Ross with much more details on the revenue sharing.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
One call, that's all! If you are a college football fan you may be due compensation. I want my money now! JG Wentworth.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I think $22M is just the minimum. I doubt there's going to be a cap. But this could actually help us on a comparative basis. Say we're spending $5,000,000 now and the big boys are spending $15,000,000. This would boost us to $27,000,000 vs their $37,000,000. So we'd be at 73% of what they're paying vs 33% now.
The settlement wording is 22% of Revnue. So there is a cap. However each schools revenue share payout will different.

Example being in 2023, Alabama revenue is approximately $200million. OM is approximately $133 million. Where as ours is, approximately $115 million. So their 22% to share will be larger than our shared amount.

But I agree with your overall point. We will share more money now with athletes. However I have no idea what budget item(s) State will cut to afford that payout.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The agreement outlines a 10-year revenue-sharing plan that is transformative for college sports. If approved, NCAA member institutions will be allowed to share 22 percent of the average annual power conference revenue, stemming from media rights, ticket sales, sponsorships, etc., with their student-athletes every year―an amount that roughly adds up to $22 million annually in 2025-2026, and which could grow to $32.9 million by the end of the 10-year agreement.

Importantly, the revenue sharing plan is permissive and allows for any and all DI schools to participate if they have the funds. There is no requirement that any DI schools participate. Indeed, the parties agreed that schools can opt into an athlete pay model of sports revenue, with schools able to pay players up to an annual salary cap of about $22 million initially. The cap amount is for all athletes in a school’s athletic program, with schools having discretion in how they allot payments. Additionally, colleges can also directly pay athletes for use of their NIL, though such payments would count toward the $22 million cap. As discussed further below, athletes can continue to sign NIL deals with third parties, and since the school would not be the payer, those deals wouldn’t impact a school’s compliance with the cap.

https://www.duanemorris.com/alerts/...hot_resolving_three_antitrust_cases_0824.html

Reactions: patdog
Jul 11, 2024
Exactly! Oatis is a perfect example of that. I’ve said all along paying players with no transfer portal would be a nightmare for smaller schools. I always go back to that Bama team that had Najee and Damien Harris, Bo Scarborough, and Josh Jacobs. With the portal, one or two of those guys would have probably transferred out.
Transfers should be allowed but there has to be some sort of limitation on it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The agreement outlines a 10-year revenue-sharing plan that is transformative for college sports. If approved, NCAA member institutions will be allowed to share 22 percent of the average annual power conference revenue, stemming from media rights, ticket sales, sponsorships, etc., with their student-athletes every year―an amount that roughly adds up to $22 million annually in 2025-2026, and which could grow to $32.9 million by the end of the 10-year agreement.

Importantly, the revenue sharing plan is permissive and allows for any and all DI schools to participate if they have the funds. There is no requirement that any DI schools participate. Indeed, the parties agreed that schools can opt into an athlete pay model of sports revenue, with schools able to pay players up to an annual salary cap of about $22 million initially. The cap amount is for all athletes in a school’s athletic program, with schools having discretion in how they allot payments. Additionally, colleges can also directly pay athletes for use of their NIL, though such payments would count toward the $22 million cap. As discussed further below, athletes can continue to sign NIL deals with third parties, and since the school would not be the payer, those deals wouldn’t impact a school’s compliance with the cap.

https://www.duanemorris.com/alerts/...hot_resolving_three_antitrust_cases_0824.html
Interesting. Took a couple of reads but I think I understand it now. Schools can pay up to a cap of 22% of total revenues to players directly. Then the NIL can pay more on top of that if they want to. That sound right to you?

Reactions: Maroon13

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Interesting. Took a couple of reads but I think I understand it now. Schools can pay up to a cap of 22% of total revenues to players directly. Then the NIL can pay more on top of that if they want to. That sound right to you?
Correct. And it sounds like we need to be recategorizing as much as possible as “Revenue”.

Reactions: patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
So what happens if a significant portion of the fans of College sports gets sick of this whole thing and stop buying tickets, stop giving their hard earned money, and stop watching the games on TV? Who’s going to fund the payments then?
I don't know how many schools will fund a $40 million dollar addition to their operating expenses even if the fans stay fully engaged.

Oh I know!*. Watch ticket prices and donation requirements double for seats.

NOW THAT, will turn many many people away.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
105 will not hurt State. That insures there will be a lot of 4 stars entering the portal every year. These guys will all head to the big schools and learn really fast they are just another fish. they will see school like MSU as a place they will get to play.
Might wanna pass this along to Mario Nash, ya know -- before he wastes precious time at another school with a Scrooge McDuck sized NIL pool.

Scrooge Mcduck Money GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login