Rickea Jackson just put her name in the portal

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Im not sure you can build a program the way Vic did anymore

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I know McCray Pinson wasn’t a good coach and didn’t work out here, but she had to resign because she has cancer. Low blow to say she quit. Very inappropriate.

expireddog

Oct 4, 2013
I’m fine with the transfer portal, but doing it in the middle of the season is straight up quitting!

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
McCray Pinson was a bad hire………..

But the lady had to step down because of cancer. She is not a quitter. She is playing the game of her life, and I hope she kicks its ***!

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Unfortunately, it's easy to see why.

Coming from Detroit and being here in Mississippi, she's had three head coaches in three years and let's face it, the chances of Novak being named permanent head coach are slim.

She's likely looking for one of two things and perhaps both: a chance at some stability and perhaps fun.

My guess is she either goes to Texas or back home to Michigan.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"Unfortunately" she quit during the season instead of at least sticking it out the rest of the year. Whether she goes to Michigan or TX or wherever, she can't play now so why? She quit and will always carry that banner if/when State fans remember her just like Dontae Walker

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If she thinks she's at a point where she can't doesn't want to contribute, help the team, and wants to go, do you really want to try to convince someone who doesn't want to be here to stay here?

Besides, Novak's job is just to make sure there is a team now.

Last edited:

RoswellDawg

Jul 25, 2014
Novak coaching show was tonight at 7 pm, did anyone listen to it?

The team played great in the comeback against Georgia last week but got smoked by Arkansas yesterday. Rickea did not have a good game against Ark, 8 pts, 4/15 FG and 0/4 from 3 pt line.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Novak coaching show was tonight at 7 pm, did anyone listen to it?

The team played great in the comeback against Georgia last week but got smoked by Arkansas yesterday. Rickea did not have a good game against Ark, 8 pts, 4/15 FG and 0/4 from 3 pt line.

She should lose a year. There need to be consequences for flat out quitting.

RoswellDawg

Jul 25, 2014
See below statement. Not sure if this coaching situation was in the mix of the player issues but a lot has happened to this in the last 30 days.

Mississippi State women’s basketball has been without assistant coach Malikah Willis for the past month and whether she will return to the program is unclear after a rift between she and Doug Novak, three sources told the Clarion Ledger.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
See below statement. Not sure if this coaching situation was in the mix of the player issues but a lot has happened to this in the last 30 days.

Mississippi State women’s basketball has been without assistant coach Malikah Willis for the past month and whether she will return to the program is unclear after a rift between she and Doug Novak, three sources told the Clarion Ledger.

Penson hired like 6 coaches this off-season and most bolted before she sunk the ship for good. Premonition? Or signs of a doomed coach and program?

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
Wow! So what happens to her this semester? Does she leave school? Lose

scholarship? I mean, you are given a scholarship to PLAY BASKETBALL! If you quit bball, do you also withdraw from school? Would MSU keep her on scholarship this semester given these circumstances? What's in the scholarship contract?

Right in the middle of the year. Sad stuff.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Hard to blame her in my opinion. 3 coaches in 3 years and looking at a 4th with a complete and total rebuild. If she has aspirations of pro ball she needs to find a stable program which will be in post season play next year. Face it and not a knock on NMP but that hire set us back years.

msu71

Mar 3, 2008
A little story. I played basketball many years ago at St. Aloysius in Vicksburg. When we were juniors, we upset Raymond won the district and went to South State before losing. We lost one great player as a senior. On paper, we were loaded coming back the next year. We had a coaching change. 3 players quit after the 2nd game, leaving me as the only senior on the team at point guard. We were short but we hustled. I played with 4 freshmen who got their feet wet. 3 years after I graduated they went to the Big House. I am 73 years old now. When I see these guys in Vicksburg, they all tell me how much they appreciated me not quitting on them. My father always told me to never quit on my teammates. Whatever happened with Rickea should have been worked out. What about all of the other girls who depend on her? This kind of behavior will follow her the rest of her life. Your reputation is more important than any wins and losses. A side note, Brian Hadad is my 3rd cousin.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm going 100 with RJ on this. We don't know ****, collectively or individually and speculate publicly on a college students past, present and future.

She owes us nothing. It's reality now in sports. I wish her the best. She's a fantastic basketball player. And I'm going to guess she's a great person too. I have no reason to think otherwise

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
All I can say is it must have been recent because I saw her and Jordan at every Men's game in November and December. They would sit in my section and they usually had a group of friends with them she seemed to be be happy and having fun.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
Team played better and more aggressive when she was out. We watch every game either on internet or TV, and she has stopped even trying on defense. Doesn't matter how much you score when you let the player your guarding have wide open layups all night.

She could have been great, but the defensive effort was never there.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
A little story. I played basketball many years ago at St. Aloysius in Vicksburg. When we were juniors, we upset Raymond won the district and went to South State before losing. We lost one great player as a senior. On paper, we were loaded coming back the next year. We had a coaching change. 3 players quit after the 2nd game, leaving me as the only senior on the team at point guard. We were short but we hustled. I played with 4 freshmen who got their feet wet. 3 years after I graduated they went to the Big House. I am 73 years old now. When I see these guys in Vicksburg, they all tell me how much they appreciated me not quitting on them. My father always told me to never quit on my teammates. Whatever happened with Rickea should have been worked out. What about all of the other girls who depend on her? This kind of behavior will follow her the rest of her life. Your reputation is more important than any wins and losses. A side note, Brian Hadad is my 3rd cousin.

Thanks for sharing your story. I generally agree with your position that you can't quit when things get tough and bail on your teammates.

However . . . there's a big difference between high school teams and college teams. In high school, you play ball with other kids you've known your entire life. You grew up with your teammates in the same community, and you've shared many experiences with your teammates on various sports teams in the community and outside of sports.

Whereas in college, you play ball with others that are complete strangers to you and are from very different places. I know that some college teammates may become great friends, but today's college teammates are typically together for only 1 or 2 years. That's not a lot of time to develop the close relationships that makes high school sports so special.

I don't blame Rickea for leaving, and I wish her the best of luck. She's a really good basketball player, and I hope she's successful wherever she goes.

SpeckTaker

Nov 1, 2012
Team played better and more aggressive when she was out. We watch every game either on internet or TV, and she has stopped even trying on defense. Doesn't matter how much you score when you let the player your guarding have wide open layups all night.

That’s what I see as well. I thought when she came back we were going to go on a run. Just the opposite happened.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
scholarship? I mean, you are given a scholarship to PLAY BASKETBALL! If you quit bball, do you also withdraw from school? Would MSU keep her on scholarship this semester given these circumstances? What's in the scholarship contract?

If someone cant play due to grades, misconduct, injury, personal issues, etc- they stay on scholarship and are allowed to continue to go to school. It would be pretty 17ing heartless to pull scholarships mid-semester just because a player is no longer on a team.
From what I have read(admittedly little), we dont know the reason(s) behind why she left the team.

The word 'selfish' isnt always bad. Sometimes it is best for all involved parties to be selfish.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I was about to call BS on St. Al going to south state in boys BBall then I saw you were 73. Carry on.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Yeah, there is no question that she quit, and that's a red flag on HER. However that is also why we have the transfer portal (and the one-time free transfer) - so players can leave when coaches do.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"can't contribute"? She scored 27 last Thursday night in a loss and is the SEC's leading women's scorer.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login