Ross Dellinger on Matt Luke's retirement from coaching & how more can follow...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Ross Dellinger on Matt Luke's retirement from coaching & how more can follow...

In February, Matt Luke became the latest - not last - to leave college coaching.Soaring salaries, mounting pressures & an evaporating quality of life: How year-around recruiting is chasing away coaches.“How do people over 30 keep up with this ****?”https://t.co/XwznYzUCgA— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) April 22, 2022

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Seems like there's a movement to try and paint college sports in the worst light possible. I guess this is what happens when the "money is just too much". At first it was all the lefties crying about pay for play. Now it's all the righties pining for the old days. The 80s ain't coming back, they are long gone. The whole era from then until now was ruled by under the table pay for play, with coaching salaries skyrocketing. Now we've shifted back to what things needed to be all along.

We all know that college ball is just a bigger travel/select ball system, in all sports. There's never been equity in the teams, and that's the attractiveness of it, to an extent. You get to choose who you play for. It's ALWAYS been about recruiting, from the beginning. You get the best players, you have the best chance to win. And now the highly-paid coaches are bitching about it?

Even in all this, I see a chance for MSU to REALLY go against the grain in football and basketball. And we're doing that right now. But I hope we don't quit once Leach retires. I don't care if it's the air raid or triple option, we have to do things differently, we can't get wrapped up in this recruiting race. Obviously there's a minimum level we must recruit, have facilities, etc. Beyond that, it's the moneyball way for us.

In baseball, we can out-recruit people. So we should do that.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
In February, Matt Luke became the latest - not last - to leave college coaching.Soaring salaries, mounting pressures & an evaporating quality of life: How year-around recruiting is chasing away coaches.“How do people over 30 keep up with this ****?”https://t.co/XwznYzUCgA— Ross Dellenger (@RossDellenger) April 22, 2022

Well, we do not have to worry about our coach getting burned out trying to outwork other coaches in the conference.** I am a huge Mike Leach fan, BTW.

tatedog

Mar 28, 2015
If you've been in that profession since your 20's there's no reason you shouldn't be able to walk away at 50 if you don't love it. You can't say that about many jobs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login