Root canal or pull tooth

Sep 12, 2013
Got a big *** cavity in a tooth on the back lower left.

What would the pack do?

ETA I’m only 33. Age should play a factor here

Last edited:

Jrobb

May 26, 2020
Every situation is different. Is the tooth worth restoring/chance of success? Is there an opposing tooth that will give you problems if you extract it? Finances etc cause it ain’t cheap. There are consequences to both? What was your dentists advice? That’s the first place to start

archdog

Aug 22, 2012

What would the pack do?

No idea what your long term financial plans are, but I had a root canal done, and it wasn’t really that bad. Not really that expensive, but not really the best scenario for long term gum health. Now, I had an implant done on a gap I had due to a primary tooth not having an adult tooth to follow done in January. Although it cost around 4K, I have been thrilled with it.

Sep 12, 2013
The root canal is only going to be like $800. I don’t know about how long a root canal is good for anything, if it would cause me trouble down the road.

The dentist suggested root canal because the cavity is pretty big, real close to the nerve.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
If you do root canal, you'll be replacing the cap at some point down the road. And you'll likely get an implant anyway.

IMO, it depends on your insurance. I got an implant around that age and it's the best tooth in my head. Problem is that an extraction and implant wasn't fully covered like a root canal and a cap with my insurance. It cost me around $2000 out of pocket to do the implant. Root canal and cap was nothing.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
A lot mo money is going to be made off root canals, so that is what you'll be pushed towards. I'm 55 and I'd have the tooth pulled if it were a back tooth.

Recently my friend was faced with this decision, he chose the root canal, after several thousand dollars and several dentists/oral surgeon trips, the tooth eventually had to be pulled, he was late 50s at the time.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Adding to your thoughts, I’d suggest getting AFLAC Supplemental Dental Insurance.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If you pull it the top tooth will pull down causing other issues. I had one pulled while in Marine Corps. My unit was deploying and I could not deploy with them because of a cavity in back bottom tooth. The number 1 health issue during Vietnam was tooth decade. So the Marine Corps started giving ratings on your teeth if you can deploy or not. A root canal was going to be three weeks away. My unit was deploying in three days. They could pull it that day. I wasn't going to let my buddies go with out me. So I had them pull it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Definitely get the root canal if the tooth can be saved. You might want to get a second opinion on that. I can strongly recommend Dr. Chad Stokes if you're in the Jackson area.

Edited to fix a completely wrong recommendation.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Same situation for me probably 10 years ago. Had the root canal ($700ish) and no problems since

Last edited:

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Pull it, I’ve had a long root canal on a back molar that eventually didn’t work but extracting the tooth solved all of the pain,

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
Get the implant. I had a root canal and it got infected and had to do emergency surgery at St. D. Literally almost died on the table. Ludwig Syndrome is REAL!!! It’s what cost George Washington his life….

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I'll never do another root canal. Implants are the way to go for geezers. For a 33 y/o......not so sure.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm not a dentist and I didn't stay in a holiday inn express last night. Root canal hurt like a ***** but I still have a "tooth" and didn't have to do implant

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I'm not a dentist and I didn't stay in a holiday inn express last night. Root canal hurt like a ***** but I still have a "tooth" and didn't have to do implant

Pay a little extra for anesthesia and it doesn't hurt at all.

Carlton31698

Mar 3, 2008
I had a bad lower back tooth, got it pulled, they didn't tell me the tooth above that one will become a problem because it isn't help in place when your mouth is closed. Had to have it pulled later on. I would fix the tooth if you can.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Pull tooth, have it grafted. Come back and place implant in 3-4 months.

What would the pack do?

Root Canal is pre implant therapy. You are going to lose the root canal at some point and then need an implant.

Feb 20, 2011
Root Canal is pre implant therapy. You are going to lose the root canal at some point and then need an implant.
This.

Happened to me. I had a root canal with crown. Eventually, the tooth underneath the crown cracked and it had to be pulled. Now I have an implant.

Whether or not the OP has it pulled or has a root canal, it will likely eventually end up with an implant. If money is an issue and you want to kick the can down the road, go with the root canal now. Otherwise, just go ahead and have it pulled and start the implant process in the next couple of years.

tmjdog

Mar 3, 2008
Get advice from your dentist, but if it’s 3rd molar I’d go extraction. Anything else, root canal. Good luck. Hail State.

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
Root canal and crown. If needed replace crown in a decade or two. If worse get and implant. At your age you may be able to get a bionic tooth by then.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Had a front tooth, root canal

longer ago than I can say. I still have it. (while in college)

If a front tooth, get the root canal.

Back tooth, probably not, depends on your age.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Pull the SOB. End of story. If it’s in the back on the bottom, you’ll never miss it-other than the pain. I’m not sure about implants at this point-seems like a major ripoff at this point-on the other hand, I’m 67 years old these days. 17 a bunch of implants at $4000/tooth. A full set of dentures costs less than that/and there are a lot of great products that will hold dentures in place at this point lol

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Implants you would never even notice once complete.

Also, you may miss that tooth in the back. Potato chips are sharp as hell.

Jun 4, 2007
Years ago, a dentist said I need a RC and crown to the tune of $3500 out of pocket. It was in the back and barely contacting the tooth above. I called him back to make sure that was the right call, and he was adamant.

Then, I got a second opinion, and he said to pull it. It ended up being $800, and that tooth hasn’t given me any trouble since.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login