Ross Dellenger: district court could strike down transfer waiver rule.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

What a s-show. So if this goes through a kid can renegotiate his NIL deal every year. Do these people all know what they are doing here? I said a year ago the portal is the problem. Not NIL. And this will make it all worse.

Reactions: AFDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
What a s-show. So if this goes through a kid can renegotiate his NIL deal every year. Do these people all know what they are doing here? I said a year ago the portal is the problem. Not NIL. And this will make it all worse.
At some point there has to be a breaking point on all this

Reactions: WilCoDawg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
At some point there has to be a breaking point on all this
Yeah but right now CFB is as popular as ever so we are in a weird place where everyone hates everything about how it’s run except for the games themselves which is all the sport needs.

It’s also incredibly bothersome that private entities can’t make their own rules for the most part. Not everything needs to be subject to constitutional/legal challenges. I get there are basic laws that have to be followed.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We really need congressional action.

Also, if we were completely starting fresh, the idea that players would have to sit out just because they switched schools would be a tough sell.

Reactions: Raiderdawg

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Who will be the first program to say, "We are done. We are out. Call us when sanity returns." ????

Reactions: Anon1669338224

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
NLRB was right as rain a few years ago.
Collective bargaining unions will be here soon for

Individual Institutions
Conferences
Players

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
All witnesses have testified. Judge will issue his ruling in about 45 minutes.
If you read some of the quotes from testimony the athletes are saying the quiet part out loud. That NIL is pay to play and not actually NIL.

the judge should have asked “if you claim you have an NIL value how is the inability to transfer hindering that?”

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Who will be the first program to say, "We are done. We are out. Call us when sanity returns." ????
Why would anyone in a power conference do that? This whole transfer portal and NIL is not costing the schools a dime. It’s all on donors to pay the freight for NIL. Now coaches may say the hell with it and try to go to NFL.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010

Also, if we were completely starting fresh, the idea that players would have to sit out just because they switched schools would be a tough sell.
And the next idea we'd have would be that we wouldn't want them to transfer only for money. So let's make a rule saying they cant collect NIL for that first year after a transfer and see if they still want to go to that new school bad enough.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

The courts have 17d up college football. Congress will have to make it law so these judges can't keep screwing with it

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. The last domino to fall will be the academic side. Eligibility requirements will be out the window, aside from athletes simply having to meet whatever the most basic requirements are to stay enrolled at the university.

It’s all pretty sobering. None of these athletes care about the school or the fans, at all. Thus, there’s no real identity or cameraderie left to hang onto. I haven’t been inside DWS and wasted in-person money or time on this awful semi-pro product since 2017. And at this point, I feel more confident than ever in saying I won’t ever be there again. 17 em all.

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
No one is forcing players to play for NCAA affiliated schools, right? Why is our government getting involved?

I agree they should be able to earn money off of themselves, although that's not what's happening at all, but there's not much to be done about that currently.

Are these NCAA bylaws acting in a way that's against US Federal law?

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The court is doing exactly what they are supposed to do, and that is to end ******** restrictions that forces a part of the population to not have the same rights as anyone else.
Students can transfer to any school that accepts them at anytime, for any reason. Athletes deserve no less of the same opportunity.
You can cry, moan, and groan, all you want.... but is anyone on here going to say that Student Athletes shouldn't have the ability to study at whichever school should want them?
If anything, transfers should have to count double against the schools scholarship limits the entire time they are on campus and triple if they transfer more than once.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah but right now CFB is as popular as ever so we are in a weird place where everyone hates everything about how it’s run except for the games themselves which is all the sport needs.

It’s also incredibly bothersome that private entities can’t make their own rules for the most part. Not everything needs to be subject to constitutional/legal challenges. I get there are basic laws that have to be followed.
The vast majority of schools in the NCAA are public universities, at least the ones that are effected by this.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Didn't read it, but let them transfer, accept NIL funds, etc., but not participate on the team for a one season.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The courts have 17d up college football. Congress will have to make it law so these judges can't keep screwing with it
A law will be challenged and destroyed the week it is created. You guys are all talking about a group of students not having the same rights as other students. Those rights being, the ability to transfer to any school that accepts them and the right to make money any legal means possible while being a student.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The court is doing exactly what they are supposed to do, and that is to end ******** restrictions that forces a part of the population to not have the same rights as anyone else.
Students can transfer to any school that accepts them at anytime, for any reason. Athletes deserve no less of the same opportunity.
You can cry, moan, and groan, all you want.... but is anyone on here going to say that Student Athletes shouldn't have the ability to study at whichever school should want them?
If anything, transfers should have to count double against the schools scholarship limits the entire time they are on campus and triple if they transfer more than once.
Nothing is preventing a kid from transferring like any other kid. Absolutely nothing. There is nothing wrong with a private organization setting some competitive rules.

And the ncaa is a private organization. I don’t think any of these NIL or transfer rulings hinge on the fact some schools are public. These aren’t lawsuits about being treated equally. Theh are just lawsuits being thrown under the murky umbrella of antitrust.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
No one is forcing players to play for NCAA affiliated schools, right? Why is our government getting involved?

I agree they should be able to earn money off of themselves, although that's not what's happening at all, but there's not much to be done about that currently.

Are these NCAA bylaws acting in a way that's against US Federal law?
Yes, the Bylaws are acting in a way that's against US Federal law and they have been for the better part of 50 years. Players just got the balls to say, "Why is everyone else allowed to transfer, yet I am not?" and "Why is the NCAA, the conference, the school, etc all allowed to make money off of my work, when all other students are allowed to make money during school?"

This all could have been avoided if, if, if, schools were willing 10 years ago to give all student athletes 10% per year of their TV money.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Nothing is preventing a kid from transferring like any other kid. Absolutely nothing. There is nothing wrong with a private organization setting some competitive rules.

And the ncaa is a private organization. I don’t think any of these NIL or transfer rulings hinge on the fact some schools are public. These aren’t lawsuits about being treated equally. Theh are just lawsuits being thrown under the murky umbrella of antitrust.
The NCAA is a private organization, but they deal with public entities and when you do that the public entity has a right to discuss the rules and regulations initiated against their members. Now if the NCAA wants to only interact with private schools.... well by all means.

Players also cannot transfer as they see fit. They transfer and have to get a waiver from the all knowing NCAA to play. Even the first time transfers has to officially do this. Want to see an issue, just look at Spivey this year. There is no reason why Spivey should not be allowed to play, yet the NCAA ruled him ineligible, which was bullsht.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login