Rickea Jackson just put her name in the portal

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Doesn't want to contribute.

Appreciate the feedback and I've made the edit above.

As I mentioned above:

Three head coaches in three years.
Novak not expected to be named permanent head coach so she'd be dealing with a fourth head coach in four years.
Pandemic.
From Detroit, is in Mississippi, and her first coach is in Texas.
I'm shocked she didn't leave when Vic left but McCray did a great job convincing her to stay-- but when you have a second coach leaving, you knew the writing was on the wall.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
You have a talent of making almost all your posts sound condescending. It’s quite the art.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I really don't think we're going to be pulling scholarships for anyone entering the transfer portal for any reason. Just wouldn't be a good look for us and would be used against us in recruiting. In this case, she's alluded to the fact we don't know what's gone on behind the scenes, but it's hard for me to justify quitting a team in the middle of the season (she's far from the first that's done this though).

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Did she pull an Antonio Brown and take off her jersey and head to the locker room in the middle of a game?

Antonio took off all of his upper body clothing and threw them into the crowd. Would have been epic for her to follow that example.

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
Right in the middle of the year. Sad stuff.

I bet there is a lot going on, and has been for the past two seasons that we are not aware of. Athletes of her caliber aren't typically programed to quit. I think there is more to the NMP leaving story.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I bet there is a lot going on, and has been for the past two seasons that we are not aware of. Athletes of her caliber aren't typically programed to quit. I think there is more to the NMP leaving story.

Ding ding ding!!

Aug 28, 2018
More accurately, today's athlete's of her caliber aren't programmed to stick anything out. They're quickly becoming programmed to quit when there are other "better" options.

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
More accurately, today's athlete's of her caliber aren't programmed to stick anything out. They're quickly becoming programmed to quit when there are other "better" options.

I would disagree with you... athletes of her caliber don't leave stable programs that are competing, they leave dysfunctional programs that are either falling apart or not competing. Marginal players transfer out looking for greener pastures (look at the last two transfers we got from Bama, notice we didn't get Ruggs or Smith). She stayed after Vic left and played through a season with a coach who was clearly over her head, then plays for a stop-gap coach. Honestly what do you expect??? And has Cohen shown her any reason to trust his next hire? The days of working for the same company your whole career are long gone.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Exactly. I give her credit for sticking around after Vic left. I would not have blamed her one bit for leaving after her freshman year.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Nothing says you have political aspirations like being proud of your country for electing the 1st black female vice president

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I'm admittedly a band wagon women's basketball fan but I'm curious. Were we making money on WBB when we had it rolling ? I know the great pub and image it was projecting were priceless but were we making money ? For the record I do care and I want us to win big again, it was fun to watch.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I'm admittedly a band wagon women's basketball fan but I'm curious. Were we making money on WBB when we had it rolling ? I know the great pub and image it was projecting were priceless but were we making money ? For the record I do care and I want us to win big again, it was fun to watch.

This; BUT, I'm 71 years old and if I live another 10 years (which is anybody's guess), I doubt our women's program will be anywhere close to where it was at its apex with Vic. Will probably be coasting along as in the pre-Vic days.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Steve Robertson said many times on his podcast that even at its peak, the women’s basketball program was losing money.

I mean... until the second national championship game, season tickets were so cheap that people bought them just to get the BDC points, single game lower bowl tickets were going for couch change, and parking was free. I’m pretty sure the travel costs for the tournament runs outweighed the payouts from the NCAA.

Now... that being said, you couldn’t pay for the exposure beating UConn gave the school.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Steve Robertson said many times on his podcast that even at its peak, the women’s basketball program was losing money.

I mean... until the second national championship game, season tickets were so cheap that people bought them just to get the BDC points, single game lower bowl tickets were going for couch change, and parking was free. I’m pretty sure the travel costs for the tournament runs outweighed the payouts from the NCAA.

Now... that being said, you couldn’t pay for the exposure beating UConn gave the school.

Have another look at Morgan William sticking it in #15's eye:

This was beautiful. Thanks again Morgan!

SpeckTaker

Nov 1, 2012
I would disagree with you... athletes of her caliber don't leave stable programs that are competing, they leave dysfunctional programs that are either falling apart or not competing. Marginal players transfer out looking for greener pastures (look at the last two transfers we got from Bama, notice we didn't get Ruggs or Smith). She stayed after Vic left and played through a season with a coach who was clearly over her head, then plays for a stop-gap coach. Honestly what do you expect??? And has Cohen shown her any reason to trust his next hire? The days of working for the same company your whole career are long gone.
It’s a good thing Jake Mangum and the boys didn’t think like you.

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
Thank you for making my point. Athletes of her caliber don't leave stable programs...case in point...The baseball team still went to the CWS with an interim coach.

Aug 28, 2018
This just goes back to my original point.

"They're quickly becoming programmed to quit when there are other "better" options."

Why would someone want to walk away from a promising situation? My original point was not that they Are programmed to quit when they are at the top, rather when it's easy to quit...when things get difficult.

On a side note, it sounds like--per Robbie-- that RJ's departure was a forced "mutual decision" coming from the University side FWIW.

SpeckTaker

Nov 1, 2012
Thank you for making my point. Athletes of her caliber don't leave stable programs...case in point...The baseball team still went to the CWS with an interim coach.
I got you, but the players can make the program stable by sticking around and supporting their teammates. An us against them mentality goes a lot further than an I’m gonna get mine mindset.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login