Ross Dellenger: district court could strike down transfer waiver rule.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Yes, the Bylaws are acting in a way that's against US Federal law and they have been for the better part of 50 years. Players just got the balls to say, "Why is everyone else allowed to transfer, yet I am not?" and "Why is the NCAA, the conference, the school, etc all allowed to make money off of my work, when all other students are allowed to make money during school?"

This all could have been avoided if, if, if, schools were willing 10 years ago to give all student athletes 10% per year of their TV money.

ok. I can kinda see that. So, they were hindering them from doing what everyone else is allowed to do, simply because they play sports?

Do they not also already get special privileges due to playing sports that other students don't?

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
This all could have been avoided if, if, if, schools were willing 10 years ago to give all student athletes 10% per year of their TV money.
No, its not that easy because its not all equal. A football player in the SEC has a high level of benefit already (it cost MSU about $100k a year to scholarship, stipend, house, book, tutor, medical care) a football player, where at USM its not nearly that high. Then you have the non-football sports that do not make enough money to sustain themselves, therefore depend on football money to operate and maintain Title IX.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The court is doing exactly what they are supposed to do, and that is to end ******** restrictions that forces a part of the population to not have the same rights as anyone else.
Students can transfer to any school that accepts them at anytime, for any reason. Athletes deserve no less of the same opportunity.
You can cry, moan, and groan, all you want.... but is anyone on here going to say that Student Athletes shouldn't have the ability to study at whichever school should want them?
If anything, transfers should have to count double against the schools scholarship limits the entire time they are on campus and triple if they transfer more than once.
Holy **** you don't understand what courts are for. Just a heads up, but the fact that you are restricted from Taylor Swifts pants and Travis Kelce is not is not a reason for the courts to get involved.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yes, the Bylaws are acting in a way that's against US Federal law and they have been for the better part of 50 years. Players just got the balls to say, "Why is everyone else allowed to transfer, yet I am not?" and "Why is the NCAA, the conference, the school, etc all allowed to make money off of my work, when all other students are allowed to make money during school?"

Not every student is getting everything those student athletes are. They commit to a school they are signing a contract. If they leave they owe. If they don't produce they owe or are fired for cause. Universities start doing that and you will see a lot less jumping. You want to jump x school has to pay your buyout to y school but if you want to go to school y in the first place you are signing for 3 year deal. Just like with coaches. They want to be treated like adults they can have adult contracts and adult taxes and job stipulations. No more free education as apart of it. You pay for your education out of your earnings unless you can qualify academically like other students have to. If you transfer you lose all that scholarship money for school. No more free rides on athletic scholarships for academics

Last edited:
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010

What is so hard to understand about "amateur" sports being different from "pro"? There are amateurs in other sports, not all of which are even connected to colleges. They are not allowed to earn money from their play and still remain amateur. But they are free to take other jobs to earn money.

Same is true of football players. Nobody is saying they can't take a job on the side...just that, in order to be considered an amateur student-athlete they should not be allowed to make money from their playing football as an amateur. Doing so makes them a professional.

Granted, the time demands on football players are such that many potential jobs aren't feasible, but the same is true for any student at a university...just more so for the athletes. But then those athletes on scholarship are already "earning" the money it takes just to attend college, and are getting an education that should help them get better jobs/careers after graduation. That is called "compensation" and has been given in exchange for their contribution to athletics for the university as amateur student-athletes.

The greed of the players is what is going to kill college sports. By them becoming mercenaries, open to the highest bid, what makes them any different than a semi-pro player, other than they still must attend some classes to qualify?

I've stated from before all this **** became reality that it would ruin college sports in large part because there will be little perceived "we" with student body, alums & fans. It is "us" and "them", no loyalty to school like the loyalty we here on this board have for our beloved MSU.

Before, we could at a minimum convince ourselves they were one of us...part of our "MSU family", sharing in our love for all things MSU. With this **** now they are becoming about as much a part of my family as my trusted automobile mechanic. Yeah, I trust him and always bring my car to him, but I don't consider him even a friend, much less a pseudo family member. And that's because the only reason he fixes my car is because he gets paid to do it.

There is a reason semi-pro football teams have rarely, if ever done well financially. Their athletes aren't good enough to play in the NFL, and they don't share the camaraderie players used to with their school's students, alum, fans. There just isn't the appeal that goes with the NFL or that used to go with amateur student-athletes.

I said it before and will still stand behind it now...if this doesn't change, & fast, these players are going to kill the goose-that-laid-the-golden-egg. Golden egg being the education, r&b, BMOC, professional, top-tier coaching to help them increase their chances of earning big $ in pro sports, and media exposure. The cause of death being steadily increasing loss of interest and apathy by fans, which will lead to lack of interest by media, which will in turn reduce revenue to a point the vast majority of universities will lose money, thus not hire good coaches, improve facilities, or perhaps even keep a football program at all.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
ok. I can kinda see that. So, they were hindering them from doing what everyone else is allowed to do, simply because they play sports?

Do they not also already get special privileges due to playing sports that other students don't?

phenomenal sentence in the court order : “once an institution lures an athlete to their school (often with the promise of NIL Money)…”

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
Perhaps I missed it, but is there language that prevents “in season” transfers?

As in- Josh Hubbard passes all classes fall semester. Could he, in good academic standing, now transfer to UNC for the spring semester?

And, if not, could he not make the same argument in the courts, and get an injunction to be eligible at UNC?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login