Roman Abramovich sanctioned by the UK…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Assets including Chelsea FC frozen and cannot be sold.

[FONT="]BREAKINGRoman Abramovich has been sanctioned by the Government and his asserts - including Chelsea Football Club - have been frozenChelsea have been given a special licence to continue with football related activities but the sale effectively bars the sale of the club— Steven Swinford (@Steven_Swinford) March 10, 2022 [/FONT]

Aug 22, 2012
Is anyone else uncomfortable with a private citizen's assets being frozen?

Maybe this guy is leading the Russian military. If that's true, great. Go get him. But if he's not, why are we taking his property?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Who is "we?" Last I checked the 5th Amendment does not apply in the U.K.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

Maybe this guy is leading the Russian military. If that's true, great. Go get him. But if he's not, why are we taking his property?

Are you in the United Kingdom?

patdog

May 28, 2007
A little bit, yeah. In this case, the guy is about as dirty as they come and this probably should have happened decades ago. But there's been no due process and the only real reason given is he's a friend of Putin. I've seen a lot in the last couple of years from supposedly "free" countries that make me appreciate the USA a lot more than I did. Even though we're not as free as we were 20-30 years ago ourselves.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Governments specialize in selective enforcement. They already have a list of malfeasances this person is guilty of. They were just waiting for the right situation to apply it. Happens a lot more often than we know.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I learned the other day the right to remain silent in Russia is called the “51st”. Some lady had been arrested and was telling them she wouldn’t talk.

Anyway - they beat the **** out of her. Glad I don’t live there.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This tweet made me laugh but then I'm an Arsenal fan...

As Chelsea face up to a trophyless future with no money to spend on transfers, football fans begin to wonder how long government sanctions have been in place at Tottenham.— Have I Got News For You (@haveigotnews) March 10, 2022

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
As a Liverpool fan😀. They have been flaunting the FFP rules for years. They cheat just like their owner used his connections to Putin to become a mega billionaire. He is not exactly a private citizen. He should have been sanctioned years ago. Assets get seized in war. My guess is he get them back if Putin settles peacefully with something Ukraine can live with. If he doesn't those are gone, and rightfully so.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I just read what it means to the club. They can't buy or sell players. They can't offer new contracts to existing players. They can't sell any ticket. The club can not be sold. That will kill the club if this goes on for very long. I can't say I feel sorry for them. Watching them flaunt the FFP rules for years leaves no room for that.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Abromavich had been posturing to try to avoid this. What provoked it was the farce of him putting them up for sale with the proceeds going to charity, then rejecting all the bids as being too low. He had no intentions of selling.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That's an interesting principle. I guess we're great with journalists being killed because there is no first amendment in Iran.
Because that’s the same thing as a Russian billionaire oligarch being separated from his toys*

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
A little bit, yeah. In this case, the guy is about as dirty as they come and this probably should have happened decades ago. But there's been no due process and the only real reason given is he's a friend of Putin. I've seen a lot in the last couple of years from supposedly "free" countries that make me appreciate the USA a lot more than I did. Even though we're not as free as we were 20-30 years ago ourselves.

I don’t think it matters where you live….don’t sidle up and befriend an international dickhead who is cut from the same cloth as Hitler. And as a prerequisite to that, don’t steamroll and manipulate those around you with a level of corruption required to obtain said friendship. Simply avoid those two pitfalls, and your freedom will be just fine. I know myself and everyone who I’ve ever met have had no issues with those two things.

Aug 22, 2012
Because that’s the same thing as a Russian billionaire oligarch being separated from his toys*

I'm really only interested in your principles if you apply them to the worst kind of people. If they're only for the people you like, then they aren't principles, they're whims.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm really only interested in your principles if you apply them to the worst kind of people. If they're only for the people you like, then they aren't principles, they're whims.

Donny, you're out of your element.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Well it couldn't possibly be more obvious but I'll explain anyway. The world is trying to put pressure on the only people inside Russia that may have the power to remove Putin. Scumbag Russian mobster billionaires that own very high profile soccer teams are at the very top of that list. Once these scumbags finally overthrow their piece of **** Führ then maybe they can have their toys back. You should care more about trying to help Ukraine than trying to save toys for scumbags. It's not a good look for you. js

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Assets are frozen all the time. Even with regular schmucks like us. Don't believe me, piss your old lady off bad enough and you'll see a 2 bit lawyer convince a judge that you as well are a Russian Oligarch.***

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I'm ok with cutting off anybody, everybody, and anything associated with Russia from the rest of the world. Isolate those brainwashed communist ***** as much as we can for what they did to my 401K.

And gas prices.

Aug 22, 2012
All the people who are celebrating stuff like this will be up in arms when they decide to freeze the assets of someone they agree with, like people who gave money to the truckers in Canada for instance.

Stuff like this is a trial run for when the government decides that because you don't hold "appropriate" views on something, they're going to have to seize your property.

Also, this is also a test case for who would've been cool with internment camps back in the day. But by all means keep pouring out your vodka to own Putin.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. It's all well and good when it's someone we don't like, and in this case, someone who really does deserve it. But if they can seize his assets without due process, who will they go after next?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Good gosh man, you are stretching this rubber band back from your fingertip to your bunghole. These Oligarchs enable Putin (the murderous, autocratic, war criminal, who has had the constitution changed twice at gunpoint to stay in power for 23 years.)

If we do get to the internment camp phase, I say we start with everyone that's rootin for Putin. Not many issues in this world are cut and dry with zero nuance... Shoving it up Putin and the oligarchs butt six ways from sundown, is one of those rare occasions where everyone should be on the same page.

Again, freezing assets has been around forever, it gets used all the time in criminal and civil matters. The oligarchs are financing terrorism at this point 17 em all. And if you don't like it, you can go meet glfr at south farm right after gets done with BoomBoom.**

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
Thinking this could remotely apply to you is peak dumb.

Russian oligarchs start to have their yachts and football club seized in the middle of an unprovoked invasion into Europe, and your first thought is, "That billionaire might as well be me!"

I hate to break it to you, but nobody is going to come and take your 2014 Ford King Ranch covered in "Lets go Brandon" and "Lock Her Up" bumper stickers because you refuse to stop yelling the pledge of allegiance over your Chicken n' Dumplins at the Cracker Barrel.

Aug 22, 2012
The only sticker on my sedan says MSU 2021 National Champions.

The same justification you’re using to take this dudes stuff is being used by Russia to take parts or even all of Ukraine. If you don’t see the irony, that’s on you.

If we want to the world to follow our principles we need to stick to them ourselves.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The only sticker on my sedan says MSU 2021 National Champions.

The same justification you’re using to take this dudes stuff is being used by Russia to take parts or even all of Ukraine. If you don’t see the irony, that’s on you.

If we want to the world to follow our principles we need to stick to them ourselves.

But what if there are clauses in ownership and banking over in England that allow this to happen? Then, if someone chooses to do banking and own businesses there, they are agreeing to the established laws.
At that point, your argument sucks because the plutocrats and oligarchs are willingly entering into the agreement.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Russian oligarchs start to have their yachts and football club seized in the middle of an unprovoked invasion into Europe, and your first thought is, "That billionaire might as well be me!"

I hate to break it to you, but nobody is going to come and take your 2014 Ford King Ranch covered in "Lets go Brandon" and "Lock Her Up" bumper stickers because you refuse to stop yelling the pledge of allegiance over your Chicken n' Dumplins at the Cracker Barrel.

This is a pretty stupid take considering the denial of services we've already seen both in the US and Canada. Yes, if this type of action is limited to Russian billionaires that are Putin supporters, that seems fine. I don't know how discerning they are being with this type stuff though. I don't know that say banning Russian nationals from work or competitions even if they have vocally spoken up against the war and Putin (which actually puts them and their families at risk anytime they are on Russian soil and possibly outside of Russia depending on how pissed Putin gets) is helpful or productive. I assume most (all?) Russian billionaires got their money through graft and cozying up to Putin or his predecessors and then Putin, so it's very likely this is pretty reasonable, but people/governments are not, as far as I can tell, following a principal of only russian nationals that are culpable for the war in some way are being subjected to punishments.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Y'all are gonna really freak when you find out how much **** we took from Nazi sympathizers in 1945

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
You're missing the point of the moves to seize assets and block services.

This is not some punitive decision based on who supports Putin. This is a concentrated effort to have Putin removed by hook or by crook. By seizing assets of the oligarchs, you are pressuring Putin from the sides, and by stopping services, you are putting pressure on him from below.

Chuck Yeager

Apr 6, 2020
All the people who are celebrating stuff like this will be up in arms when they decide to freeze the assets of someone they agree with, like people who gave money to the truckers in Canada for instance.

Stuff like this is a trial run for when the government decides that because you don't hold "appropriate" views on something, they're going to have to seize your property.

Also, this is also a test case for who would've been cool with internment camps back in the day. But by all means keep pouring out your vodka to own Putin.

Providing a little help to your cause. Amazing what people believe. Ukraine on Fire documentary by Oliver Stone is a good documentary on this.

View attachment 24033View attachment 24034View attachment 24037View attachment 24041View attachment 24042View attachment 24043

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
^^This looks like a well researched, sourced, and cited argument. Have you looked at publishing it in a peer reviewed journal Professor Yeager?**

Peer: "How did you come to your conclusions?"
Yeager "Oh I watched an Oliver Stone flick and found some memes I liked."

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This is not some punitive decision based on who supports Putin. This is a concentrated effort to have Putin removed by hook or by crook. By seizing assets of the oligarchs, you are pressuring Putin from the sides, and by stopping services, you are putting pressure on him from below.

I understand the point, and I'm just pointing out that I'm not comfortable with it. We've been punishing Cubans for decades now for being unable to overthrow Castro. That seems a little harsh. We're punishing Russians now to try to force an uprising against Putin. For Oligarch's supporting Putin, that seems like a pretty reasonable stance. For random Russian nationals/citizens? I'm not sure they have the type of culpability that means punishing them is justified. I have pretty strong I have a pretty strong disinclination to punish innocent people in order to accomplish a policy goal. Not saying I wouldn't ever support it on utilitarian grounds and some sort of imputed guilt, but I'd want the result to be pretty likely.

idog

Aug 17, 2010
I just read what it means to the club. They can't buy or sell players. They can't offer new contracts to existing players. They can't sell any ticket. The club can not be sold. That will kill the club if this goes on for very long. I can't say I feel sorry for them. Watching them flaunt the FFP rules for years leaves no room for that.

so, the players may not get paid? if so, i'd get the hell out of there as soon as my first missing pay check bc that is likely a breach of their contract. are we going to see a mass exodus? Pulisic needs to leave anyway.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
I feel bad for a lot of Russians in this whole situation, too.

There's a big segment that hates this war, and protesters are getting arrested by the thousands. Not to mention the 18 year olds being thrown into Ukraine and blown to hell, and all for what?

But at the same time, I think a coordinated effort is our best chance. half-assing it will never work. Make it clear that Russia can't be a part of the global economy or culture as long as they are lead by a madman invading a sovereign country.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Players still get paid for now but idk whose footing the bill. Pulisic wasn't in their starting lineup today. I'm guessing he's done.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I understand the point, and I'm just pointing out that I'm not comfortable with it. We've been punishing Cubans for decades now for being unable to overthrow Castro. That seems a little harsh. We're punishing Russians now to try to force an uprising against Putin. For Oligarch's supporting Putin, that seems like a pretty reasonable stance. For random Russian nationals/citizens? I'm not sure they have the type of culpability that means punishing them is justified. I have pretty strong I have a pretty strong disinclination to punish innocent people in order to accomplish a policy goal. Not saying I wouldn't ever support it on utilitarian grounds and some sort of imputed guilt, but I'd want the result to be pretty likely.

Would you had put sanctions on Germany (and its people) to force Hitler out? Sometimes the greater good is more important than individual rights if the "punishments" given are measured and executed under the rule of law. And the Russian people like the people of Nazi Germany are not totally innocent as they allowed the culture of hate,violence and corruption to fester in their own country.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
The Brits learned the hard way about being a bunch of Neville Chamberlains instead of Winston Churchill. In case of war, if you act or challenge a Churchill method, you are a Neville Chamberlain just that simple and absolute. If you are on the fence, you are a Neville Chamberlain, just that simple and absolute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login