Rogers labeled a "Dink and Dunk" QB by ESPN

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Guess who else was labeled "Dink and Dunk"? Tom Brady

My thought was this label keeps him out of the Heisman conversation.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

He is a dink and dunk QB and he doesn't belong in the Heisman discussion.

Feb 23, 2008
They’re not wrong. But I don’t think it’s all Rogers fault for that.

We dial up way too many bubble screens. Which worked great yesterday when the other team didn’t have adequate athletes to block but against a conference opponent, I’ve rarely seen those go for much yardage. You’re very very seldomly going to get lucky and see a missed tackle and without that, the play is pretty much pointless. And I’m not sold on some of our receivers blocking against top athletes. Williams especially. Of course I guess maybe some of it is on Rogers since I’m sure he has control out there to change the calls. What sucks to me about it is when he just lets it loose downfield, he throws a pretty good ball and is accurate. I don’t know if it’s confidence in his arm or what.

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I can't put much stock in a "dink and dunk" label. It can make false assumptions and fails to give credit to defenses who properly execute their game plan (e.g. take away the deep ball or create QB pressure or both)

Air Raid attempts to flip the script of "taking what the defense gives." I prefer to view it as "death by 1000 cuts"

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
He is a dink and dunk, because that is our primary running game also.

That is our offense by design.

See Peyton Manning.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I agree that the bubble screens aren't going to work against the LSUs, TAMs or Arkys. In fact, teams are beginning to play us straight up again instead of the 3 man front. I think the SEC teams will do that because they have the talent to hang with our receivers one on one. If you couple that with officials this year allowing interference expect man on man coverage. LSU blitzed on every play in the 4th quarter and we didn't have an answer except on one drive and Will threw behind the receiver at the goal line for an interception. We end up with a lot of 3rd and short taking what the defense gives us. I hope this week we're working on two plays we will need against SEC opponents. We've got to pass over the defense like Arky did for the big TD early in the game or get the ball to RBs out of the backfield when they blitz.

As far as D&D is concerned I'll take what the defense gives us for high percentage passing. I think Will has improved where he throws the ball this year. I've noticed most of his passes are in a spot where it is impossible for the defensive player to intercept it. That will serve him well if he makes it to the NFL.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020

His longest pass of the season is 35 yards. Sure, he throws a pretty ball 30-40 yards. But he gets very little YAC help from any of the receivers. Therefore his yards per attempt are in the bottom half of SEC quarterbacks.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
That is our offense by design.

Yep. Rogers dinks and dunks because of the offensive scheme.

The offense is dink and dunk because that is how teams defend Leach's air raid. Defenses keep two high safeties and play everything in front of them. Thus all that is open is underneath.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Pretty much matches my view. 400 yds and 6 TDs is 400 yds and 6 TDs no matter how people want to label it. If it takes longer than some offenses, even better to chew up clock and keep the defense off the field.

The only catch is that you’ve got to occasionally be able to mix things up when defenses take those short options away, and we failed to do that against LSU, but that hasn’t been the norm

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think our 7-5 record keeps him out of the Heisman conversation.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Did any of you watch the BG game ? He takes what's available. Unfortunately everyone drops deep and covers our receivers. He hit some good ones yesterday because that junior college team gave him time and could not cover. And I am pretty sure our yac yardage is pretty good.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I prefer Slice and Dice but the observation isn’t that far off. Rogers can throw accurate balls out to 30+ yds and he has many times but it’s not what this offense is geared to do unfortunately. I don’t think that would change even with Bryce Young taking snaps.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'll take Rogers over any starting SEC quarterback, 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Sadly he's not at NFL pro bowl level yet. But y'all keep bitching like the PMS pro bowl champs that you are 👍

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
I'll take Rogers over any starting SEC quarterback, 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Sadly he's not at NFL pro bowl level yet. But y'all keep bitching like the PMS pro bowl champs that you are 👍

I will take Bryce Young on Saturdays and Will Levis on Sundays.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
We dial up way too many bubble screens. Which worked great yesterday when the other team didn’t have adequate athletes to block but against a conference opponent, I’ve rarely seen those go for much yardage. You’re very very seldomly going to get lucky and see a missed tackle and without that, the play is pretty much pointless. And I’m not sold on some of our receivers blocking against top athletes. Williams especially. Of course I guess maybe some of it is on Rogers since I’m sure he has control out there to change the calls. What sucks to me about it is when he just lets it loose downfield, he throws a pretty good ball and is accurate. I don’t know if it’s confidence in his arm or what.

We still had a couple almost "picked 6" on us. For the love of humanity, please don't call that when Rufus is in the lineup. Dude is too small to block guys out.

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
I don’t see where it matters if it’s dink or dunk, or not. Yards are yards, touchdowns are touchdowns, and most of all, wins are wins. Wins that are accomplished by a hundred attempts are equal to wins accomplished via Hail Marys.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Next time look at the protection he has and the receivers he throws to. Then you can adjust your estimations. Yes he has better wheels but not a better eye and arm and not a better heart.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
It's society today. People want to see Homeruns and Dunks, they want highlights almost more than they want to win. So the instant-gratification, ESPN Top-10 watching crowd doesn't get too excited - in fact, hardly ever sees - Will Rogers throw a ball.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
For some reason people don't look at the OL or WRs when they talk about QBs. Any QB will look like a world beater in the Bummer offense with world class talent at every position. Bryce Young for athleticism but Will Rogers for pure drop back QB mechanics.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
YAC is a big one. If he hits a reciever 5 yards down field and that receiver breaks off a 75 yard scamper then Will gets credit for an 80 yard completion. Unfortunately, our WRs haven't accomplished that feat yet. Here's hoping that we will see some improvement in that area!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I heard one of the TV analysts saying that he was labeled a dink and dunk but that was because he took what this offense would give him. Guy stated that Will can "make all the throws".

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
He is averaging 35 completions per game for an average of 346.5 yards per game. I'm no mathematician but that seems awfully close to 10 yards a pop. Ducking has 21 catches for 258 yards. Neither of these stats are amazing but ya gotta admit it's been an improvement every year. Obviously they have played some inferior competition so far this season. Saturday is gonna be very interesting.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
He has some limitations but he’s still a very good player for us. And we’d probably be in big trouble if he got injured this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login