOX, ESPN, & Warner Bros) becomes very profitable, then the FOX vs ESPN argument becomes moot.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If VENU (joint partnership with FOX, ESPN, & Warner Bros) becomes very profitable, then the FOX vs ESPN argument becomes moot.

There are, indeed, a million ifs in all of this. Not sure if it would become entirely moot b/c you'd still have a significant chunk of subscribers elsewhere.

Others have argued it could just raise the stakes in tv revenue arms race.

Last I heard, Venu had some serious hurdles with regulatory approval. Not sure if they've gotten past those or not. Fubo had filed an antitrust suit over it.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The idiots at the highest levels of FSU and Clemson who went along with the ACC/ESPN deal prove that intelligence does not equate to good judgment.
Seems like Maryland had good timing for their ACC departure.

Looking in the mirror, USC was a disruptive partner vis a vis the ACC. Like Clemron & F$U with the GOR, we signed on to the 800 SAT requirement, then tried to renege.

Last edited:

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
This widely reported story certainly will embolden the ACC in their fight. They now have zero incentive to negotiate a settlement and all the incentive to drag this out for years. Even if the ACC were to dissolve, McMurphy and Finebaum have both reported that it's not Clemson and FSU who would be the biggest gets. Rather UNC and UVA would be atop the pecking order. ESPN would have little incentive to pursiue Clemson and FSU in the SEC and pay more to show their games than they already are, so a move to the SEC would seem unlikely for them. And they are not a fit for the Big 10 at all.

That really leaves them no apparently viable landing spot, which gives the ACC tons of leverage in this fight.
I like your analogy.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Also a factor is that many believe ESPN and Fox are basically maxed out as far as what they want to spend on college football and the general belief that neither FSU nor Clemson add considerable value to either the SEC or Big 10. Not that either team isn't a big brand, but when you've already got 2 conferences loaded with powerhouse blue bloods, the impact of adding those schools is minimal, value-wise.

RUMMENIGGE

Jan 31, 2022
Would you quit your job if you did not have another job lined up? clemson and Florida State would not be pushing this hard to get out of the ACC if they did not have a secret agreement with another conference to join.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Would you quit your job if you did not have another job lined up? clemson and Florida State would not be pushing this hard to get out of the ACC if they did not have a secret agreement with another conference to join.

Sometimes you overplay your hand.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022

This seems reasonable. It would be surprising if they went through all this with no hint of an agreement should they get untangled.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If clemson and Florida State have no secret agreement in place that would be like skydiving out of an aircraft with no parachute.
It happens. We still have fans lamenting us leaving the ACC a lifetime ago.

Besides, all that's REALLY happened up to this point has been saber rattling.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
If clemson and Florida State have no secret agreement in place that would be like skydiving out of an aircraft with no parachute.
Didn't "Jaws" in Roger Moore's "James Bond " movie "Moonraker" do that? :LOL:

I speculated the same thing as you awhile back when they sued the ACC. At the time, I speculated they had a "wink and a smile" (to steal Harry Connick Jr's song) from the SEC. I think "18IsTheMan" speculated the other day the SEC might add 4: FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA. It would not shock me when all the smoke clears, that's what happens. But, I know little and claim less.

RUMMENIGGE

Jan 31, 2022
Didn't "Jaws" in Roger Moore's "James Bond " movie "Moonraker" do that? :LOL:

I speculated the same thing as you awhile back when they sued the ACC. At the time, I speculated they had a "wink and a smile" (to steal Harry Connick Jr's song) from the SEC. I think "18IsTheMan" speculated the other day the SEC might add 4: FSU, Clemson, UNC and UVA. It would not shock me when all the smoke clears, that's what happens. But, I know little and claim less.
If the SEC expands again, I think basketball will be the expansion focus. I think Kansas and North Carolina will be what the conference is seeking.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I consider this just the latest of hundreds of speculative click-bait articles designed to keep these so-called internet "journalists" employed. I had four such articles on my Google news feed just today.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
It happens. We still have fans lamenting us leaving the ACC a lifetime ago.

Besides, all that's REALLY happened up to this point has been saber rattling.
I am a lamenter for the ACC we left, not the current conference configuration.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I don't lament playing basketball schools in football. I lament that we can't beat football schools in football.
The irony is that the ACC was founded with football in mind. Basketball and all other sports were an afterthought.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I always think it's a good idea to review the past in order to help make the present and future better. Sometimes it helps, and sometimes it doesn't. Always worth a try.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I consider this just the latest of hundreds of speculative click-bait articles designed to keep these so-called internet "journalists" employed. I had four such articles on my Google news feed just today.
Four more today, for that matter, some of them contradictory. Scant plausibility in the obvious absence of hard knowledge shouldn't impress anyone.

DenisinSC

Aug 2, 2022
Very interesting turn of events.

It was "reported" (who knows what that means, but it's the offseason, so I take it as gospel) that the SEC and Big 10 would NOT be interested if they fight their way out of the ACC and the conference survives for the very reason that they would have fought their way out of the ACC. They have been called a "disruptive partner".

"Look what they did: getting the attorney general involved, accusing [former ACC commissioner] John Swofford of rigging the television rights to help his son, filing a suit to expose ESPN's TV deals — something the other three power leagues are against, by the way," the source said. "They're not a good partner. There's no congeniality. No one wants that."

It seems the SEC and Big 10 would be in position to pick up ACC schools if the conference just collapses catastrophically on it's own but are not interested in schools that simply force their way out. If there is validity to this, it could (but won't) cool some of the ACC exit stuff. No way Clemson and FSU are going to force their way to end up in the Big 12.
Force their way? SEC wants no part of FSU and Clemson. Why disrupt a good thing?

Latest posts