REPORT: Bad news for FSU: Big 10 and SEC won't want you

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
As 18IsTheMan has stated, the value FSU and Clemson would bring to the conference is not enough to make up for the cost of dividing the pie into 18 pieces, sadly.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
As 18IsTheMan has stated, the value FSU and Clemson would bring to the conference is not enough to make up for the cost of dividing the pie into 18 pieces, sadly.
And again how do you and he know that? Do you know how the espn contract works? Do you know whether or not they would increase payout? By default espn gets to cover more games.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
Are we looking to become the SEC20?
It's sad and defeats the purpose of being in a conference when it becomes so big there are teams you never play, and rivalries are totally lost!

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
And again how do you and he know that? Do you know how the espn contract works? Do you know whether or not they would increase payout? By default espn gets to cover more games.
The conference, not you nor I, would determine that. But I have read quotes from conference representatives to that effect.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
The conference, not you nor I, would determine that. But I have read quotes from conference representatives to that effect.
A bit different but I reviewed a media contract for an individual who was appearing on a popular show on the Food Network. First it was long as a novel and second the NDA was such that the individual could say nothing about it except to a lawyer on retainer. I would be surprised if ANY conference official made any comment regarding anything in the media agreement. The penalties in those are draconian.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
These contracts are not permanent. Otherwise no one would expand. Other people are already taking more schools than the SEC is. Some schools are taking lower payouts on the front end. The "further dividing the pie" theory would apply to any expansion target unless more product demands more remuneration, which it ultimately will, unless for some reason, the entire market collapses.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
A bit different but I reviewed a media contract for an individual who was appearing on a popular show on the Food Network. First it was long as a novel and second the NDA was such that the individual could say nothing about it except to a lawyer on retainer. I would be surprised if ANY conference official made any comment regarding anything in the media agreement. The penalties in those are draconian.
It did not give a name of a SEC official. It was an anonymous source, probably for the reason you give.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
These contracts are not permanent. Otherwise no one would expand. Other people are already taking more schools than the SEC is. Some schools are taking lower payouts on the front end. The "further dividing the pie" theory would apply to any expansion target unless more product demands more remuneration, which it ultimately will, unless for some reason, the entire market collapses.
Of course those contracts are not permanent. All I can tell you is what I read. And it was not encouraging for bringing in FSU and Clemson. And without going into detail, I have a special place in my heart for Florida State. I would love to see them join. And I have stated in the past why I'd like Clemson to come in.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
And obviously, some schools have more value and are desirable to the conference than others, for any number of reasons. Not all are equal.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022
You obviously skated over the word "anonymous", alluded to earlier.
Dude anonymous won’t make you not liable. All they would have to do is pro who told who. If I was one of them Im not telling a reporter anything. It’s also even easier for the writer to use anonymous in a false claim. You will have to excuse me for not trusting that source.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Dude anonymous won’t make you not liable. All they would have to do is pro who told who. If I was one of them Im not telling a reporter anything. It’s also even easier for the writer to use anonymous in a false claim. You will have to excuse me for not trusting that source.
Buddy, then I wait to see the lawsuits against the journalists who write those stories. I don't care who you trust and don't trust. Let them take the journalist to court.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Buddy, then I wait to see the lawsuits against the journalists who write those stories. I don't care who you trust and don't trust. Let them take the journalist to court.
Why would the journalist get sued? Sue the conference for tortious interference and depose the journalist and subpoena phone records of the conference and the journalist. For a start.

Big XII didn’t have much when they sued the SEC.

It is why people involved keep their mouth shut even under the shroud of anonymity. Don’t give them anything to bite on.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Why would the journalist get sued? Sue the conference for tortious interference and depose the journalist and subpoena phone records of the conference and the journalist. For a start.

It is why people involved keep their mouth shut even under the shroud of anonymity. Don’t give them anything to bite on.
I don't know. I do know we (at least I have) read these stories by writers on THIS On3 site. And by "writers", I don't mean posters.

Yard_Pimps

Jul 11, 2022

He doesn’t get it.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
And people here recently have posted links of writers saying that Florida State and Clemson can forget it.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I don't know. I do know we (at least I have) read these stories by writers on THIS On3 site. And by "writers", I don't mean posters.

Finebaum wrote a story that someone linked on this site saying it's North Carolina, not FSU nor Clemson. I also have read a story by an On3 writer saying basically the same thing, that clemson and FSU will never, never get an invitation to the SEC, EVER!!!!! to the resident Clemson fan on this thread, going on hope, disappointment. Brett McMurphy of ActionNetwork says FSU makes no financial sense. If FSU makes no financial sense, you know clemson does not. Where they get their information, I do not know. Common sense says they are not getting information out of thin air to draw their conclusions.

Last edited:

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Finebaum wrote a story that someone linked on this site saying it's North Carolina, not FSU nor Clemson. I also have read a story by an On3 writer saying basically the same thing, that clemson and FSU will never, never get an invitation to the SEC, EVER!!!!! to the resident Clemson fan on this thread, going on hope, disappointment. Brett McMurphy of ActionNetwork says FSU makes no financial sense. If FSU makes no financial sense, you know clemson does not. Where they get their information, I do not know. Common sense says they are not getting information out of thin air to draw their conclusions.
Whether FSU or Clemson ever gets an invite I don’t know. I have no inside info on what the SEC wants. All I am saying is based on any public conference statements, no one does because no one could expect them to say thing but “we are not interested, period.” F they said anything else, anonymously or otherwise, they could and would be sued.

Finebaum and all the other reporters are reading tea leaves and creating justifications for their position. No one but the conference heads and university administrators have a clue what’s going to happen.

Last edited:

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Whether FSU or Clemson ever gets an invite I don’t know. I have no inside info on what the SEC wants. All I am saying is based on any public conference statements, no one does because no one could expect them to say thing but “we are not interested, period.” F they said anything else, anonymously or otherwise, they could and would be sued.

Finebaum and all the other reporters are reading tea leaves and creating justifications for their position. No one but the conference heads and university administrators have a clue what’s going to happen.
As you know, journalists never reveal their sources, if they have sources. Everybody is reading tea leaves put out before them, here and elsewhere. No one on this site KNOWS. Some, here and elsewhere, will let their emotions draw their conclusions from their reading. Others will use common sense. Tom Landry was known as an emotionless football coach. He said he did not let his emotions get in the way on the sideline because they would lead to poor decision-making on his part.

Last edited: