Rossville - Potts Camp Basketball Fiasco

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I knew a ref that used to tell this story: He and a buddy were calling a game somewhere at a small school in the Starkville, Columbus, Louisville area. This would have been at least 50 years ago. All through the girls game there was a guy that was riding his buddy. He was calling him a son of a #$%^& at every call. The guy took it till the 1st quarter of the boys game. He said the guy came up to him and said "If that guy calls me a SOB one more time I'm going after him." The guy I knew said he tried to calm him down and told him you just can't do that. He said, " I know, but if he does it again, I'm doing it." The guy I knew said he was at half court and a basket was scored. He said he turned around and ran to the other end. When he turned around he said all the players were stopped looking up in the stands. He said the other ref, a BIG guy, was chasing the guy that had been yelling around the stands. He caught him, grabbed him by the collar, took him to the front door, stood him up, and PUNCHED the guy through the door. He came back in, blew his whistle and said , "Play ball!" They had no more trouble that night and nothing was ever said. It was a different world back then.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I can say that it very well could have been someone not affiliated with Potts Camp since a lot of Rossville fans sit on the visitors side. And the ejected "fan" was listed as an AAU coach. I will say Rossville has recruited heavily. First on the boys side then last year raided Fayette HS on the girls side.

"AAU coach" . . . that explains a lot.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Nothing other than helping some kids leagues when I was in high school.

I can think of a ton of reasons not to but the kids yelling at me isn’t one.

As a matter of fact, the kids yelling at me would be one reason I might want to do it. Something a little exciting.

Again I want to clear. I’m not talking about down on the court leaning over the line being personal. I’m talking about kids do normal chants.

Im blind I’m deaf I wanna be a ref
Ref you suck ref you suck
Etc

Agree.

I currently officiate high school girls lacrosse games in Virginia. Lacrosse is played outside on the football field, so I've never had any problems with fans yelling the typical things that fans might yell. The normal stuff doesn't bother me at all, and I would never take offense to it. In fact, I rarely hear anything at all from the stands, because I'm concentrating on the game and we're outside where it's difficult to hear anyone yelling from the stands.

On the other hand, someone squaring up to me and calling me a MF'er is a different situation.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Agree.

I currently officiate high school girls lacrosse games in Virginia. Lacrosse is played outside on the football field, so I've never had any problems with fans yelling the typical things that fans might yell. The normal stuff doesn't bother me at all, and I would never take offense to it. In fact, I rarely hear anything at all from the stands, because I'm concentrating on the game and we're outside where it's difficult to hear anyone yelling from the stands.

On the other hand, someone squaring up to me and calling me a MF'er is a different situation.
I’ve got no problem with this analysis!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login