Rivals FGF Threads

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
What happens to all of the threads/posts from the Rivals site when it "goes down" on Feb 1? Will Shoe be able to migrate it over here?

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
He's the man to answer that question but I haven't seen any indication they are thinking that way. I believe a fresh start is best anyway. When you build a new house, you buy new furniture.

Reactions: Horseshoe04

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
He's the man to answer that question but I haven't seen any indication they are thinking that way. I believe a fresh start is best anyway. When you build a new house, you buy new furniture.
True, but I would like to leave the old stuff in a storage bin for a short period of time to see what I might end up needing.

This is my new temporary avatar. It's taken on US 21 on Harbor Island looking north towards the new bridge over the Harbor River, which opened in April 2021. The views of St. Helena Sound, the Atlantic Ocean, and Edisto Beach (11km across the sound) from atop the bridge are outstanding.

One more draw bridge in SC is now retired. Now only one left in Beaufort County - The Woods Bridge connecting downtown Beaufort with Lady's Island.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
There are Python libraries that can be used to write a screen scraper script, tailored for parsing all the posts in a forum thread or threads and saving them to XML or JSON data files. I've come across several written specifically for vBulletin based forums, but not a single one specifically for Rivals (or even 247sports) forums. I would think it wouldn't take too much work to adapt a vBulletin export script to Rivals, given most boards implement threads the same way. The problem is, I don't know how much longer the Rivals.com board will stay up (if at all) past Feb 1. Less than a week is just not enough time for me to tinker with it while working all this week.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
True, but I would like to leave the old stuff in a storage bin for a short period of time to see what I might end up needing.

This is my new temporary avatar. It's taken on US 21 on Harbor Island looking north towards the new bridge over the Harbor River, which opened in April 2021. The views of St. Helena Sound, the Atlantic Ocean, and Edisto Beach (11km across the sound) from atop the bridge are outstanding.

One more draw bridge in SC is now retired. Now only one left in Beaufort County - The Woods Bridge connecting downtown Beaufort with Lady's Island.
I'm sorry. I'm not seeing what you describe.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I'm sorry. I'm not seeing what you describe.
Yeah, you won't. I'm trying to resize the my old avatar to fit. And that's what's currently showing.

BONUS. This new site allows us to attach files directly to a message. Now you should be able to see the photo, attached to the message.

Attachments

• new Harbor Island bridge.jpg
    new Harbor Island bridge.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
What happens to all of the threads/posts from the Rivals site when it "goes down" on Feb 1? Will Shoe be able to migrate it over here?

They will move to the cloud and a hot air balloon with digital tracking on board will be required to reach them

Reactions: HillsToSea

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Need to find a way to save the infamous "Irish Traveller" thread. That may have been the best ever.

• Haha
Reactions: King Ward

Legendary Cock

Joined Aug 6, 2014
Jan 22, 2022
One thing that has migrated over: the "He of a Thousand Usernames" Troll.

Looks like he's started over at the beginning here.

Reactions: Horseshoe04

Myrtlecock

Joined Nov 30, 1998
Jan 23, 2022
Holy mother of God! You mean we can actually post a picture from our phone here without using a stupid image hosting site? Will wonders ever cease? It's been my biggest criticism of rivals for the last 20 years. Here's the sun rising over the Atlantic from Windy Hill on New Year's Day to commemorate such a new beginning. Lol.... Looks like I'll have to resize it! šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

Attachments

• 20211230_072424~2.jpg
    20211230_072424~2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6

Fowlmoodin99

Joined Oct 28, 1998
Jan 20, 2022
Yeah, you won't. I'm trying to resize the my old avatar to fit. And that's what's currently showing.

BONUS. This new site allows us to attach files directly to a message. Now you should be able to see the photo, attached to the message.
So basically, we just upload from our device, we don't need an irl anymore for avatar or files?

Reactions: Myrtlecock

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
So basically, we just upload from our device, we don't need an irl anymore for avatar or files?
I uploaded my avatar on both the old and new sites. In addition, the new site allows me to upload a file to attach to an individual message.

This photo was taken last spring, about a month or so after the new Harbor Island Bridge opened. The old span has since been removed.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022

You've touched on something. I wish the avatar field could be a little larger.

Lakecock1

Joined June 16, 2015 ā€¢ Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Even though it's an amicable divorce, Shoe didn't get custody of the Rivals articles. Perhaps the threads can be relocated to archives, but doubtful.

burr

Jan 22, 2022

Hwy 9 - LittleRiver over to CherryGrove still operates.

Horseshoe04

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Jan 21, 2022
No need to waste bandwidth on duplicates of threads that didnā€™t need to start in the first place

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Hwy 9 - LittleRiver over to CherryGrove still operates.
As does the Wappoo Creek bridge connecting James Island and West Ashley, and US 17 connecting West Ashley with the peninsula.

Any others left in the state?

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
When I built my house in 2014, I didnā€™t buy all new furniture.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
When I built my house in 2014, I didnā€™t buy all new furniture.
Maybe your furniture was pretty good. You wouldn't have moved shabby or dated furniture in there, I'm sure. Most people opt for new furniture. Most people need it.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Holy mother of God! You mean we can actually post a picture from our phone here without using a stupid image hosting site? Will wonders ever cease? It's been my biggest criticism of rivals for the last 20 years. Here's the sun rising over the Atlantic from Windy Hill on New Year's Day to commemorate such a new beginning. Lol.... Looks like I'll have to resize it! šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜†
Looks like the date on the pic is Dec 30th?

Reactions: Myrtlecock

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
I was about to ask you the same thing.šŸ˜‰
I forgot to hit reply to a post so it kinda hangs there. Tried to delete but only option I could find was edit. I've deleted several posts after posting that I thought better of within 10 seconds. So we can't delete posts anymore? Also want to get rid of the purple default avatar.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I forgot to hit reply to a post so it kinda hangs there. Tried to delete but only option I could find was edit. I've deleted several posts after posting that I thought better of within 10 seconds. So we can't delete posts anymore? Also want to get rid of the purple default avatar.
The avatar is easy. You can import from your desktop. Go to Settings and use the upload field.

Reactions: Gamecock Jaques

GamecockJL

Joined Aug 30, 2015
Jan 17, 2022
I saw another On3 site the other day that seemed to have threads going back nearly 20 years. They must have had a merge of some sort.