Revisiting last year's season opener

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
I went back and looked at the box score from last year's opener against LA Tech and I had forgotten just how terrible it was. We gave up 31 unanswered points and had to make an incredible comeback and have them miss a game winning FG to gut out a 1 point win.

Several times last year our offense sputtered for long stretches only to make a huge comeback and win (La Tech, Auburn) or fall just short ( Memphis, LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss).

What needs to improve so we don't put ourselves in these tough situations throughout this season? Or is it just a feature of running the air raid?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Missouri plays La Tech tonight. I am kind of interested on how that game goes.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think it's a part of the Leach Experience UNLESS he has a veteran team. Look at Texas Tech 2005, 2007-2008, Wazzou 2017-2018.

I personally think we'll have fairly stable 2022, 2023 will be all over the place, and then he'll follow that up with a 2-3 year run of stability, then retire.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Is it a function of our offense or of our defense? Giving up 31 points is not ideal to winning. Maybe we wore teams down and won.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I think the dump off passes to the backs will gain 2-3 more yards on average this year keeping us in front of the chains and forcing all but the great Ds to take a guy out of drop coverage. This will open up the crossers and downfield options.

Didn't work first 2 years because backs and QB were young AND new to the offense. Not the case this year. Only GA and AL will be able to stay in the exaggerated drop coverage on us.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Consistency. Also watch for more running from Will this year.
Anything at all to back this up? I don't see that happening in any shape or form, unless we are trying to get him hurt so Robertson can play. And I don't think Leach would prefer that.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
He's been working with a track coach. 40 time is under 7 seconds now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. That's not happening. No matter how many times people keep repeating it. And no matter how many times people repeat that we ran the ball more last year, the fact is we ran it 28% of the time. Right at Leach's 29% average.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Consistency. Also watch for more running from Will this year.

The same thing happened last year...we saw Will running more in fall camp and we saw the team running more jet sweep-type stuff. Then we got into the season and you saw none of that.

So let experience be your guide....don't expect Will to run more.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
If we have to depend on Will running we are in trouble. Let's hope the OL is up to the task all year!

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm hoping this year will comes out on target and focused and same for receivers let's be on the same page from the start. It's year three dang it. And linemen that jump off or get caught with a hold are running got dang mile after the game.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If you look back at those games, especially in the first half, it wasn't just slow starts by the offense. A lot of it was penalties and/or turnovers. We had almost 100 yards in penalties in the LaTech and Auburn games.

Passes were getting into hands of receivers, but then there's a holding call or a fumble or a false start on a 3rd/4th & 1.

Clean that up and we've got a puncher's chance in any game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login