Rick Stansbury out of a job

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Today, Penny Hardaway inexplicably and abruptly fired four assistant coaches, essentially his entire bench staff.

Red flags n shlt

Oct 17, 2023
Today, Penny Hardaway inexplicably and abruptly fired four assistant coaches, essentially his entire bench staff.

Red flags n shlt
The start of the end of every head coach. He gets one more year if he fires some or all of his staff and "starts in a new direction". Funny how the new direction is almost never up. Has a coach who fired most or all of his staff ever recovered?

Reactions: knock him out john

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Penny has been very underwhelming. I remember when he was first hired, Memphis media went crazy and said he was destined for multiple title runs.

PS - Memphis local sports radio is the worst. They essentially ignore everything SEC even though they have more SEC fans in the Memphis metro than actual Memphis Tiger fans.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Did I see that this is now 8 assistants out of 10 in total that will not be returning from last year's staff? For starters, that's an obscenely high number, and the timing of these last 4 being dismissed is also weird with it coming just a couple months before the start of the season. Something definitely smells weird about all of this

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

hailmari1

Aug 29, 2017

Red flags n shlt
Memphis was actually playing well last year while Penny was serving a suspension and Rick was the interim. They immediately started to suck when Penny took over again.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Was listening to sports talk a little while today. They were slamming Penny for letting Rick go. Apparently he was responsible for bringing in the current class.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Chris Vernon is saying it could be their new AD finding some recruiting nonsense and needing someone to be the scapegoat. It’s a valid theory since the other 3 guys are all local Memphis area guys.

Very interesting as usual for Memphis Basketball

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Penny is a stubborn idiot. Biggest problem with hiring a beloved alum is you usually have to fire them.

Last edited:

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Faragi Phillips from Grenada was also let go. A lot of rumors flying around but looks like Rick and Penny had a disagreement over something they couldn’t get past according to an AAU coach on the radio today. Other college coaches don’t seem to think much of Penny.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ah, Memphis basketball. Times change, but that cluster17 doesn't.
They had 4 great years with Dana Kirk and 4 great years with Calipari. Other than that, pretty decent low-level program but nothing special at all.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I have no idea if it's a fit or makes any sense at all, but I'd kinda like Rick being involved with our program again. It's a tough game, but I always liked the way he consistently had great athletes who played hard and did the fundamental things that really matter.

Felt bad about how it ended for him, even though I agreed it was time for a change. Just not the 17'n change we got.

Penny will be gone in less than a year. No chance he's got a long term future there.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Gary Parish now reporting that Memphis has acknowledged handing over a letter to the NCAA that alleges major recruiting violations, and it’s not exactly a coincidence that this coincides with the firings.

I don’t know how you get into trouble with the NCAA in this day and age, but it sounds like Memphis knows that they’re busted, and they’re trying to get out ahead of it by firing some scapegoats

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Gary Parish now reporting that Memphis has acknowledged handing over a letter to the NCAA that alleges major recruiting violations, and it’s not exactly a coincidence that this coincides with the firings.

I don’t know how you get into trouble with the NCAA in this day and age, but it sounds like Memphis knows that they’re busted, and they’re trying to get out ahead of it by firing some scapegoats

engie

May 29, 2011

Going to get out of all the buyouts for a slap on the wrist most likely

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login